Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #1

Astrophotography help!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking to do some astrophotography with my Pentax MX, would anyone be able to advise me which T Ring I would need for this model?

(such as this TS-Optics T-Ring for Pentax K SLR and DSLR cameras: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo )

I'm not very good with technical stuff! Thanks

06-27-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For an MX you will ned a T Ring (strictly: A T2-Ring) for Pentax K, usually labelled "P/K". But what kind of optics will you be using?
06-27-2015, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B002BFKO2G/r...7ZKZSS2K61F6JN
Here is an amazon link to the one I have. I have it fixed to my field flatener so for me its like mounting a small lens that I then place in the telescope.
07-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm very much a beginner with all of this and I'm not looking to take professional standard photos obviously but for anything to come out at all would be great!

I am using this telescope http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-21041-PowerSeeker-60-Telescope/dp/B0002CTZAC
And have ordered this adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000665V6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE (is it the right thing)
Is the T ring the only thing left to get?

Do you have any other tips for taking analogue photographs through a telescope?

Thanks for your help so far guys

08-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For film astro, shoot Acros.

The reciprocity failure is minimal - I think it's a half a stop beyond a few minutes.

On the other hand, looking at the scope you'll use, there's no real option for guiding, so your best bet will be to shoot something big and bright, like the moon.

In this case, your scope will be about F11.7. An exposure of the moon surface will likely be 1/250 second when using Acros. Remember, the moon is a sunlit surface, so the sunny 16 rule works here.

It's worth a try to see how it goes.
08-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob you need this bit too
T2 T Mount Lens Adapter Ring for Pentax K PK K-7 K-x: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics