Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the exposure S curve - which digital tries to emulate, and fails at miserably
It is nice to see this truth explicitly expressed.

Steve

09-16-2015, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
There is another aspect (in addition to previous comments) to the psychology involved in the type of camera used. It is associated in particular with film photos associated with personal memories. Film has a material presence that electrons don't have. Thus one holds the actual film that faced the subject, and was bombarded with photons that bounced off the subject being photographed. A photon that bounced of a long-gone loved one, embedded into the emulsion you now hold in your hand. Of course, none of this is arguing about the differing quality, economics and utility in using digital versus film. Only claiming a certain psychological satisfaction unique to film.
I meant to mention this exact phenomenon earlier - this is huge to me - the film being a physical 'witness' of the scene that was photographed. It makes it far more personal and connected to me - certainly the effect this has is largely psychological, but it is also just a physical reality. A profound one IMO.
09-17-2015, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I also agree. Where I disagree is what that 'good' and that 'best' are; We have different definitions of these terms in the context of photography. that is all. We are much more alike photographically than I think you give credit.
TBH then you are one of the few people I 'know' who understands.
09-17-2015, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
There is another aspect (in addition to previous comments) to the psychology involved in the type of camera used. It is associated in particular with film photos associated with personal memories. Film has a material presence that electrons don't have. Thus one holds the actual film that faced the subject, and was bombarded with photons that bounced off the subject being photographed. A photon that bounced of a long-gone loved one, embedded into the emulsion you now hold in your hand. Of course, none of this is arguing about the differing quality, economics and utility in using digital versus film. Only claiming a certain psychological satisfaction unique to film.
+1 for this. It's sentimental, yet profound. I have a similar experience as an astrophotographer. Even though the camera can capture more than my eye, I still feel a great connection to visual observing because those actual photons are being received by my eye.

09-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
TBH then you are one of the few people I 'know' who understands.
Incidentally, MC... I'm a big fan of your (new-ish?) signature.