Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISO mix-up

I had shot a roll of Ilford Pan-F 50 and when I was done I replaced it with a roll of Delta 100. Apparently the Delta 100 isn't DX encoded or I screwed up some other way because the camera didn't adjust the ISO. Consequently, I've taken 7-8 shots with the wrong ISO setting.

Would you switch the camera ISO setting and just cope with overexposure for the first 8, or just continue and pull process the film? Mind you I don't expect any great fine art keepers from those shots, they aren't critical.

Buffy

06-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Personally, if there was nothing remotely interesting in the first 7-8 shots, I would just correct the ISO and work from there.
CW
06-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just continue shooting as 50 and develop accordingly.
1 stop over exposure will not harm much

PS. I don't know which camera you have, but do not rely on the DX sensor.... set the ISO manually each time

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I had shot a roll of Ilford Pan-F 50 and when I was done I replaced it with a roll of Delta 100. Apparently the Delta 100 isn't DX encoded or I screwed up some other way because the camera didn't adjust the ISO. Consequently, I've taken 7-8 shots with the wrong ISO setting.

Would you switch the camera ISO setting and just cope with overexposure for the first 8, or just continue and pull process the film? Mind you I don't expect any great fine art keepers from those shots, they aren't critical.

Buffy
06-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Ilford Delta should be DX encoded.

I know this, because there's been many a time when I've taken to hacking the codes manually with an emery board.

Either keep shooting the whole thing at ISO 50, scrap the first seven or eight shots, or get thee some cyanide. Potassium ferricyanide, that is.

Remember that while 1-stop exposure difference mightn't make much difference on cubic grain films like Tri-X or Pan-F, it will with the T-grained films like Delta, which have much less latitude.

06-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the 'old days' of film, you would have ben best off to shoot the whole roll at the incorrect asa and notify the lab (if you didn't do your own processing) so they could adjust the processing to make allowances. I'm not sure if any labs can or know how to do that anymore.

Illford used to make a b&w film called 100XP or XP100 that you could shoot at any asa, even changing mid roll, and have it all come out ok. You used C4 (color) processing when developing it and everything came out ok.
06-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Ya mean XP2 super as it is called now?
Nominal ISO400 but does well from 100-800
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
In the 'old days' of film, you would have ben best off to shoot the whole roll at the incorrect asa and notify the lab (if you didn't do your own processing) so they could adjust the processing to make allowances. I'm not sure if any labs can or know how to do that anymore.

Illford used to make a b&w film called 100XP or XP100 that you could shoot at any asa, even changing mid roll, and have it all come out ok. You used C4 (color) processing when developing it and everything came out ok.
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Any BW lab worth its silver halide will push and pull film like that.

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, XP2 and Kodak's got BW400CN; both are C-41 films.

06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Ya mean XP2 super as it is called now?
Nominal ISO400 but does well from 100-800
I bow to your knowledge since I haven't shot film in 10 years, and it's been a lot longer than that for b&w.
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If Mr.Alzheimer doesn;t betray me.... Ilford Xp100 was replaced by XP2 in the early 90s, then XP2Super came in 98-99
At that time ilford still had a line of color film (Ilfocolor) which was quite short lived
I believe AGFA, FUJI and Konica also had B&W C41 film but can't really recall.

I bow to your knowledge since I haven't shot film in 10 years, and it's been a lot longer than that for b&w.