Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 06:36 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Second roll with my Pentax ME Super

Hello, I don't post often (but lurk a lot) but I wanted to share one on my last experiences:

Last May, me and my companion went on a one week trip to Cuba, in Holguin province. I have acquired a good condition ME Super, tested it with a roll of color film before, and decided to bring the camera, along with just a roll of Illford Pan 400 black and white film. My girlfriend brought her K-r and Tamron 18-200 (which was quite good, better than I expected).

Anyway, back in the country, I sent the roll to get developped. There is not a lot of stores that do film developpement anymore in my town, so they have to send it in Montreal. I just received the photos last week, along with the negatives, and scanned everything with a Canon CanoScan 8800F, which was borrowed from a friend. I am very pleased with the results, and I think that I might be in love with this little wonder of a camera! (I'm not in love with the scanner though...)

All photos were shot with an SMC Pentax K 55mm f/1.8, mostly at f/5.6 or f/8:

Attached Images

07-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice results! Processing B&W is easy and doesn't need a dark room - just a changing bag to load film into a daylight tank. if you don't shoot much you can pick a liquid single-use developer like Rodinal which stores well and you just mix enough at a time for one use. Then, of course, you still have the scanner issue. I use an Epson 700 to scan (most of) a roll on automatic for selecting which ones to either wet-print or scan better, but for web use the fast scans aren't bad.
However, there are still film processors who will develop and scan for you, which is convenient - just depends on what phases of photography you want to try. I still find pleasure in darkroom work, enlarging to real silver photo paper. (And used enlargers are dirt cheap now.)
07-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

I like the photos you posted. I'm going to try Black & White for a change. Thanks for the inspiration.
07-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Those are some excellent photos!!

07-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BenG Quote
Hello, I don't post often (but lurk a lot) but I wanted to share one on my last experiences:

Last May, me and my companion went on a one week trip to Cuba, in Holguin province. I have acquired a good condition ME Super, tested it with a roll of color film before, and decided to bring the camera, along with just a roll of Illford Pan 400 black and white film. My girlfriend brought her K-r and Tamron 18-200 (which was quite good, better than I expected).

Anyway, back in the country, I sent the roll to get developped. There is not a lot of stores that do film developpement anymore in my town, so they have to send it in Montreal. I just received the photos last week, along with the negatives, and scanned everything with a Canon CanoScan 8800F, which was borrowed from a friend. I am very pleased with the results, and I think that I might be in love with this little wonder of a camera! (I'm not in love with the scanner though...)

All photos were shot with an SMC Pentax K 55mm f/1.8, mostly at f/5.6 or f/8:
Yep nice work!

Phil.
07-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all! Those shots look a lot better when not resize, maybe I did something wrong, but when I check them at 100% before resizing, they are a lot sharper than that!

@TomB_tx : Thanks for the tips. I did try once to develop black and white film shot with a Yashica Electro 35, and the process went fairly well, until I saw the resulting negatives. It was all covered with something that resemble water spots. I didn't want to ruin this Cuba roll, so sent it to be professionnaly done. But I will try it again...one day
07-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BenG Quote
Thanks all! Those shots look a lot better when not resize, maybe I did something wrong, but when I check them at 100% before resizing, they are a lot sharper than that!
Cool shots.
If you are uploading them to Pentax Forums they will look that way. Many people host on flckr or other similar sites and link to the image URL for better image quality. I've been using Google photos personally.

I found a ME super SE a few months ago but its in my pile of cameras that need new seals and batteries. I hope to get to it one day. Seal replacement and batteries usually cost more than I pay for these old gems. As far as scanning I got an Epson 550 for around $130 U.S. that was unused but was considered refurbished because it was a return or display or a damaged box. I hope to make it to Cuba one day as well.
07-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
@_Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by _Ben Quote
Cool shots.
If you are uploading them to Pentax Forums they will look that way. Many people host on flckr or other similar sites and link to the image URL for better image quality. I've been using Google photos personally.
Thanks for the tip, I will try Google Photo the next time! The ME Super that I used was in ok shape when I got it, tried it with a roll of film and everything was fine. Maybe it will need new seals one day, but for now, it works perfectly. I aslo bought a Super Program recently, can't wait the try that out too.