Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you develop your own film?
No 1419.72%
Not yet, but loooking to do so 811.27%
B&W only 3447.89%
Color only   00%
B&W and color 1521.13%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, you can get developers with very long shelf lifes and learn them. HC-110 also stores a long time and you can mix it up in very small working batches. Use water for a stop bath and then you only have to stock, monitor and replace the fixer which is not too bad. That is my process.

Now if you use Rodinal and small format, you can make developing even less of a burden. Learn to do 1-hour stand development with Rodinal. It is easy, yields superb results and lets you get other things while the film develops. The stop and fix process goes pretty fast after that. And don't worry if you space-out and develop the film for, say, 1.5 hours instead. No problem. Anyway it is a process worth exploring.
Yup, that pretty much sums up my experience. As far as I know, Ilfotec HC which I use is identical to HC-110 (developing times, shelf life, dilution), which is out of production or at least hard to find where I live. I also started out with stand and semi-stand developing 120 and 135 film and did get some good results with Ilfotec. When I was confident enough, I started to develop at regular times to experiment a little. Stand development really is an interesting technique and hard to mess up. When in doubt, just dilute it down to 1:100 (saves you a lot of developer) and let it sit in the soup for an hour or two.

09-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For me making wet prints in the darkroom is the most challenging, rewarding (and fun!) part of the photographic process.

Many shy away from film developing and darkroom printing believing they're too difficult, time consuming and/or expensive.
IMO these are vastly overstated, and the new dimension of creative control one gains makes it all worthwhile.

If you haven't tried DIY film processing and printing you don't know what you're missing!

Chris
Confirmed

---------- Post added 09-07-15 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
I develop my own black&white negatives and want to try printing, too, one day. Right now I develop and scan myself, then print some shots I like at the next drugstore. Not too professional, but I like the "cheap and dirty"-diy aspect of what I'm doing.

Before I started, I was worried about the chemical's shelf times and if I would really do it often enough to justify the costs of the chemicals. This held me back for some time, then I decided to stop worrying and to start trying instead and bought an already expired bottle of Ilford Ilfotec HC at a discount. The stuff is still working and thanks to the discovery of the water stop bath technique, there's one thing less to worry about. Rodinal or Adonal will be next, I guess. I like the amount of freedom you get with doing your own stuff at your own terms. No more paying 7 just for developing and doubtful looks from the guy behind the counter when I show up with another roll of HP5+ or Tri-X that I want to have pushed to ISO 3200.
I can only recommend at least to try developing your own black and white negatives, as it doesn't really take that much time and in my eyes there is not so much that can go wrong if you start out basic with a combination of forgiving films and developers. There are so many instructions and possibilities floating around the web, I'm sure there's something for everybody in it.

Color film, which I shoot from time to time, I drop off at the local drugstore and ask for the negatives only. It cost's like 2,50, which I think is very cheap. The only reason I might start to experiment with color chemicals is that I would love to try push processing color film or cross processing slide film on my own. Did you ever try push processing color film? I remember seeing some shots on flickr which looked rally great.
I've had a 1/4 full bottle of Rodinal still be good after 25 years. Opened 78 finished 05 used Kodachrome 25 until it ran out switched back to mono...
09-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well that's interesting. More develop their own than don't. I thought it would be the other way around.
09-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Been developing my own B&W film for nearly a year. Prints for only a few months.
I will not be stopping anytime soon. I'm not too fond of doing prints right now but I just need to make my darkroom more comfy, I think.

09-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

You can buy bulk 35mm cheaper, especially with cine recans or short ends. This only needs a changing bag and second hand daylight loader.

Souping film is easy tank thermometer and changing bag for mono, Add plastic bowl and kettle for colour, etc.

But it is formal even for mono, time and temperature for gamma to print on grade2. Rodinal at 1+50 or 1+100 lasts 25 years... Or is very cheap,...

Printing is time consuming unless your negatives are perfect. Two stops overexposed easy to print even when scanners dmax fails but one stop under exposed waste a weekend for poor print.

You don't need a darkroom just set enlarger on floor of spare bedroom with heave drapes print after dark use print drum for processing in bathroom, this worked for cibachrome, alas history.

If you get stuck scan neg as negative and post for on line help.

ILFORD PHOTO - Processing a Black & White film

Is over complicated...

Last edited by Xmas; 09-14-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Predictive text errer
09-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Rodinal at 1+50 or 1+100 lasts 25 years... Or is very cheap,...
The longevity of Rodinal is only documented by end-users as far as I know. I've never seen an a publication from the manufacturer stating its long shelf life. And everyone seems to give a different age limit. If you've ever read the instructions that came with a bottle of Rodinal, it says only last 6 months after opening the bottle. But clearly it last much longer. FYI.
09-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The longevity of Rodinal is only documented by end-users as far as I know. I've never seen an a publication from the manufacturer stating its long shelf life. And everyone seems to give a different age limit. If you've ever read the instructions that came with a bottle of Rodinal, it says only last 6 months after opening the bottle. But clearly it last much longer. FYI.
1978 to 2005 part full bottle on bathroom window sill.
09-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
1978 to 2005 part full bottle on bathroom window sill.
That is saying you need to get out and shoot more film!

09-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That is saying you need to get out and shoot more film!
I swapped to using Kodachrome 25, in 78, Kodak stopped it, tried E6, then C41, then back to mono, 05.
09-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm limited to B&W for now. C-41 and E-6 are in my future, right after new job and new apartment. My two requirements for the new apartment are space for a full darkroom and will allow my two cats.
09-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I do c-41 at the house. I keep meaning to do some b&w again, but never get around to it.
09-24-2015, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
E-6
Home developing E6 is doable, but cutting/mounting 35mm slides by hand is another story!

Phil.
09-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #28
Pentaxian

This subforum is unique and exceptional.

Chris
Over at the large format forum, most everyone develops their own film. And there way more film shooters there than here.
09-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Over at the large format forum, most everyone develops their own film. And there way more film shooters there than here.
Probably there are not many 4x5 digital backs yet?
09-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Yeah, but they don't use Pentax cameras!

Chris
Yes, some do. I know several Pentax 6x7 shooters. Just like here people shoot more than Ricoh cameras. Over there we shoot other formats as well and all pretty much home developed.