Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #1

MX battery cap interchangeability

Hey everyone,
I just got myself an MX body online but it's missing a battery cap.
Since I couldn't find one on ebay, it made me wonder if the battery cap is interchangeable with any other pentax model.
Do you guys have the answer?
Thanks.

08-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Forum Member

The battery caps from the K2 and KX are the same as the MX, the ones from the Program A and Super will fit but do not have the plastic tube attached, would probably still work though.
08-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #3

Thank God for this thread, I've just been trawling the Interweb trying to find an MX battery cap. I happen to have an MX, K2 and a Super Program. Yes the MX and K2 have the same cap, but the Super Program has the batteries in the other way around i.e. main + cap of each battery facing out of the camera. On the MX and K2 this means the -ve centre spot is in contact with the round battery cover, and without the tube i think one of them would short out against the metal cap. You could make your won tube i guess or use a bit of tape, I've changed the batteries maybe once ever in my Super Program, it'll be for ever in the MX where it only works the meter. Finally if you're in the UK the cost of a new one is 18 from Harrow or 12 for a used one - in the US it's peanuts but the shipping is impossible.
Genuine Pentax Replacement Parts from USCamera.com
08-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
it'll be for ever in the MX where it only works the meter.
What brand is best?
I am down to the last of my cache of the green packaged ones from the now defunct Radio Shack.
They have number "357/303". But they self discharge.
The new ones opened and tested yesterday are down to 1.57 volt.

08-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What brand is best?
I am down to the last of my cache of the green packaged ones from the now defunct Radio Shack.
They have number "357/303". But they self discharge.
The new ones opened and tested yesterday are down to 1.57 volt.
In Mitchigan? Surely you've got Wal-Mart up there. I noticed their button battery section was amazingly complete -- usually located on a big Energizer display at the edge of the cross-aisle just past the registers (so you can walk from the grocery across the wide part of the store all the way to automotive). I used to work at Radio Shack (2 decades ago), so that kind of surprised me. I don't know if they carry specific batteries, but 357's are common. Shack didn't make any of their own -- they probably bought them from Energizer or Ray-O-Vac, or whoever gave them the cheapest bid.
08-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #6

357 or equivalent is the right size - you're not using zinc-air are you? They'll die once popped even if no current drain. I use Energiser ones as i happen to have some but really I'd use anything. Down to 1.57V? What did they start at? Theses are 1.5V batteries.
08-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Down to 1.57V? What did they start at? Theses are 1.5V batteries.
Yes, The ones I tested are Energizer.
According to the discharge curve the open circuit voltage new should be above 1.61 Volt for the Energizer, and about 1.60 for the Duracell.
The plateau on Energizer data sheet is at 1.55 Volt for about 200 hours at 200 microAmp and the Duracell curve shows 1.55 Volt for 400 Hrs at 200 uA.
Maybe I will try some Duracell

The aging curves also show that I should be keeping the spares in the refrigerator with the film - more years of life at 0 Celsius.
08-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

To my untrained eye I'd say you're worrying over nothing. I checked the meter on mine against the Pocket Light Meter app and it was pretty well spot on. That was with whatever batteries I had in it, and a fairly corroded battery cap which some days needs a bit of extra scratching to make work.

08-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I'd say you're worrying over nothing.
Not worried at all.
I put the question about battery life because 2 days ago I got out the old Ricoh KR-10 re another thread here. It is electronic and it would not power up, and my old RS spares were low too.
So I am going to buy some more and so, interested in experiences with battery life of the 357.

Indicentally, I checked the Ricoh KR-2 which has the older CdS metering, along with the KR-10, against the Pentax K-01( in center-weight) on the garage door and all 3 cameras indicated f/8 and 1/320 plus minus about 1/2 stop
08-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #10

I used the same 357s in my Progam A for a number of years and they never ran out, and that's a totally electronic camera. I haven't had the MX long enough to be able to say but it does a lot less with the batteries. The only thing to watch is if the meter doesn't shut off, which is well-documented. Am surprised about your Ricoh though.
08-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.
08-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What brand is best?
Energizer EPX76 Silver Oxide are the ones I use, they also come in two packs which are perfect for the KX, K2's and so on.

Silver oxide are recommended over alkaline.

Phil.
08-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #13

just found this on the Bay of Pigd, it's a bit grotty but if you're in the UK or EU then it might be of use
GENUINE PENTAX KX FILM SLR , BATTERY HOLDER / COVER ,REPLACEMENT PART | eBay
I got excited for a minute but it's not better than mine, which does work. Any idea what it's made of? The green stuff suggests aluminium to me but when you scratch it, it looks brassy
08-10-2015, 01:52 AM   #14

Original Poster
The green stuff is copper oxide, it comes from the brass.
08-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #15

Copper oxide is black, overnight I wondered it if's zinc oxide, being the more reducing metal. Is the silver outside chrome plate or something else I wonder?