Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Rough bike ride with Spotmatic II-concerns

Last Sunday I went on a bicycle ride on a hike and bike trail I haven't been on before. I took the Spotty out for it's first roll since I got it. But later I thought a rough bike ride(I ride a bike with no suspension)may not be a good idea for a camera with a match needle meter. The pavement is rough in a few spots. When I got home it still was working properly, but I'm concerned. Should I bring a more modern camera for the rough rides?

07-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheLens Quote
Last Sunday I went on a bicycle ride on a hike and bike trail I haven't been on before. I took the Spotty out for it's first roll since I got it. But later I thought a rough bike ride(I ride a bike with no suspension)may not be a good idea for a camera with a match needle meter. The pavement is rough in a few spots. When I got home it still was working properly, but I'm concerned. Should I bring a more modern camera for the rough rides?
I don't know the answer - but ask yourself this - would you be heartbroken if it was damaged? If so then maybe the answer is yes. Maybe mirrorless and digital with limited moving parts?
07-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looking back on all the Simpson multimeters I worked on - and they used the needle movement, I believe that a match needle system is less prone to vibration than electrical connectors that can be jarred loose in a more modern camera.
07-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've ridden and walked my SPII's all over a couple of towns now and no major problems. So long as the SPII is in a decently padded bag while traveling you should be find, but the old meters do give out from time to time anyway. You can usually pick up old non-digital hand meters at Goodwill online all the time. I have a couple and I check with them as well as the internal metering. Spottie meters are pretty good but after 40 years or so and with using alkaline instead of the old mercury batteries they can be a bit off sometimes. I like having a hand meter too, double checking.

07-15-2015, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheLens Quote
Your concern is valid, but more due to the general age of the camera than the type of meter. The early "Pentax girl" advertisements highlighted the Spotmatic's ability to absorb abuse without damage. As noted above, connections, insulation, and circuit boards may degrade with time and use. A little extract shock may due damage to an old camera that the same body may have handled nicely when new.

FWIW, I don't baby my SPII, but I don't take it skiing or mountain biking either!

Steve
07-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I have been thinking about similar, for on pavement use
I would like to be able to take the medium format slr on bike rides on the Schwinn carrier.

Recently, I saw some long distance riders towing trailers with small hard cases on the bike carriers.
Pelican has a range that might be suitable: Storm Case series IM2XXX, the smallest might be OK for a Spotmatic.

The second smallest IM2100 might be just OK for RB67: Pelican iM2100 Storm Case with Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com
Attachment might require drilling the case and the carrier.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
07-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My spotmatic hasn't been used for 15 years. However it's meter in the previous 25 years had to be fixed three times, twice when it had short drops ie about 3 feet and once from rough and tumble. I would agree that jarring should be avoided. A small amount of padding around the camera on smooth surfaces should be OK.
07-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The early "Pentax girl" advertisements
Three classic commercials!

Phil.

07-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I guess I should use another camera for those bike rides since the Spotty was just sent to Eric by the previous owner last year and I'd be upset if it got broken. I'm thinking about using the Minolta Maxxum 7000i and 35-105 lens because it has many good features and I didn't pay much for it.
07-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your concern is valid, but more due to the general age of the camera than the type of meter. The early "Pentax girl" advertisements highlighted the Spotmatic's ability to absorb abuse without damage. As noted above, connections, insulation, and circuit boards may degrade with time and use. A little extract shock may due damage to an old camera that the same body may have handled nicely when new.

https://youtu.be/J8aBgRCDcxo

FWIW, I don't baby my SPII, but I don't take it skiing or mountain biking either!

Steve
OT: this spot is PRICELESS...

Oh, the ingenuity of the 60s.
07-21-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I know someone that throws 2 spotmatics, plus 1 K1000 in his iceroad truck then goes bouncing on some of the roughest temp roads in the world.
None of the Pentax cameras have ever developed a problem.
He can't say the same about a Vivitar film camera he brought once, where the film advance broke and he lost some Wolf photos from around 10 feet away.
07-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think it'd probably be fine - they have the reputation of being tanks. I go mountain biking with my pentax cameras all the time. It's easy to do exposure math in your head too using this guide. I have a lightmeter app on my phone - between it and this link, I've been shooting a ton with a k1000 with a dead light meter battery, consistently getting good exposures.

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Edit - I should say, I have two spotmatics and a K1000... My spotmatic F is my Dad's old camera, I probably wouldn't take it biking on the off chance it was damaged. I guess it all depends on the amount of risk you're willing to take. That's why I have my K1000 - a beater camera, I don't mind taking it to rough locations. The film rewind lever is busted off, need to rewind it with a wrench.

Last edited by bobbotron; 07-31-2015 at 08:03 AM.
07-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Never had an issue with any of my mechanical cameras and vibrations.
I happily have them swinging around on my shoulder when walking around.

I'd say it's fine as long as it's in a bag or something and not hard against the bike.

If you're concerned with it I can suggest an ME.
A bit smaller, which is useful, pretty bulletproof, and also dirt cheap since not many people like them.
Aperture priority only is a downside, but it really depends on how you shoot.