Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1000 enthusiasts and would-be owners, attention!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If you're looking for a K1000 that's a bit out of the ordinary, here's one to consider.

06-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
The one you have linked to is the second variation of brown K1000SE body which coincidentally is the second most common variation. Of the brown SE's the first variation (bump on top) is the hardest to find with the other 2 variations being the more common. It basicaly works out that the newer the brown body the more common it is.

If you want a rare one try this one here. This is the original version of K1000SE
What I see in the linked auction is an assembled-in-Hong Kong K1000 with aftermarket body covering and glue residue from the JCII sticker. The black/silver K1000SE should have a leather-look body covering and engraved SE on the left front of the camera.

Edit: I take that back. I did a little Google work and found a similar camera right here on this site. With a little jog to the brain, I actually remember this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/178779-k1000-se-sticker.html

The camera under discussion there had a combination split-image/microprism focus screen and the ASA 20-2300 range typical of the SE. According to one of the owners, the diamond rubber cover is quite stinky. FWIW, there is a comment on that thread regarding bodies with a "SE" sticker, but with regular black coverings.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-29-2015 at 04:09 PM.
06-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It does say Make in Hong Kong on the bottom plate. Maybe that part isn't original.
06-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No SE's were produced with the standard leatherette covering and sticker.
There is at least one user on this site who would disagree with you on that assertion.

BTW...I have found the various discussion regarding K1000 versions to be, umm, fascinating. The camera was in production for some 21 years from a parts bin that changed significantly over time in at least three different countries on an unknown number of assembly lines and supply chains in each country. The situation is comically similar to that of cameras and lenses made in the former Soviet Union. Those who deal with FSU gear know all too well what I mean. For those that don't, consider the FED-2 rangefinder* (http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?1883986375). It is truly amazing that the K1000 is as homogenous as it is.

Steve

(Owns a FED-2, type D-6 (pretty sure), made in 1963 (I think), in Kharkov, Ukraine (almost certain))

* The FED-2 was produced for 25 years with over 1,600,000 cameras made. It has often been called the K1000 of rangefinder cameras, even though most of its original owners lived in Europe and the Soviet Bloc.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-29-2015 at 08:21 PM.
06-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you're looking for a K1000 that's a bit out of the ordinary, here's one to consider.
I scored that same one from a pawn shop for $20.00 with an additional 135mm, flash, close up lenses and a leather bag.
06-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my FED2. No idea what variant it is, it is great to take pictures with...
06-30-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The one you have linked to is the second variation of brown K1000SE body which coincidentally is the second most common variation. Of the brown SE's the first variation (bump on top) is the hardest to find with the other 2 variations being the more common. It basicaly works out that the newer the brown body the more common it is.

If you want a rare one try this one here. This is the original version of K1000SE
Hey ! I have one of those ! Picked it up at an auction for the lenses...My serial number is 7768XXX any info would be appreciated.
This is the exact model camera I used in 1981-1982 for my High school photography class. My teacher apologized that mine wasn't like everyone elses and was a older model that was old stock. When I saw this one at auction cheap it brought back those memories and I wanted the 3 lenses. I Paid about $50-$55 for it and tossed it in a sealed vacuum bag......there it has sat for a few months.......until now......and it is going to be for Sale as soon as I find a A-76 battery !
Mine has the Bump....ISO 20-3200..... Split Prism.....came with a SE sticker which I removed......serial number on top......says nothing on the bottom......and the diamond Rubber cover doesn't stink at all ! Mine is identical to the one in the auction link....minus the stickers
Will post a picture later this morning.....Im in shock that this is older than the brown leatherette SE model with the bump and is Rare.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-30-2015 at 04:27 AM.
06-30-2015, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I seem to have started quite the discussion here. The one I posted was the first nonstandard K-1000 I've yet seen on e-bay (shows you how little I look at the cameras, as opposed to the lenses).

QuoteOriginally posted by _Ben Quote
I scored that same one from a pawn shop for $20.00 with an additional 135mm, flash, close up lenses and a leather bag.

