Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #1

Replacement Light Seals Very Tight (Will It Harm My Camera?)

I had my light seals replaced and they look ok, however when I close the back it's very tight. It closes, but I have to squish it closed...And when I open the back, it doesn't pop open - I pull the rewind knob and nothing happens, I have to open the door myself.

I don't mind this if the seals work, but I don't know enough to know whether this is ok with my camera - is really tight foam strong enough to bend the back of the camera? Or otherwise damage it?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get!

It's a Pentax ME if this is useful.

07-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DamienL Quote
I had my light seals replaced and they look ok, however when I close the back it's very tight. It closes, but I have to squish it closed...And when I open the back, it doesn't pop open - I pull the rewind knob and nothing happens, I have to open the door myself.

I don't mind this if the seals work, but I don't know enough to know whether this is ok with my camera - is really tight foam strong enough to bend the back of the camera? Or otherwise damage it?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get!

It's a Pentax ME if this is useful.
New seals are not intended to create such a tight fit. The door may be unaffected, however the camera latch may become damaged beyond use from too much stress. If you can get hold of a pair of small scissors that have the two ends curved upwards, you can go along the top of the seals until the door fits normally. Or, another option would be for you to take the camera back where it was repaired and tell them what the problem is. They should be willing to make it good (hopefully) for no charge. If not, I would go elsewhere for service in the future. I hope this helps.

Tonytee
07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienL Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
New seals are not intended to create such a tight fit. The door may be unaffected, however the camera latch may become damaged beyond use from too much stress. If you can get hold of a pair of small scissors that have the two ends curved upwards, you can go along the top of the seals until the door fits normally. Or, another option would be for you to take the camera back where it was repaired and tell them what the problem is. They should be willing to make it good (hopefully) for no charge. If not, I would go elsewhere for service in the future. I hope this helps.
You might also try pushing along all of the edges of the door (when closed), gently but firmly pushing the edges of the door more deeply into the seals, to see if they might become easier to close the door against. (That is, press the door into the seals a bit yourself, rather than just letting the hinge and the latch do all the pushing.)

However, if the seal is just overly thick or stiff, with no sign of improvement, I'd take/send the ME back for a redo. (The seals on a new ME didin't act quite the way you describe.) Light seals are supposed to be light-tight, and not necessarily air-tight or water-tight..

Last edited by fwcetus; 07-17-2015 at 05:40 AM.
07-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you very much, Tonytee and fwcetus!
I think I will go back and see if he'll fix it. It cost as much as the actual camera body, it should be done well!

07-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

A good repairman will use the right thickness for your model camera, not whatever he happens to have lying around.
If you'd rather try re-doing it yourself correctly Jon Goodman has inexpensive precut kits for many model cameras.

Chris