Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We Got Rain Instead Of Fireworks...

and I got this because I stayed home, wink...

$57 plus a few $$$ to ship, which is a good few $ less than what the 35mm Tak alone is going for elsewhere, and I got another 50 1:1.4 Super Tak and a nice looking SP to go with it. Looks like the camera is in good shape, like to work. More importantly the 35 1:3.5 looks excellent and even has it's case. (Not quite sure if it's an SMC or Super Tak, but I don't suppose that matters much. Since the 50mm is a Super Tak I'm thinking likely it's that but if it's the SMC I'm cool with that too. I can tell it's not the other version with the chrome lever...) That 35 it's been the major hole in my Takumar set for a while now. I've been looking for a nice one for a while but every time I see one in nice shape the bidding goes too high for me, particularly if it's in a kit like this.

I figured this being the 4th and all, with most people usually out watching fireworks about now, I just might get lucky so I kept my eye on it. I apparently wasn't the only one home. There were 11 bids including mine, and it went about $20 higher than I hoped it would, darn it, but I still ended up winning it anyway, grin. Fact is I don't really need the pretty Spottie or the 50mm. They're just a bonus really. It's not like I am lacking in Spotties, cough, but I wanted that 35 and it was the only way to get it and not break the bank. I'm going to probably UV that 50 and sell that and the SP together, make back what I spent and keep the 35. Spotties in this kind of condition are actually bringing in some money lately, particularly if they have that 50 on them. I can definitely make back what I just spent, maybe even make a few $$$$ profit, who knows.

Oh, and the best part? I didn't have to kill the bank account to grab it. Dad handed me $100 this morning. Guilt money, lol. He's been driving me really crazy all week, wanting me to do stuff, hardly letting me rest and I was really sick. I yelled at him a bit yesterday because I was just feeling too worn down for any more chores. I think he finally realized what a dickhead he was being and felt bad. He told me to go out tonight and have some fun with my BFF's. We meant to go downtown, park by the water, eat junk and watch fireworks but the rain totally killed that plan.

I'm still itchy, but my fever is gone today and I'm not actively blistering as of yesterday, so I am assuming I can't give the Shingles to anyone else at this point. They've both had the chicken pox. I was going to stay by the car while they grabbed some junk food, still away from too many people, but oh well. Since I ended up not going I still had the $100 in my pocket. Honestly I don't mind that we didn't at all. It's still close to 90 outside and even at night I can't take the heat. I'm not fond of noise or mosquitoes. I'd much rather have this lot than do that. I'm not sure I am up to tons of sweets and loud noises anyway...

So this is my M42 Taks list as of today:

SMC Takumar 28mm/3.5 Lens w/ Lens Cap
SMC or Super Takumar 35mm 1:3.5 (Likely Good+ with caps and case.)
Super-Takumar 1:1.4 50mm (Yellowed)
SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm (VCG, but non-original caps, no case.)
Super-Takumar 1:1.8 55mm/1.8 Lens (w/Lens Caps & Lens Case)
Auto-Takumar 1:1.8 55MM (Good/VGC but with non-original caps and no case...)
Super-Takumar 1:2.8 105mm (VGC to Mint with original caps and case.)
SMC Takumar 135mm/3.5 Lens w/ Lens Caps & Lens Case
SMC Takumar 1:4.2 200mm (Fair to good condition, came with caps and case, but not perfect.)

When it comes to prime kits I usually like to have a good range from 28mm to 300mm. I pretty much have everything I'd want in terms of Taks now except maybe for a 300 and a 75 or 85mm, the latter of which of course is pretty much a pipe dream for me on my usual budget. :P I might score a 300 someday I suppose if I am lucky but the 75 or 85, that's just not do-able for me, alas. The 105 is the most valuable lens in my collection, though I actually got it for free. Likely it always will be...

Attached Images

Last edited by magkelly; 07-04-2015 at 07:18 PM.
07-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Forum Member

Nice!
07-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I am rather pleased. This was a major score for me. I've been trying for that 35 Tak for a good long time.
07-05-2015, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Thanks. I am rather pleased. This was a major score for me. I've been trying for that 35 Tak for a good long time.
I have the K 35mm f/3.5 which supposedly has the same optical innards as your lens. It is incredibly sharp especially at f/5.6 - f/8.0. I use it mainly for landscape but recently discovered that it could yield pleasing close ups of flowers (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/298522-how-...ml#post3297108). You will be pleased with this versatile gem.

This should interest you (http://www.northcoastphotographer.net/blog/files/011447b10e76e8d88092055677bef0ff-6.html).

Last edited by chmance; 07-05-2015 at 04:57 AM.
07-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice catch!

There are alot of folks using sniper software to grab the goodies from eBay. Even on the 4th lots have preset the bid watchers to grab the gesr.

But sounds like you will be earning some on this, selling off the surpluses.
07-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably, IF I can bring myself to sell it in the end. :P FYI, I have like 10 Spotties of different kinds. I picked most of them up when building my Tak collection. Including this one I now have 3 SP's and they're all in stellar shape actually. I don't actually shoot with the SP's much. I prefer the SPII's and my KX's so the SP's they just sort of languish most of the time. I really should sell those and put the $$$ into sending all of my black Spotties to Eric but I'm so fond of any kind of Spottie that I really find it hard to part with them, particularly when they're in really nice condition, grin.

This one, you look close and there's almost no dust on it and no wear. Goodwill never bothers to dust anything so it must have come in that way. The camera case almost looks new, so does the lens case. Other than the normal yellowing of the 50 it looks like it was barely ever used. I have high hopes for those lenses being in grade A shape. It really looks to me like someone babied that kit. My last SP was like that too. It came in the original leathette big case, in the protective case with a couple of lenses in their cases and the nicest cotton canvas strap with thick useful decorative lobster claws. That kit, it looked like it had been packed up nearly new and never been used a day in the past 40 years. It was just stunning and I picked it up for like $40 I think it was...

I have had a huge love of Spotties and in particular SPII's since I first held one. I've gone on to use many other film cameras and like them but when I shoot with film a Spottie (SPII) is the camera I will always reach for the most and I will nearly always put a Tak on it. There's just some kind of magic happening there. I can't really explain it but there is. There is no other lens/SLR combo that does it in quite the same way as that one does. If I had to sell off every film camera I own I'd still keep an SPII, in black. I just could not be happy without one. It's a zen thing I guess. Spotties, they just make me oddly happy...
07-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Immaculate doesn't even begin to cover it. Near perfect case and strap leathers, near perfect lens case and lenses. NO dust at ALL on the equipment or in the lenses, not that my eye can see anyway. The 50 is a bit golden but it's not bad at all. The 35 is PERFECT, looks new to my eyes. The Spottie has a couple of really tiny paint chips, but otherwise looks brand new, VF is super clear and it works like it's band new too. This is easily the nicest SP kit I've seen in ages. This was a total steal. This is a $200 "near mint" kit. What it was doing at GW I will never know, estate thing I'd guess maybe? Regardless, I'm pretty sure that for the last 50 years it's been sitting in some guy's closet and he probably never used it but once or twice maybe. :P