Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Print Quality

What gives you better quality for making prints from film, scanning and printing, or using a darkroom and printing straight from the negative. I've noticed that more places are scanning negatives now and I want to know if you don't get as good quality from scanning and if scanning isn't as good at what point do you notice the quality difference in the two processes? I usually only enlarge up to 11x14 at the most.

06-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I've not had it done from a shop, but just my so called photo quality printer is not so impressive. I've noticed that real pro quality printers have double the dpi, but the numbers are deceptive.
1200dpi would be around 48 lines per millimeter. Photo paper is around 118 lpmm? Average may be around 80ish lpmm. We need a pro to come up with some hard numbers if you like to know this stuff... thats my $ .02 paid.
06-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montezuma Quote
What gives you better quality for making prints from film, scanning and printing, or using a darkroom and printing straight from the negative. I've noticed that more places are scanning negatives now and I want to know if you don't get as good quality from scanning and if scanning isn't as good at what point do you notice the quality difference in the two processes? I usually only enlarge up to 11x14 at the most.
Definitely the darkroom would maintain the highest quality. When an additional step is added to any process, there is inevitable degradation, no matter how little. That said, the darkroom must be operated by someone who knows exactly what he/she is doing. You won't get this with the $2.99 web service printers, only a really good pro printer, and there you will pay quite a bit of money for the service. In my case, I pay it gladly to get the print quality I want. Sometimes I just take the $2.99 special, other times run it through my el cheapo Canon printer, sometimes taking the card to the kiosk. It depends on the use for the end product. Price out 11x14 Cibachrome prints sometime. I have several on my walls.