Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Issues developing Delta 3200

So I just developed my first roll of delta 3200 this morning. I've had a lab develop in the past, with decent results. Shot at 3200 ISO, developed with DD-X, 1+4 for 12.5 minutes. It seems over half the roll came out pretty much clear, ie totally not exposed. I was shooting at night on the street w/ street lights, mostly f2 with a shutter speed around 1/125 or 1/250, it's possible I misjudged the EI of the scene, I'll see if I can scan the clear ones tonight, if there's anything there.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? It took me a month or two to shoot the roll, and it's been pretty warm out, perhaps the film went off, or I didn't develop it for long enough?

08-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is very hard to say without seeing it.
Is half the roll contiguous or frames skipped with a pattern?

My gut tells me you didn't develop it properly.
When doing night photography a bit of overdeveloping doesnt hurt, as in many cases you are guesstimating the exposures.
Delta 3200 is quite forgiving, and if you slow down agitation (once very other minute) and increase the time to 15-20 min you can get better results as the highlights will not bloom too much
08-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't mix the dev correctly - not enough developer? The weird thing is that some of the shots looked well developed. I'll see (hopefully) tonight how they scan.
08-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't mix the dev correctly - not enough developer? The weird thing is that some of the shots looked well developed. I'll see (hopefully) tonight how they scan.
If youhave some well developed frames then teh developer was good... it is more an dunderexposure issue
Also if the film had enough space, the frames will look perfectly clear, if they were toouching they will look "milky" or even white

Also, for how long did you fix?

08-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
If youhave some well developed frames then teh developer was good... it is more an dunderexposure issue
Also if the film had enough space, the frames will look perfectly clear, if they were toouching they will look "milky" or even white

Also, for how long did you fix?
Fixed for 5 minutes, with new Ilford rapid fixer.

I don't *think* the film was wrapped too tightly... but it's possible?

The film was reasonably clear at the end - I'll try to post up photos tonight.
08-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I think I didn't roll it correctly, I'll have to be more careful next time. I did have a hard time loading it at first, so then loaded it from the other side. I've noticed sometimes it seems to get harder to load about halfway through, like there's drag on the reel, despite that I don't see anything on it... It's a paterson plastic reel, I've been having some issues loading it but it's only developed about 10 rolls tops, so I can't see how it would have worn yet. :/

Here's a few photos.

First a few that sort of turned out

This one strangely fades out halfway

Totally blank

Unremarkable photo, but I'm pretty sure I took a number other with the same EI and settings and they were blank.
08-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks like streaks at the sprocket holes on the third scan. Usually a sign of over agitation.
08-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

the totally blank frams look like the developer could not reeach them (aka too tightly wound)
The rest seem fine

08-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
the totally blank frams look like the developer could not reeach them (aka too tightly wound)
The rest seem fine
I'm guessing that's what happened. Looks like I need to sacrifice a roll of film and practice winding. Any tips for how to avoid this with Paterson reels?
08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Patterson reels must be clean.... scrub them from time to time using you mother'sin law toothbrush and some baking soda
And they must be REALLY DRY for them film to easily slide
09-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Arg, I did it again, this time with Delta 400! I'd done a roll of Holga 400 earlier in the day, perhaps the reels weren't clean or dry. :/
09-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

f/2 at 1/125 or 1/250s sounds right at 3200 in a city with lights.

If they're completely blank but with good exposures right next to them then it sounds to me like there's a problem with the camera A development problem wouldn't do that - all the frames would likely be affected to some degree.

Paterson reels are good but the leading corners of the film can jam in them and cause problems. To avoid this, snip the corners off at 45 when loading. Just a couple of milimetres will do the trick.
09-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
f/2 at 1/125 or 1/250s sounds right at 3200 in a city with lights.

If they're completely blank but with good exposures right next to them then it sounds to me like there's a problem with the camera A development problem wouldn't do that - all the frames would likely be affected to some degree.

Paterson reels are good but the leading corners of the film can jam in them and cause problems. To avoid this, snip the corners off at 45 when loading. Just a couple of milimetres will do the trick.
Yeah, it might be that spotmatic is acting up. We'll see, I have a roll of 3200 dev'd with a reliable K1000, will see how that turns out...
09-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You need to look at the frame numbers and the other rebate printing.

If that is uniform and good the loading and development are good.

The camera may have a problem lens off back open fire shutter 1/60 to 1/500 you should see a light other side of camera every firing at begin and end of shutter run.

Loading Patterson reels is like riding a bike, you need to fall off enough.

You need to fix for longer for the plumes from sprocket holes, refix if they disappear it is indicative.

You need to avoid posting positives we need to see the negative image. You need to learn to look for printable details in your shadows on negatives. If you have clear film no shadow details.

Don't worry keep trying, but night photography is difficult try a wet city street scene before more difficult scenarios.
01-04-2016, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I finally developed a roll of this stuff with success! I think most of my past failures were due to contamination from the chalky dust of gloves I was wearing.

I wish someone made a true 3200 ISO black and white film, the low range of 3200 is fantastic and quite limiting.