Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really enjoyed the Maitani lectures particularly with regards to what it took to develop the OM1 by the efficient use of underutilized areas - OLYMPUS | Olympus History: the Olympus OM-1 - the XA Series. I figure that if it was an accomplishment to achieve the OM1 size then the MX must be something given the traditional layout with full info on the viewfinder.

Yoshihisa Maintain's full lecture starts at http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/lecture/lecture2/index.html

Last edited by LesDMess; 07-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.
07-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #32

Original Poster
LesDMess, you seem to be the ultimate shoeless king.
I'm not a collector, but i admit i wanted to get nikon F/F2 and older Spotmatic, just for the tank-feel and design without a hotshoe. i ended up adding MXs and really wanting to use them, but i may eventually get those 60s machines as well one day.

And thank you for interesting links.

Last edited by misok; 07-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
07-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Count me among those who love the size of the MX. I have had two (one is still with me and one was stolen) and they are my favorite film bodies. Actually, until the K3, they were probably my favorite SLR bodies of all time, period, even edging out the LX.. I do not have large hands, and the small size meant coat pocket capability or multiple bodies in a still smallish kit. I'm a big believer in the best camera you have being the one you have.
07-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Count me among those who love the size of the MX. I have had two (one is still with me and one was stolen) and they are my favorite film bodies. Actually, until the K3, they were probably my favorite SLR bodies of all time, period, even edging out the LX.. I do not have large hands, and the small size meant coat pocket capability or multiple bodies in a still smallish kit. I'm a big believer in the best camera you have being the one you have.
I have large hands but MX fits in then naturally as any Pentax body.

07-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer my MXs (X4) to my lovely LX for it's manual simplicity. (Though it is fascinating watching the LX doing it's automatic low light timing exposures.) KX is my second preference since the small size of the MX suits me fine.
07-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Cuthbert,
The A-1 stop down preview is by the rectangular slide on lower left front looking down from top. But the FD lens has to be taken off A and then put back to A to take the photo. ( Page 76)
The A1 has a self timer of either 2 or 10 sec. The lever on left of vf has to be set to the white dot and the lever on right top has to be set to "2" or "10".(Page 66)
As I have mentioned before, i think the A-1 is a sturdy camera that will last forever, but its controls are a dog's breakfast.
...then as a DOF preview it's useless!
07-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I prefer my MXs (X4) to my lovely LX for it's manual simplicity. (Though it is fascinating watching the LX doing it's automatic low light timing exposures.) KX is my second preference since the small size of the MX suits me fine.
LX sounds interesting for landscapes! I wonder why not a digital camera can do this..
07-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
LX sounds interesting for landscapes! I wonder why not a digital camera can do this..
The LX is interesting for everything...if I had to have a single SLR I would choose either a LX or A Canon F-1N.

07-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
...then as a DOF preview it's useless!
Right on that, furthermore there are so many ifs and buts about using the A-1 in manual mode, its just not worthwhile.

I shouldn't mention , but owning an A-1 reinforces the elegant simplicity of K mount and cameras like the Pentax MX and the Ricoh KR-5
07-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Right on that, furthermore there are so many ifs and buts about using the A-1 in manual mode, its just not worthwhile.

I shouldn't mention , but owning an A-1 reinforces the elegant simplicity of K mount and cameras like the Pentax MX and the Ricoh KR-5
I recently discovered a long forgotten competitor of the A-1, the Fujica AX-5 and with great surprise I found out it's the camera the A-1 should have been but never was: it can be used in auto, semiauto or manual, DOF, excellent set of lenses, beautiful finder with two columns of leds for aperture and shutter speed....of course it just works with batteries, with the Fujinon f1.2 it takes serious pics:

And yes, it's more or less as tiny as a MX.
07-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I have to wonder what share of marketing made cannon better than the others...

Edit:

Even today Ae1 looks as popular "hipster " camera..I'm not implying Pentax is best..but as there was noted Fuji..
07-07-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

I have to wonder what share of marketing made cannon better than the others...

Edit:

Even today Ae1 looks as popular "hipster " camera..I'm not implying Pentax is best..but as there was noted Fuji..
Canon unlike Pentax stubbornly tried to compete with Nikon from the 60s and until now, they understood the importance of the pro market (unlike Minolta and Pentax who launched a single model to compete in that share and then abandoned it because consumer's cameras in the 80s were more lucrative), listened to them, they organized an aggressive campaign of promotion (just think about the F-1 camera of the Olympic games, supporting the 1982 Soccer championship, various soccer clubs in Europe at the same time etc...) and finally they were available to experiment: they invented the program camera, the A-1, that was groundbreaking.

Their competitors like the Super A and AX-5 were better cameras, but they weren't the first...same thing for the aspherical lenses, to mention another technology they massively invested in the development...I don't think Nikon ever tried to make lense with floating aspherical elements.

Pentax had huge potentialities but they dropped the ball, Fuji in the 70s and in the 80s made good quality cameras (actually the ST801 and 705 are as good or for some aspects better than Spotties, for instance) then they decided to patent their own bayonet instead of adopting the K mount and that was the end: the X mount lenses are brilliant but to enjoy them you need an X body, today it's not a problem because they are cheap but in the 80s nobody could afford another system if he already had Pentax, Nikon or Canon.
07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #43
Pentaxian

There is no other camera - model or brand, film or digital, past or present, that can meter like the LX. In fact, I am not aware of any external meter that can either.