Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I have so many M42 lenses, I might pick up an A1, as I would be able to use all of these lenses with an adapter.
Hmmm.... can you perhaps point us to a link to such an adapter? I've got an A-1 which I'd love to use my Pentax M42s with....

06-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I once owned a Canon A-1. Someone stuck a pocket calculator in the viewfinder, so I sold it.

Chris
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #63
Veteran Member

germar: here is a link for the adapter:

Lens Mt. Adapter f/M42 to Canon FL/FD

Chris: was the viewfinder readout the only thing that irked you? Also, I thought I had read that the readout could be turned off.
06-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Gee, I'm not sure which is worse, bright red LED numerals in the finder or no readout at all.

FWIW I have never owned a Pentax Super Program/Super A or Nikon F3, either.
An alphanumeric exposure readout exposure requires an extra thought process to interpret,
during which time you might miss the shot.

A needle or LED/LCD dots on a linear scale is far more intuitive to use.
All you need to see is the indicator's approximate position in your peripheral vision.

Later Pentax cameras wisely incorporate both systems.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-22-2008 at 04:41 PM.
06-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Interesting comments, djohnfot. I had heard that the ME and ME Super are quiet. You mention some other cameras...would you know how the Canon A1 would compare? I ask because I like the features of the A1 body (and the build quality seems good, too), and am thinking that, since I have so many M42 lenses, I might pick up an A1, as I would be able to use all of these lenses with an adapter.

Glen
The A1 isn't as quiet as an ME but isn't bad. It is a high quality camera but not nearly as common as many other Canon models. I've not used one in many years so I'm not sure how easy it would be to do stopdown metering using M42 lenses with a Canon adaptor. Since Canon lenses are so plentiful and cheap, why not stick with the real thing, unless you like to do M42 stop-down metering? I personaly don't mind stop down but it's much easier on a camera made for it - like one of the wonderful Spotmatics of yore or some of the very nice Yashicas or Ricohs out there.
06-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to the OP question

I would take neither, Like some here I prefer the KX, with matched needle metering, shutter speed and apature in the view finder.

The KX, and I think I have posted this before, is a virtual tank. Compared to it, the ME (or any M series camera) feels like a toy.

In fact the small size of the M series is what made me go for a Ricoh XR2s initially. I bought a used KX as a back up body, and it fit that role perfectly because the viewfinders were identical in layout (note the ricoh had a green needle in place of blue).

In terms of noise, the one thng that I will never forget is the sound of the clockwork mechanical timer on long exposures.
06-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmmm. you guys have me pondering a KX
I may need to go on a hunt for one.
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #68
Forum Member

Hi.I have read that there are problems with light metering on ME Super. Users write, that because of difference in voltage of old and new batteries (new batteries have higher voltage) the metering works with error (1-1.5 Ev).

Is it true?

06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #69
Pentaxian

All Pentax K mount manual focus SLRs including the ME Super were designed to use currently available 1.5V 44/76/357 button cells.
Perhaps you are confusing the ME Super with screwmount Pentax cameras, many of which used no longer available mercury batteries.

Chris
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
All Pentax K mount manual focus SLRs including the ME Super were designed to use currently available 1.5V 44/76/357 button cells.
Perhaps you are confusing the ME Super with screwmount Pentax cameras, many of which used no longer available mercury batteries.

Chris
I have been using hearing aid batteries and they work perfectly.
06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Chris, I've read that the Spotmatic II has a circuit bridge in it so that it doesn't really matter if it is 1.35v or 1.5v. I'm actually using a Exell S400PX silver oxide 1.5v in my SP II and it hasn't seemed to affect the meter. I took a reading outside with my Walz Coronet B, my clip on Asahi meter (which has the correct Wein 1.35v battery) plus with the Spotmatic and all of them agreed. I don't know about the earlier SP though.

CW
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The KX, and I think I have posted this before, is a virtual tank. Compared to it, the ME (or any M series camera) feels like a toy.
Lowell: Actually the size of the ME Super is probably the most attractive feature next to the amazingly bright viewfinder. This camera packs quite a punch *without* being a heavyweight... it handles like no other SLR of it's class. Drop a pancake lens on it and tuck it in the side pocket of your camera bag as a hot spare. I believe Pentax marketing of the era actually used the size and feel as a major selling point for the ME Super.

While I can appreciate the tank-like qualities of other Pentax models, remember ... it's not the size of the camera, it's how you use it.

...that's is how that saying goes, isn't it?

germar
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #73
Pentaxian

''IS'' the me super the smallest in its class?
06-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #74
Pentaxian

All the Spotmatics were designed to use the PX400 battery, with the exception of the SP-F which uses the PX625.
Fortunately they will all meter accurately with modern 1.5V equivalents.
FWIW silver oxide cells are preferable to other types. They last longest and have the most stable output.

The ES and ESII use a still readily available 544 6V silver battery.

Chris
06-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Lowell: Actually the size of the ME Super is probably the most attractive feature next to the amazingly bright viewfinder. This camera packs quite a punch *without* being a heavyweight... it handles like no other SLR of it's class. Drop a pancake lens on it and tuck it in the side pocket of your camera bag as a hot spare. I believe Pentax marketing of the era actually used the size and feel as a major selling point for the ME Super.
It's smaller than a Leica M7.

That's right. I went there.