Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1000 film jam

Half way through a roll, I went to advance the film in my K1000 and the lever stuck halfway through the motion. I pushed a little harder and completed isn't advancing the film and made a noise like the film isn't being pulled forward, like it's just floating over the film guides... There's nothing that important on the film, so I think I'll probably just open it up and see what's happened. I have noticed that the film advance on this camera is about twice as sticky compared to my spotmatics, I think something might be stuck in there. This is my beater camera, I'd like to try fixing it myself as I'm pretty mechanically inclined though never worked on cameras before.

I was wondering if there were any common ways to resolve this/things to look for.

07-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Half way through a roll, I went to advance the film in my K1000 and the lever stuck halfway through the motion. I pushed a little harder and completed isn't advancing the film and made a noise like the film isn't being pulled forward, like it's just floating over the film guides... There's nothing that important on the film, so I think I'll probably just open it up and see what's happened. I have noticed that the film advance on this camera is about twice as sticky compared to my spotmatics, I think something might be stuck in there. This is my beater camera, I'd like to try fixing it myself as I'm pretty mechanically inclined though never worked on cameras before.

I was wondering if there were any common ways to resolve this/things to look for.
It could be the film pick-up spool that needs replacing. A similar problem happened on my KX and Eric had to replace the spool.

Phil.
07-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It could be the film pick-up spool that needs replacing. A similar problem happened on my KX and Eric had to replace the spool.

Phil.
Quite possible! It started a little while ago, when I when to load some film, and it didn't want to roll onto the reel. It sort of jammed up when I started to load the film on, I had to reseat it and then it took. Since then I've noticed the lever action has seemed to have some resistance and loading it on the film seems to not want to track on to the little gears on the top and bottom (you'll have to forgive me, I'm not sure what they're called.) I didn't realize how much until I used one of my spotmatics, where the winding action is silky smooth.
07-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Quite possible! It started a little while ago, when I when to load some film, and it didn't want to roll onto the reel. It sort of jammed up when I started to load the film on, I had to reseat it and then it took. Since then I've noticed the lever action has seemed to have some resistance and loading it on the film seems to not want to track on to the little gears on the top and bottom (you'll have to forgive me, I'm not sure what they're called.) I didn't realize how much until I used one of my spotmatics, where the winding action is silky smooth.
I would email Eric and see what he thinks, it's not a huge fix so should not cost too much.

Phil.

07-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible that the film jumped the sprocket and jammed and you freed it when you forced the advance lever.
Having said that, I had a similar thing happen with my K-1000 about 20 years ago and tuned out to be a failed gear on the winder mechanism.
If there is a camera shop close by like Henry's they should have the tools to remove the film without overexposing the it and check the mechanism.
If you're not concerned with saving the film, you can try pressing the winder release and try rewinding the film back into the canister or you simply open the back cover and remove the film.
With the back cover open try moving the film advance lever to see if you can see the gears and the film spool moving.
07-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might you be mistaken as to the number exposures on the roll of film?

Steve
07-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Might you be mistaken as to the number exposures on the roll of film?

Steve
I thought about that, but it's at 15 exposures, and it's a 36 exposure roll.

---------- Post added 07-23-15 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would email Eric and see what he thinks, it's not a huge fix so should not cost too much.

Phil.
While I really appreciate the fine work someone like Eric provides, I think I'll probably get a new K1000 on kijiji if I can't fix this myself or have a local shop repair it. The cost of shipping + repairs will most likely be greater than the low prices these cameras sell for on kijiji around here. :/

07-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

Early models have a problem with the mirror catch lever - if the camera is bumped or jarred it can slip out of place. If the levers don't reset in the proper sequence then the film advance and shutter release will jam. If that's all it is it is a fairly simple fix to get the camera in operation. The modification to the lever to prevent this from happening again is fairly simple too. See page 8 and figures 12-14 in the K1000 service manual

Pentax Manuals

Check the serial number database to try to determine when your camera was made
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/51190-k1000-...-database.html