Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #16

Get a cheapo changin bag to put your film in the tank! Train putting the film in the tank in daylight with your ruined film and then train with the ruined film in the bag. You'll get it soon!

rgds,
Gerd.

edit: Murfy was faster

09-02-2015, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
When using a plastic tank it can be easier if you trim the film as in the pic below:

Also if you haven't got a changing bag then load your film into the tank at night with all the lights off, underneath the blankets/ duvet of your bed.
Although the bed is not the ideal place as regards dust it has worked for me many times and there is far more room than in a changing bag.
09-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, get a changing bag. Order it now, then practice spooling films in daylight while it ships. Don't order from B/H, because every changing they have is on indefinite backorder. I ended up ordering off Amazon in order to get one before November. Also, you might want to make a list of things you'll need inside the bag so you don't forget anything... if you're anything like me, you'll need it. :-)
09-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
When using a plastic tank it can be easier if you trim the film as in the pic below:

Also if you haven't got a changing bag then load your film into the tank at night with all the lights off, underneath the blankets/ duvet of your bed.
Although the bed is not the ideal place as regards dust it has worked for me many times and there is far more room than in a changing bag.

That's exactly how I trim my film. The 2 little 45 degree angles on the ends make it easier to start it on the reel.

09-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Yep, get a changing bag. Don't order from B/H, because every changing they have is on indefinite backorder.
Yes I noticed that too. I usually order stuff from B&H but I got my changing bag from Adorama.
09-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Thanks everybody for the answers, as a matter of fact I don't if the problem was a incorrect load inside the tank, if I touched it during the process, if it's a air bubble, if it's an incorrect shaking or all the things together!

I use a Peterson tank like this one:

London should have some sort of darkroom photography courses, that you may want to enroll in. I took one about seven years ago to see if I wanted to pursue developing at home.The place had a state of the art darkroom, with areas for cutting film, dust proof closets for hanging film to dry, proper "dark" rooms for changing the film into the developing tanks and so on.

The best part for me was the dry printing. Using the enlarger & filters then putting the paper into the printer and a couple minutes later you have a beautiful 8x10 b&w print. You were allowed an "x" number of hours a week of "off hours" darkroom access, so I would go in Sunday when no classes were on and print a whole bunch of stuff that I had shot over the years just to get prints. (I had to supply the paper of course)

Phil.
09-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have a bathroom with no windows. I have a black cloth on a rod over the door. I drawn the cloth over the door and stuff a towel under it. No problem getting it dark enough.

I've been using stainless steel reels for the last 30 years and I don't know what people don't like about them. Sure, sometimes, loading one will tax my patients to load but I get it done and if these SS reels were too problematic, I wouldn't be using them. And I can't recall ever having the film touch. But mind you I've been loading medium format on those reels 99% of the time instead of small format where the separation between the film is greater. With SS reels, there is an easy trick to do while you are loading it to know if your film is tracking on the spirals and has separation all in the dark.

09-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have a bathroom with no windows. I have a black cloth on a rod over the door. I drawn the cloth over the door and stuff a towel under it. No problem getting it dark enough.

I've been using stainless steel reels for the last 30 years and I don't know what people don't like about them. Sure, sometimes, loading one will tax my patients to load but I get it done and if these SS reels were too problematic, I wouldn't be using them. And I can't recall ever having the film touch. But mind you I've been loading medium format on those reels 99% of the time instead of small format where the separation between the film is greater. With SS reels, there is an easy trick to do while you are loading it to know if your film is tracking on the spirals and has separation all in the dark.
Totally agree about the ss tanks. I have one that is 20 years old, looks brand new and I think it's easier to load and you can feel it on the track to see if it's loaded. Also seems easier to unload and reload if there is a mistake.
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freestyle usually has those darkroom gadgets at good prices
Changing bags and changing "rooms" LOL
QuoteOriginally posted by TheLens Quote
Yes I noticed that too. I usually order stuff from B&H but I got my changing bag from Adorama.
09-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote

Thanks everybody, THIS is the answer: I developed the roll of Delta 3200 and the problem appears to the a bad loading of the tank....I found it extremely awkward to do that in total darkness and I lost quite a lot of exposures because different parts of the film stick to each other.

I need to practise more but it's also difficult for me to fill the plastic tank in daylight.
09-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Complete darkness is a prerequisite, especially for high speed film.
If as you say after a minute or two you could see the room is not dark enough,
thus the recommendation you purchase a changing bag.

Practice (and absolute dryness) should solve your loading problem.

Chris
Yes but the film wasn't exposed...few parts stick with each other because I didn't fill the "spiral" correctly,
09-06-2015, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Victory!

09-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #28

wd! It's a great feeling isn't it
09-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cuthbert Quote
victory!

:d
yeah!
09-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
wd! It's a great feeling isn't it
I'm just thinking about how much money I can save, developing B&W is becoming VERY expensive.