Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Though I love the concept of the Pentax MX it's a model I could never get used to using.
IMO too many compromises were made in pursuit of miniaturization (AKA "beating Olympus"!).

The MX shutter speed indicator intrudes too far into the focus screen area of the viewfinder.
The MX shutter speed dial is too stiff, and too close to the pentaprism cover to grasp and turn easily.
The MX top and bottom covers are too thin and easily dented.

The size of the camera makes it unergonomic for those of us with larger hands.
Fortunately most of the features important to me are available in the Pentax KX.

Chris
Ditto!

Phil.

07-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Though I love the concept of the Pentax MX it's a model I could never get used to using.
IMO too many compromises were made in pursuit of miniaturization (AKA "beating Olympus"!).

The MX shutter speed indicator intrudes too far into the focus screen area of the viewfinder.
The MX shutter speed dial is too stiff, and too close to the pentaprism cover to grasp and turn easily.

Fortunately most of the features important to me are available in the Pentax KX.

Chris
I agree, especially with point 3, but to be fair Pentax still offered metal covers and didn't pursuit the all plastic construction like other makers (Minolta X700 and Canon A--1) so today the MX and ME feel more "quality" products.

The viewfinder and lightmeter of the MX are better than the KX IMO, but still they can't balance the drewbacks, plus according to more than a repairer the miniature dimensions make the MX a difficult camera to work on.

For me the "ideal" size is represented by the bigger LX and other similar cameras like the Nikon FM and Fujica AX5/ST705.
07-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Chris
Not my favorite camera, but I have three now in various stages of repair.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Ditto!

Phil.
Also applies to the MESuper I got as a sales contest spiff in 1984. To be fair, that camera and the M50/1.4 served me well for a decade and a half, so I can't really complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I agree, especially with point 3, but to be fair Pentax still offered metal covers and didn't pursuit the all plastic construction like other makers (Minolta X700 and Canon A--1) so today the MX and ME feel more "quality" products.

The viewfinder and lightmeter of the MX are better than the KX IMO, but still they can't balance the drewbacks, plus according to more than a repairer the miniature dimensions make the MX a difficult camera to work on.

For me the "ideal" size is represented by the bigger LX and other similar cameras like the Nikon FM and Fujica AX5/ST705.
The viewfinder of an MX might be larger and somewhat brighter than a KX, but either with the matte and microprism focusing screen or the split prism, focusing the KX is a dream. I much prefer the blue match-needle metering system to the clear dial and LED's on the MX.

And a KX fits my hands.
07-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #19

Original Poster
many times i've seen (including original MX brochure) accenting 'features'. besides selftimer (present even on most of the cheap cameras) and DOF preview (can't imagine simpler 'device') the MX represents simplest SLR concept.. which i like. (ok, there are in-viewfinder displays of fstop and time which can be considered as features, but i tend to ignore them as in every camera)

note about notoriously stiff speed dial - have someone tried to make it smoother? there have to be a ring with notches and some springed pin, maybe edges of the notches can be rounded with needle file or something..

07-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by misok Quote
many times i've seen (including original MX brochure) accenting 'features'. besides selftimer (present even on most of the cheap cameras) and DOF preview (can't imagine simpler 'device') the MX represents simplest SLR concept.. which i like. (ok, there are in-viewfinder displays of fstop and time which can be considered as features, but i tend to ignore them as in every camera)

note about notoriously stiff speed dial - have someone tried to make it smoother? there have to be a ring with notches and some springed pin, maybe edges of the notches can be rounded with needle file or something..
Speed dial is stiff but if you can use two fingers it's no issue. I found the lower speeds from 1/30 down are harder to dial on my sample.

The Pentax - flick/mlu works good. It's safe to perform it?
07-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Actually it's not true that most cameras on that era had DOF preview and selftimer, for instance the K1000 don't have them, the DOF preview wasn't present on the ME and ME super as far as I remember, the more upmarket Canon A-1 doesn't have it either.

For the self timer, noble camera like the Leica M4-2 and M4-P had it removed as well, so the MX is not a bare to bone camera at all.
07-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #22

Original Poster
yes, you're right. 1976 is not really that ancient date when it comes to SLRs, but it's true that MX can be considered as 'with features'. it's simple camera, but if we sum up interchangable backs and focusing screens, cocked shutter indicator, DOF preview, selftimer and all viewfinders indicators, motor and winder options, it's quite a lot. i stand corrected
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes it's a sort of "semi" professional model, so called professional cameras like the later Leica R6 and various Contax models had more or less the same amount of accessories the MX had, it was even more pro in this sense than the most pro model, the K2DMD...that anyway was a very sturdy camera unlike the MX.

07-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, the DMD has its own issues. I'm surprised there's so much plastic in the DMD for an accessory from that time period. The K2 DMD is one of my all-time favorites from Pentax (second only to the MX), but others have had trouble with the ISO ring.

The K2 DMD is heavy and feels great to hold.
07-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

When introduced the MX was positioned as the Pentax professional system camera.

Chris
07-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

When introduced the MX was positioned as the Pentax professional system camera.

Chris
That's what I thought.
07-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Same here... not too big, not too small. I love my MXs but LX is the perfect handler for me. I've had mine for about a year and a half and am only sad it took me so long to pick one up.
07-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
very clean examples there, especially compared to mine.. yes, i've always preferred SLR look without a hotshoe (i use flash maybe once a year and even then prefer to have it on cable) and MX is quite a lot about the size so i tried it on one and i'm happy, it's even nicer and more touch-friendly.
I have gained an appreciation of slrs without a hotshoe also.

07-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Actually it's not true that most cameras on that era had DOF preview and selftimer, for instance the K1000 don't have them, the DOF preview wasn't present on the ME and ME super as far as I remember, the more upmarket Canon A-1 doesn't have it either.
Hi Cuthbert,
The A-1 stop down preview is by the rectangular slide on lower left front looking down from top. But the FD lens has to be taken off A and then put back to A to take the photo. ( Page 76)
The A1 has a self timer of either 2 or 10 sec. The lever on left of vf has to be set to the white dot and the lever on right top has to be set to "2" or "10".(Page 66)
As I have mentioned before, i think the A-1 is a sturdy camera that will last forever, but its controls are a dog's breakfast.
07-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have gained an appreciation of slrs without a hotshoe also.
Cool, looks like a chorus line!

Phil.