Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My 1977 college graduation present - a black KX and K50/1.4 with an Everready case - cost $487.56 with tax, which amount was almost exactly 10% of the cost of my senior year of college at University of Virginia. $487.56 was also a little less than half the money I earned working 10 hours a week (38 weeks of college) @ $2.60 an hour my senior year.

So, a $5,000 college graduation present in 2015-equivalent terms?

That's a LOT of camera!!

And I sure wouldn't earn any $10,000 working 10 hours a week.
A year after this, when I worked at a gas station part time for $2.65/hour, the Pentax K2 and KX were no longer available. So the first K mount camera I saved up to buy was a Ricoh XR-2 with XR Rikenon 50 f/2 for $329 including case. I was not attracted by the Pentax ME and MX.

08-02-2015, 04:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

This thread got me to thinking....

....in these price comparisons between different years there must be other factors other than just price.

I remember buying a new Rolleiflex F with the Zeiss Planar f/2.8. This was pretty much state of the art in those days right up there with a Leica M3. It was pretty much the same camera Vivian Meyer used for her work.

Anyway if my memory serves, and this is pretty close, I paid $350 in 1956 for it. This works out to about $3000 adjusted for inflation.
It just doesn't make sense that an 18 year old with his first real paying job would have taken on such debt (I took out a bank loan to get it).

Unless I have completely forgotten just how stupid an 18 year old can be with a few bucks in his pocket.
08-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Anyway if my memory serves, and this is pretty close, I paid $350 in 1956 for it. This works out to about $3000 adjusted for inflation.
It just doesn't make sense that an 18 year old with his first real paying job would have taken on such debt (I took out a bank loan to get it).
You didn't have the costs back them that an 18 year old does today to keep up will all the social media nonsense. Also you probably were still living at home, so could save more.

I bought my first Pentax kit at the same age in 1975 and the list price from a Pentax price list was $826 for the KX w/case & three lenses, inflation adjusted to $3648. I'm sure I paid less that the list price, but don't remember it being a big deal, as I was working full time and living at home for free taking home about $415 per month in salary. (I just checked my pay stubs and have them all from 1974 onwards) So that's only a couple months to save up for it, as I had no other expenses at the time.

Phil..
08-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Being overseas in the Pacific area with access to the USAF exchange, tax free and the very favorable exchange rate to Japanese currency, Pentax - and all other Japanese made items, were very affordable. The published prices - just like all other printed manufacturer suggested prices, were much higher. I wish I had kept those Pacex catalogs.

I remember going to Tokyo in '74 & '75 and getting a lot of Yen for my dollar although something's - like apples, were very expensive while others - like cameras & stereos, were cheap relatively speaking.

08-04-2015, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I assume at that time the Japanese makers were producing a high amount of cameras so it's natural that for the internal market they were cheap, in Italy I'm sure they weren't and the owner of this camera (a lady according to the receipt for the AF160 flash from 1982) treated it religiously, today it looks brand new. On the other side I would expect fruit to be very expensive in an archipelago like Japan.

However, I got the results from the test roll and the camera works flawlessly, I posted some in our usual thread and I'm posting some here, of course I tried to get as much Tak bokeh as possible but not just that:

Provocation: is the Spottie the best camera of its era? IMO it's much better than the K1000 and the KM.
08-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Had you'd been around then you'd know only chumps, er, few paid MSRP.
The big mail order houses like those here in NYC offered deep discounts,
and even independent camera stores in small towns could offer some discount.

Chris
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Quote Originally posted by BrianR Quote
Thanks!

I had to look up the intriguing item "5150 Fiesta Camera Strap", and found this:

Vintage Honeywell Fiesta Camera Strap Retro 1970s New Old Stock Mint In Package!

My memories of the 70's consisted of the library, the park, and the pool (I was little!) and I can say I'm sorry that I missed living in a time where anyone could get the above strap for the low price of $6.95.
Mmm, I have the stock leather strap but I must confess this "fiesta" looks inviting, not for the Spottie that is a light camera but for other heavyweights (today I finished the test roll of the Nikkormat and that's an hefty camera) I have.

Quote Originally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes and you could still shoot Kodachrome on those cameras, something else that's lost forever.
..and all these moments frozen in Kodakchrome will be lost, in time, like tears in the rain.

