Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I messed up my focus screen on k1000

I got out my k1000 out and noticed it had big black sticky gunk blob on the focusing screen so I cleaned it off with qtip and alcohol, and now there is a clear-ish "blob" on the bottom of the screen. I thought it would dry out but I guess I messed it up. Is there anyway to fix? Can I replace the screen? And is something deteriorating inside that caused the back sticky mess in the first place? it looks like there is foam or something that may be sticky

08-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like you need new light seals, and maybe a new focus screen.
08-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
And is something deteriorating inside that caused the back sticky mess in the first place?
The blob is what was left of the mirror bumper foam. Some bumper materials crumble with age and exposure to ozone. Others turn to a tarry, sticky mess. In that case the tar often gets flung onto the focus screen. Sorry this happened to you.

It is usually a good idea to evaluate both the mirror bumper and light seals on vintage cameras before or shortly after purchase.* They are often bad. Replacement is part of a standard CLA as would be cleaning of the focus screen. Your screen is likely cleanable, but not without removing it from the camera (requires partial disassembly). The cost for a CLA would be in the $45-$75 range and is generally worth it for a fully mechanical camera like the K1000.

Steve

* test by touching a toothpick to the foam. If it is not resilient, it should be replaced.
08-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The blob is what was left of the mirror bumper foam. Some bumper materials crumble with age and exposure to ozone. Others turn to a tarry, sticky mess. In that case the tar often gets flung onto the focus screen. Sorry this happened to you.

It is usually a good idea to evaluate both the mirror bumper and light seals on vintage cameras before or shortly after purchase.* They are often bad. Replacement is part of a standard CLA as would be cleaning of the focus screen. Your screen is likely cleanable, but not without removing it from the camera (requires partial disassembly). The cost for a CLA would be in the $45-$75 range and is generally worth it for a fully mechanical camera like the K1000.

Steve

* test by touching a toothpick to the foam. If it is not resilient, it should be replaced.
thanks. it worked great when I got it...in 1985! this must have happened in storage in the past few months because it wasn't like that when I pulled it out a year ago. is there a place I can send it too? we have no camera shops or repair shops in this area any more. well, we have one but it doesnt sell pentax.or online instructions.somewhere?

08-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The usual recommendation is to send the camera to this place:
Home

Eric the guy who runs it is a former Pentax employee and specializes in the repair and refurbishment of this type of gear.

Click the link showing as "home" that name is not descriptive but that is just the nature of his site. Click it and take a look around.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-15-2015 at 07:10 AM.
08-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a trip to Eric is in order Home

---------- Post added 08-14-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

I guess I took to long to get my link working
08-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you! my kids are fascinated by this camera ( "where do I see the picture?" ) I want to get it all fixed up to use again.

08-15-2015, 04:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Click on either of the words HOME in mine or UncleVanya's post. That will take you to Eric's home page where he describes services. along with his other info you may be interseted in like his address and policies.
09-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Alternatively Google Jon Goodman foam for new foam kit.
Ignore the screen it won't show on photo.
Always replace foam on condition before it migrates it is worse if it gets on the shutter...

Or if you are tight fisted git use mouse mat scissors and double sided pressure sensitive tape.

Last edited by Xmas; 09-07-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Omitted foam to reduce search time