Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake.astig Quote
Heyyyy... I got an ESII for about the same amount (in Philippine pesos) too!!! It had an SMC Tak 50mm F1.4 as well but the unique thing was that the engraved ESII was colored red. The SMC Takumar on the lens was also red. Never seen one like this before.

I think the meter turns on only when it's set on automatic and you half press the shutter. I usually set the shutter speed to flash sync X when I am not using it. I think that opens the circuit.

Happy shooting!
The stop-down metering switch on the left of the lens mount also turns on the meter if using lenses that aren't capable of open-aperture metering, but you have to be in Automatic. Probably because the metering scale is set to give shutter speeds instead of over/under indications.

09-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The stop-down metering switch on the left of the lens mount also turns on the meter if using lenses that aren't capable of open-aperture metering, but you have to be in Automatic. Probably because the metering scale is set to give shutter speeds instead of over/under indications.
Oh yeah! That's right!
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike,

Its good that you are in Japan. Otherwise, I'd have to make a "citizen's arrest" and "hold' on to that ESII as evidence.
09-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That means non SMC lenses are effectively in stop-down Av mode, with the switch. Makes it even more exciting, one bit better than the adapter in K Av mode where the lens itself is in manual. Oh wow, I hope mine works...

(This could go very high, but in the US ebay there's an ESII with 85/1.8 lens, a day and change left, last I looked it was still under $30...)

09-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Mike,

Its good that you are in Japan. Otherwise, I'd have to make a "citizen's arrest" and "hold' on to that ESII as evidence.
Tell you what....you come over to my town and I'll personally take you around and let you use it for the day. I'll bring my Super Takumar 200/4 to club you with so I can get it back.
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Tell you what....you come over to my town and I'll personally take you around and let you use it for the day. I'll bring my Super Takumar 200/4 to club you with so I can get it back.
If I make it over there, I'll definitely look you up.
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #22

I have a couple of Spotomatics and one for sure is ESII

I did not give much thought to these since I bought them for the lenses. I guess they are special?

Im learning backwards moving from digital to manual.

Tasha

09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

USPS tells me there's a package waiting for me at home... I went out and bought the 4 batteries it requires, sort of silly that the batteries cost almost half of what the camera itself did... If I get it running I'll be taking it to work tomorrow.
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
USPS tells me there's a package waiting for me at home... I went out and bought the 4 batteries it requires, sort of silly that the batteries cost almost half of what the camera itself did... If I get it running I'll be taking it to work tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver oxide batteries aren't cheap, are they??..Especially when Spotmatic cameras are generally so reasonably priced..

Bruce
09-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Grrr, it is as I thought it might be (but due to a death wish, didn't want to ask beforehand): the meter registers current but does not read. There was a receipt from a camera place about that very thing, the guy'd got an estimate for the repair. I'll ask him...

But not the end of the world, the camera itself is in good shape though dirty, and it came with a SMC 55/1.8 in great shape + a holster case to hold a long lens. Getting the meter fixed (unless I can dig up something I can possibly attempt) will be expensive though.

And the OM2s uses the same batteries, two at a time, so they aren't a loss either
09-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Update: the seller claims ignorance, i.e. he bought it at a yard sale or something just for the resale. I paid $45, so I'm offering him $35 for the lens and holster case, and to split the diff of the rest... ie. I'm looking for him to give me back $5.

I figure the camera itself is in good shape, so assuming I'll get it CLA'd and repaired I'll have a good ES II later.