Quote Originally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looking through the lens at a sheet of white paper, does it appear brownish? If so, your lens may have thoriated glass. The color of the coating reflections is not pertinent.
Steve
Radioactive Lens -- Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm f/1.8 - YouTube

Radioactive lens (SMC Takumar 55/1.8) measured with Polaron-Pripyat and RKSB-104 dosimeters - YouTube

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia

But...if it's not radioactive where do I get my superpowers to become a superphotographer like Peter Parker?
My understanding is that not all the 55/1.8 Taks are radioactive. The S-M-C and SMC very likely are while the ST may or may not be. Lacking a Geiger counter to check directly, yellowing is an indication of probable thoriated glass. I have two ST 55/1.8 and the older one is not yellowed at all while the newer one had significant yellowing prior to being given the IKEA desk lamp treatment.

Steve
08-04-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

I assume at that time the Japanese makers were producing a high amount of cameras so it's natural that for the internal market they were cheap, in Italy I'm sure they weren't and the owner of this camera (a lady according to the receipt for the AF160 flash from 1982) treated it religiously, today it looks brand new. On the other side I would expect fruit to be very expensive in an archipelago like Japan.

However, I got the results from the test roll and the camera works flawlessly, I posted some in our usual thread and I'm posting some here, of course I tried to get as much Tak bokeh as possible but not just that:

Provocation: is the Spottie the best camera of its era? IMO it's much better than the K1000 and the KM.
Nice, the first shot is great!

Phil.

08-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #39
Lens Buying Addict

For the general enjoyment of the thread - not the 'S' cameras are Honeywell. For a brief moment in time we were flush with excess.

X-posted from FF thread
08-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #40
Forum Member

Thanks for posting prices. Electronics were expensive back then.
08-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any particular item you are interested?

What I found more interesting is that the "S" cameras were more or less as expensive as the "K" cameras, the ESII in particular seems extremely expensive, almost in the K2DMD range (90 dollars less if we include a lens) even if it's not as evolved as the DMD.

I assumed they sold the "S" cameras for a long time after their official decease in 1975.
A difference with the digital age. In digital age superseded model is using obsolete technology, lesser sensor, lower grade features etc.

In the mechanical age, the old one was a good robust camera which would last well, just like the new one, and the feature differences were not all that much. And back then, people with screw mount lenses would have been attracted to replacement bodies rather than the newest which needed the adapter. Hence, new old models were still quite high value, and had an expected life of most of the rest of your life. Never so with digital bodies which are somewhat 'disposable'. In film bodies, one could upgrade performance by changing the film loaded.
08-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #42
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by TheLens Quote
Thanks for posting prices. Electronics were expensive back then.
Uhm - they were mechanical (for the most part).
08-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
A difference with the digital age. In digital age superseded model is using obsolete technology, lesser sensor, lower grade features etc.

In the mechanical age, the old one was a good robust camera which would last well, just like the new one, and the feature differences were not all that much. And back then, people with screw mount lenses would have been attracted to replacement bodies rather than the newest which needed the adapter. Hence, new old models were still quite high value, and had an expected life of most of the rest of your life. Never so with digital bodies which are somewhat 'disposable'. In film bodies, one could upgrade performance by changing the film loaded.
Another interesting fact: besides the price of the S mount were more or less the same as the new K mount bodies and lenses, all the package came with a brochure of the new K series that is more or less like the one I already shared on the board, plus few pages (one boasting with reason that Pentax had won the "race" to get the first 50mm f1.2) describing the system.

I assume the seller gave it with the camera to the new owner but he (or she, the receipt of the AF160 flash states the buyer was a woman) in order to convince him/her to "upgrade" to the new system, but he/she didn't feel necessary and since the SPF already has open metering the only good reason to do that is either get the improved lightmeter of the KX or get the 50 mm f1.2.
08-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Edit, more pics with the SPF, I find it hard to focus properly at close range and open wide, I'm afraid I screwed up few bokeh shots that would have been great, however I created a separate thread for the Belvedere here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/301381-machinery-1956...ml#post3336834

Does anyone know if the rumour regarding a split screen for the Spotmatic is real? I also use the split to help getting my pics horizontal, and at least today many of my pics are slightly tilted, perhaps I was tired to carry a Spotmatic, a FTb and a Super A with me.

Tilted bokeh:

Forge of Avalon:

MGB MkII mouth:

Assault at the Heritage Centre:

Here I was trying to use as much DOF as possible but not even at f16 I got enough.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 08-12-2015 at 02:25 PM.