I wish I had a pawnshop near me where I could pick up interesting cameras and great lenses dirt cheap!!!
06-30-2015, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I seem to have started quite the discussion here. The one I posted was the first nonstandard K-1000 I've yet seen on e-bay (shows you how little I look at the cameras, as opposed to the lenses).
I wish I had a pawnshop near me where I could pick up interesting cameras and great lenses dirt cheap!!!
Yes You sure did ! And Im actually quite grateful for it. I have wondered about this camera since I was 17 years old.....never saw one like it since high school......and the one I bought a few months ago......It was an Inigma.....until today......thank YOU !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.
06-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I look at the K1000SE, whether is a sticker SE or engraved SE or has brown, black or black diamond covering, is that it's not an official Pentax model.

The K1000SE did not have its own camera manual and looks too cheap to come from a Japanese design team. Pentax did not have a habit of using stickers for model names or tacky brown or diamond coverings.
My guess the K1000SE is a distributor "creation/request" (Like the Honeywell Spotmatics) for a specific market, there were many of these special versions/anniversary editions over the years for many Pentax cameras.

No mater what variation of K1000SE you have it's still just a plain old K1000 and is not worth much. If you want a collectors camera worth some money, then look at the special edition LX's .

Phil.
06-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The way I look at the K1000SE, whether is a sticker SE or engraved SE or has brown, black or black diamond covering, is that it's not an official Pentax model.

The K1000SE did not have its own camera manual and looks too cheap to come from a Japanese design team. Pentax did not have a habit of using stickers for model names or tacky brown or diamond coverings.
My guess the K1000SE is a distributor "creation/request" (Like the Honeywell Spotmatics) for a specific market, there were many of these special versions/anniversary editions over the years for many Pentax cameras.

No mater what variation of K1000SE you have it's still just a plain old K1000 and is not worth much. If you want a collectors camera worth some money, then look at the special edition LX's .

Phil.
Phil.....Thanks for killing all my Happiness and Joy.....lol.
06-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

it's still just a plain old K1000 and is not worth much.
I agree regarding the intrinsic value, though there are the few technical details that indicate it was more than just a reskin and required a some degree of separate manufacturing. Probably the most interesting is the expanded ASA range.

Steve
06-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just kinda got a kick that it pre dated the Brown Leatherette SE that everyone thinks was the first SE model. I love the ugly Diamond grip that is rather retro looking. The box also says K1000 Special Edition....Directly from Pentax ....... I just turned down a offer for $190 for it.....not too bad for a un-official Pentax K1000 SE Camera. Its kinda nice having something that only about 2500 other people in the whole world have owned. Im keeping it !
06-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably the most interesting is the expanded ASA range.
Weird thing is that my 1976 MIJ K1000 and my K1000SE (engraved/black) both have the same range on the ASA dial. (20-3200) I had never checked before....

Both this site and Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount have the K1000 listed as 32-3200 and the K1000SE as 20-3200. If all K1000's through out the production run had the expanded ASA range then the only difference with the SE is the split-screen and tacky coverings.

These split-screens could have been left over from the discontinued KM's & KX's and added to a K1000 as a marked up special edition. Easily done by a Pentax distributor, along with a sticker or engraving tool. Swapping the cover material was also easily done.

Not much different than ordering a black KM with a split-screen compared to a chrome with the micro-prism.

Phil.
06-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Easily done by a Pentax distributor
I suppose so:
  • Remove wind and rewind lever
  • Remove top plate
  • Unsolder hot shoe wires
  • Remove retainer for pentaprism and prism itself
  • Replace focus screen
  • Check/adjust meter calibration
  • Confirm focus calibration of replacement screen
  • Solder hot shoe wires onto replacement "SE" top plate
  • Reassemble all components with replacement "SE" top plate taking care that the optical path is fully dust free
  • Remove existing factory leatherette
  • Apply replacement leatherette
  • Repackage in special "SE" packaging
Piece of cake, right? I would provide a time estimate of about 45-60 minutes for the screen swap and 30 minutes for the reskin and repackaging. I would add another 15 minutes to swap in the 20-3200 ISO dial and circuitry.* What kind of price markup was assigned to the special edition?

Steve

* The 20-3200 ISO puzzles me as well. The meter circuit on the early K1000s is supposed to have retained the balanced bridge from the SPII (ASA 20-3200) before switching to a galvanometer circuit (different ASA range?) for the later models. It may be that SE cameras represent an attempt to monetize residual stock of the early body type.

(...has done all of the above on cameras similar in complexity to the K1000...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2015 at 09:34 PM.