Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Plase help me decide the price of K1000

Hello,

I want to buy K1000 with a Kalimar zoom macro lens (dunno exact specs, but it involves 70mm) + Pentax AF 15 flash from a retired Palaentologist..Now what i want to use is none of these..But I know that as a diehard Pentax fan, I should collect K1000...So at what price should I buy it? I respect the old man a lot but dont really want to spend much, so I want a resonable estimate..

P.S- I wont be using K1000 at all- god forbid something happened to my K10D, I have Z50p which is n excellent camera..

06-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You would not use the K1000 at all? The K1000, with good film, a good lens, and good technique (i.e. correct exposure and thoughtful composition) will exceed the performance of your K10D. Used properly, a good film camera will produce a more realisitc image--a photograph.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-18-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo
06-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Agreed...But I have already spent $50 in shooting 296 negatives..I simply cant afford it anymore..Now I have to photograph for the sake of educational need n not for the sake of photography..Also, I'm broke at the moment..

N whatever money I want to invest, I'll invest in buying a Circular polarizer, ND grd., Closeup filter, manual Flash gun and a monopod..

Any ways, I'll certainly experiment with K1000 when I'm all set n done with education n start earning..(My Dad still has remnants of his darkroom)

So, what price should I pay for the Cam+ len+flash??
06-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I see...

In terms of the price, I would have to know more about the camera's condition. Also, you would have to be more specific about the lens. I do not know much about the flash model you have specified, but, as far as I know, a more sought-after Pentax flash would be the AF 280T. Keep in mind that the K1000 has something of a "cult value," but, however, there are many K1000s available. You might try looking up the items at KEH's Web site, and note what they are asking for them. KEH's prices usually are somewhat "premium," and that is because of their conservative grading and good service. You might consider their prices, and then adjust a bit downward. I suppose you could look around on eBay, but the prices vary widely there, and the sellers often overestimate the condition of the item.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-18-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
06-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good working Pentax K1000 body might sell for $50-100 in USA.
The Kalimar zoom lens is worth little if anything.

If you buy the K1000 get yourself a good Pentax 35 or 50mm lens.
Once you use it you might find yourself turning your back on digital...

Chris
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

If you buy the K1000 get yourself a good Pentax 35 or 50mm lens.
Once you use it you might find yourself turning your back on digital...

Chris
Good news, I have FA 50/1.4 and SMC 300/4 (K series)..

When I started with photography in January, I bought 50/1.4, 300/4 and Z50p, 2x TC, 25mm macro, John Shaw's Nature potography n Closeups on nature all for $500 (from different sources of course!! who on earth will giveaway such a priceless collection all at once!)...My logic was that instead of buying a DSLR with a kit lens, y not buy good lenses n shoot in film so that I can straightway start shooting birds/low light/macros (n use cellphone to take normal daytoday photos) than being stuck with the kit lens n empty pocket?..after spending 2 rolls n writing notes on each photo, I never wasted a single photo..

But as I got some cash, I bought K10D instead of laptop..

I know the advantages of shooting film..I can actually use the smallest aperture....n many more..also, my kit lens of K10D works well on z50p n gives me 24mm ..therefore for landscapes, film prefered..(though I am yet to actually take landscapes using film slr..)

I think $50 is good enough for the entire equipment..of course I'll see the condition n only then decide..
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Now what i want to use is none of these
Then don't buy it. A good reference point for prices is KEH keeping in mind that all of their cameras come with a 14 day no-hassle return policy, 60 day warranty, are graded on a VERY strict grading system, and have been throughly cleaned up inside and out.

But you don't have to buy or own something to be more or less of a Pentax user. Buy what you will use and/or what you will appriciate. Mindless collecting is what drives prices up and makes things unaffordable for people who actually want them.

06-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I'd offer him $50.00 US if it's in good shape. I just got K1000 off Fleabay for 44.50 with a Vivitar 28-90 S1 lens.
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ti jeans,

U are right..A friend of mine wanted to buy it (to use it) so I am now fixing it up for her. but the lens is all milky and the flash doesnt work..

the camera too has a little problem with shutter..may be its because of no use for a long period..

anyways, thanks to all of u for ur suggestions..indeed they helped alter my perspective..will let u know what happens..
06-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not go on eekbay and take an average of what the first 10 or so come up for?...