Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want the K1000 with DOF preview, without self-timer.

Chris

09-10-2015, 03:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
me too - I'l keep an eye out

Hoping someone will post some knowledge on this anomaly .......
09-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The simplest explanation is that it is not a K1000, but a KX or KM that has had the top cover replaced with one from a K1000. I don't know how you would identify the camera from its internal mechanism.

Perhaps Eric Hendrickson can shed some light. I believe that he was working for Pentax then.

It could be a very early production model, a prototype or a Japan-only model, or it could be a frankencamera, that has been put together from the parts of two or more other cameras. The K1000 was basically a Spotmatic with a bayonet mount, so I suspect that the self-timer from a Spotmatic could be grafted onto a K1000 fairly easily.
09-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My father says that a small batch of the K1000's they sold in the late 1970's or early in 1980 came from Pentax with self-timers and depth of field preview (single lever, push one way for depth of field and the other for self timer) and that when they asked their Pentax rep about it he just said "don't ask". This was for a promotional special with 50mm f/1.4's that they ran to pound the competition into the dirt locally. He said that they had 100 units delivered and he knows at least 3 of those had this feature but not sure if more did. He has no photo evidence sadly.

09-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noblepa

Thanks for your thoughts. My thoughts are as follows.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The simplest explanation is that it is not a K1000, but a KX or KM that has had the top cover replaced with one from a K1000. I don't know how you would identify the camera from its internal mechanism.
OK, what you say is possible. But, I challenge the notion by simply saying - why would you do a half job in modifying the camera? If it were a KM body with depth of field button installed then to remove/ leave off does not make sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
It could be a very early production model, a prototype or a Japan-only model, or it could be a frankencamera, that has been put together from the parts of two or more other cameras. The K1000 was basically a Spotmatic with a bayonet mount, so I suspect that the self-timer from a Spotmatic could be grafted onto a K1000 fairly easily.
I do not think it is a Frankencamera in the sense that it was a non-genuine modified camera. Nor do I think it is a prototype. It is, however, clearly a hybrid of the KM and K1000. I know this as I have peeled back the leatherette to find the hole necessary for installing the depth of field button - just no button!

Back to my first comment - why do a half job? If it was a Frankencamera or a modification by a non-genuine repairer then why carry over the timer and not the depth of field button? And why have a genuine leatherette that has been perforated for the timer function but not the depth of field button?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My father says that a small batch of the K1000's they sold in the late 1970's or early in 1980 came from Pentax with self-timers and depth of field preview (single lever, push one way for depth of field and the other for self timer) and that when they asked their Pentax rep about it he just said "don't ask".
This could be an explanation (in part). I like the idea that the camera was a promotional special - everything about the unit is genuine for the expected production date. Yes, it has the bump on the top plate, serial as well. No serial on bottom plate. Internals, as pictured, are of a early K1000. And then there is the hole provision ready for the depth of field button, but no button??? I have not ventured to examine if the workings are there for depth of field or not, but I suspect they are not.

In any case, the camera is what it is - an anomaly - I only wish an UncleVanya style explanation could surface. In this respect, I think I might send to Eric for a CLA and explanation at the same time.

---------- Post added 09-20-15 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This was for a promotional special with 50mm f/1.4's
One last point. When I received the camera it came with the 55/2 lens - the standard lens for the K1000. So if it was a promotional camera I suspect it would have been an early promotion rather than latter on.
09-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to clarify the promotional special wasn't driven by Pentax. The local store had an advertising glitch. They put an ad in the paper for a price that they could easily do with the 50 f/2. They problem was the guy reading the ad copy to the paper told them 50 f/1.4 - they called Pentax in a panic and the Pentax sales rep pulled a rabbit out of his hat and found a way to get these to them with the 50 f/1.4 lenses cheaper than normal so they could make a small but real profit on what otherwise would have been a blood bath and a money loser.

So Sadly I have no idea if this was early or late in the cycle of the K1000 run - I would say later since the 50 f/2 I think was the standard lens then as dad remembers things. I may ask his old boss if he recalls any details on this story also.
09-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It sure looks factory to me. I think it was a test build of a feature set that never made it to production. If it was a production run camera I can't help but think someone would have seen another.

02-12-2016, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt:
I want the K1000 with DOF preview, without self-timer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildmark:
me too - I'l keep an eye out
Hoping someone will post some knowledge on this anomaly .......
Like this one?

My $00.02 worth of advice: If you want a DOF preview equipped K1000, buy a KM. KMs are pretty much the same price on the used market, and usually come with a faster fifty

Last edited by Moe49; 07-15-2016 at 07:26 AM.
03-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #24

Could be a KM with a K1000's top, the KM has a self timer but no DOF. Check the meter design, that would be a good clue.
03-01-2016, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Focalplane Quote
Could be a KM with a K1000's top, the KM has a self timer but no DOF.
Both of my KMs have a DOF button and a Self Timer.
05-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Focalplane Quote
Could be a KM with a K1000's top, the KM has a self timer but no DOF. Check the meter design, that would be a good clue.
I checked for a hole suitable for installing the DOF button and there was none.

I am now thinking it was an early design (non-released) that closely matched the Spotmatic F
10-19-2019, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #27

I had one of these

Every time I post this image "experts" correct me and say this isn't a Pentax K1000, and usually their argument is that self timer. I used this camera from 1976 until about 1993 when it literally fell apart. I was a newspaper photographer, and ran my own studios starting in 1984.

Yes, a K1000 with a self timer is a rarity

Attached Images

10-19-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #28

I made my own K1000 self-timer. Used Spotmatic parts from my parts bin.
Attached Images

10-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Like this one?
If this is a shopped image, it's a very good one.
10-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My dad has told me that in times of short stock Pentax would sometimes relabel a camera to meet a contract subbing in a better camera. He said this from both the perspective of a dealer and a manufacturers rep. (he had both roles, the latter with Pentax).