Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cleaning focus screen....

Hi,
I have a Ricoh XR7 that has some marks on the focus screen.
what is the best way to try and clean the screen if it's possible at all?
I managed to get a picture with my phone as best I could, I think its from the mirror damper foam which I have replaced.
I didn't think I'd got any on the screen while I was removing the old foam, but it was very crumbly, have tried gently wiping with a dry cotton
swob to no avail.
Any help is much appreciated, as its in a nice clean camera otherwise.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9100  Photo 
07-27-2015, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

All my attempts to ever clean a focusing screen beyond using a rocket blower have damaged it. (And don't blow it with canned air either -- it can fog it if you get any of that cold mist.)
07-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/113221...us-screen.html

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88030
07-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
All my attempts to ever clean a focusing screen beyond using a rocket blower have damaged it. (And don't blow it with canned air either -- it can fog it if you get any of that cold mist.)
As you said...just "unlock" it and blow it with blower..any other attempt might(will) make it worse

07-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have suspected (as posted above) the only option would be some sort of bath/soaking where you basically don't touch it (touching it scratches it!), but I figured I would just end up with water spots on it then. Actually a few drops of photo-flo (can you still buy that?) in distilled water probably would make a good solution -- we used to use that to clean dirty LP records back when I worked at a used record store. You could probably just use jet-dry and water. Too harsh?
07-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the distilled water
07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
from all the posted links and advice I think 'learn to live with it' seems the best advice, I know these cameras don't go for much money for some reason, I would
still rather not completely ruin the screen just trying to make it looks better. After all it has nothing to do with the quality of the images it takes, and I don't think the metering
will be effected as I think its centre weighted on these cameras.

07-27-2015, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have removed dry crumbs with a camera repairman's cotton bud (not the same as a Q-tip) by a simple touch to the crumb. It was a two handed operation and I would not recommend unless you have steady hands and magnification. Beyond what can be done with a rocket blower, a thorough cleaning requires taking the screen out. With the XR7, the means partial disassembly (removal of top plate, some ribbon connectors, and the pentaprism) to gain access to the focus screen.

Once out, actual cleaning is not difficult. Here is what my tech guy* does. A few drops of dishwashing soap (Dawn, Palmolive, or similar) in distilled water using gentle finger action on the screen surface. Rinse well with distilled water and allow the water to drain off. Blot the edges with an absorbent cloth and use a rocket blower to disperse any droplets that may have formed.

Katz Eye Optics provides these instructions:

QuoteQuote:
If your screen has become extremely contaminated, such as with fingerprints, oils, or some other foreign contaminant, you have a few options. First, it is possible to wash the screen, if appropriate precautions are taken. Avoid this if at all possible, but if you have serious dirt or oil that won’t respond to the gentler methods, here is the appropriate procedure. Get a very soft artist’s brush – red sable works well. Wet the screen with warm tap water; place a drop of liquid dish soap (like Dawn) directly on the screen. Wet the brush and work the soap thoroughly into the screen. On the matte (prism) side, you can use any motion you’d like. On the other side, there is a Fresnel lens that has a series of concentric grooves; to clean them properly, you will need to work in circles starting at the middle and getting progressively larger. When you’re done, rinse thoroughly in warm water using the brush to help to soap get off. Then, follow with another thorough rinse, this time in dead cold water. Finally, blow the water off the screen with canned air (making sure not to freeze it) or a big bulb blower (like a rocket blower). The key is to blow the water off the screen before it can evaporate and leave water spots. Distilled or de-ionized water will be less prone to leaving water spots and should be used as a final rinse, before drying, if it is available.
I suspect ultrasonic cleaning in mild dish soap might also work well.

Steve

* Mike Knight at Knight Camera in Vancouver, WA USA
07-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Definitely don't think "hmm, I wonder if a lens pen will do it"

So much carbon dust in my screen. Too small to blow out with the blower.