Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Posts: 334
ISO mix-up

I had shot a roll of Ilford Pan-F 50 and when I was done I replaced it with a roll of Delta 100. Apparently the Delta 100 isn't DX encoded or I screwed up some other way because the camera didn't adjust the ISO. Consequently, I've taken 7-8 shots with the wrong ISO setting.

Would you switch the camera ISO setting and just cope with overexposure for the first 8, or just continue and pull process the film? Mind you I don't expect any great fine art keepers from those shots, they aren't critical.

Buffy

06-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Forest Park, Georgia/Jacksonville, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 633
Personally, if there was nothing remotely interesting in the first 7-8 shots, I would just correct the ISO and work from there.
CW
06-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
Just continue shooting as 50 and develop accordingly.
1 stop over exposure will not harm much

PS. I don't know which camera you have, but do not rely on the DX sensor.... set the ISO manually each time

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I had shot a roll of Ilford Pan-F 50 and when I was done I replaced it with a roll of Delta 100. Apparently the Delta 100 isn't DX encoded or I screwed up some other way because the camera didn't adjust the ISO. Consequently, I've taken 7-8 shots with the wrong ISO setting.

Would you switch the camera ISO setting and just cope with overexposure for the first 8, or just continue and pull process the film? Mind you I don't expect any great fine art keepers from those shots, they aren't critical.

Buffy
06-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
Ilford Delta should be DX encoded.

I know this, because there's been many a time when I've taken to hacking the codes manually with an emery board.

Either keep shooting the whole thing at ISO 50, scrap the first seven or eight shots, or get thee some cyanide. Potassium ferricyanide, that is.

Remember that while 1-stop exposure difference mightn't make much difference on cubic grain films like Tri-X or Pan-F, it will with the T-grained films like Delta, which have much less latitude.

06-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
In the 'old days' of film, you would have ben best off to shoot the whole roll at the incorrect asa and notify the lab (if you didn't do your own processing) so they could adjust the processing to make allowances. I'm not sure if any labs can or know how to do that anymore.

Illford used to make a b&w film called 100XP or XP100 that you could shoot at any asa, even changing mid roll, and have it all come out ok. You used C4 (color) processing when developing it and everything came out ok.
06-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
Ya mean XP2 super as it is called now?
Nominal ISO400 but does well from 100-800
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
In the 'old days' of film, you would have ben best off to shoot the whole roll at the incorrect asa and notify the lab (if you didn't do your own processing) so they could adjust the processing to make allowances. I'm not sure if any labs can or know how to do that anymore.

Illford used to make a b&w film called 100XP or XP100 that you could shoot at any asa, even changing mid roll, and have it all come out ok. You used C4 (color) processing when developing it and everything came out ok.
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
In the 'old days' of film, you would have ben best off to shoot the whole roll at the incorrect asa and notify the lab (if you didn't do your own processing) so they could adjust the processing to make allowances. I'm not sure if any labs can or know how to do that anymore.
Any BW lab worth its silver halide will push and pull film like that.

QuoteQuote:
Illford used to make a b&w film called 100XP or XP100 that you could shoot at any asa, even changing mid roll, and have it all come out ok. You used C4 (color) processing when developing it and everything came out ok.
Yeah, XP2 and Kodak's got BW400CN; both are C-41 films.
06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Ya mean XP2 super as it is called now?
Nominal ISO400 but does well from 100-800
I bow to your knowledge since I haven't shot film in 10 years, and it's been a lot longer than that for b&w.

06-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,098
If Mr.Alzheimer doesn;t betray me.... Ilford Xp100 was replaced by XP2 in the early 90s, then XP2Super came in 98-99
At that time ilford still had a line of color film (Ilfocolor) which was quite short lived
I believe AGFA, FUJI and Konica also had B&W C41 film but can't really recall.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I bow to your knowledge since I haven't shot film in 10 years, and it's been a lot longer than that for b&w.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, delta, iso, roll, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc The evening's activities (An eclectic mix) MikeS Post Your Photos! 1 10-24-2010 09:06 PM
B&W Chemistry: Mix only what you need cheekygeek Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 19 06-22-2010 09:24 PM
lets throw some religion in the mix Gooshin General Talk 11 11-13-2009 03:56 PM
which water to mix with Gooshin Pentax Film SLR Discussion 11 08-28-2009 08:53 PM
Insomniac in the mix .... DigiFilm Welcomes and Introductions 4 07-04-2007 11:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top