Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #16

Original Poster
I appreciate the insight. The thing is, I am an absolute novice when it comes to digital editing. Hand a toddler a crayon, and you'll get an idea of my skills.

I'm hoping the photo gods were smiling on me, and these pics won't be all tangled up in blue. Or, at least it will be a relatively easy fix.

One thing's for certain, though: the KX is loaded with Provia again, the way it should be.

09-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I appreciate the insight. The thing is, I am an absolute novice when it comes to digital editing. Hand a toddler a crayon, and you'll get an idea of my skills.

I'm hoping the photo gods were smiling on me, and these pics won't be all tangled up in blue. Or, at least it will be a relatively easy fix.

One thing's for certain, though: the KX is loaded with Provia again, the way it should be.
Finding the most pleasing tones in portraitures is tough but I don't really anticipate much work here. BTW, what software do you use for post work? Although I have Photohop, I found that ACDSee can do most of the post work I need plus it is a great viewer for all formats of files.. It has the eyedropper function to let you do selective white balance very easily as well as some really advance lighting and color adjustments. The latest version I have(version 8) even does some layering which I haven't even explored yet.
09-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Finding the most pleasing tones in portraitures is tough but I don't really anticipate much work here. BTW, what software do you use for post work? Although I have Photohop, I found that ACDSee can do most of the post work I need plus it is a great viewer for all formats of files.. It has the eyedropper function to let you do selective white balance very easily as well as some really advance lighting and color adjustments. The latest version I have(version 8) even does some layering which I haven't even explored yet.
Software? Post work? I don't. I do my best pre-exposure, and get what I get.

FTR, my lack of software savvy is decidedly NOT an indictment of post-processing. I just don't do it. I haven't made the investment in money or time to acquire and become proficient with any editing software. It's times like this I wish I had.

I've been called a Luddite, but I deny it. Those Luddites are too progressive and trendy to suit me.

It is at this point that I'll open the floor for recommendations of editing software.
09-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Software? Post work? I don't. I do my best pre-exposure, and get what I get.

FTR, my lack of software savvy is decidedly NOT an indictment of post-processing. I just don't do it. I haven't made the investment in money or time to acquire and become proficient with any editing software. It's times like this I wish I had.

I've been called a Luddite, but I deny it. Those Luddites are too progressive and trendy to suit me.

It is at this point that I'll open the floor for recommendations of editing software.
I believe you can try it for free for a month -> ACDSee Pro 8

09-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I believe you can try it for free for a month -> ACDSee Pro 8
Free works with my budget. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how much editing do you do to a typical image? (I'm talking time here. Five minutes? 30? More?)
09-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Free works with my budget. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how much editing do you do to a typical image? (I'm talking time here. Five minutes? 30? More?)
I am certain all the others also offer free trial such as Lightroom and others -> Adobe products

I have scanned about 30,000 frames of every type of film I could get a hold of using practically every way you can scan and I can say that straight-up neutral scans using the Nikon Coolscan+Nikonscan require very little - if any at all, as long as I did what I needed to do at the time I press the shutter. Typical post work that I do is resize, crop and add copyright. However, I do other post enhancement such as HDR, stitching, contact sheet, color temperature adjustments as well as try to fix mistakes I may have made . . .
09-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You don't have to be a whiz on the computer to do the basics on a digital file. And if you're going to share images via the web it doesn't hurt to learn a little. Watch some video tutorials on youtube, practice and in short order you should have the basics down. Leaning how to import your files , crop, adjust brightness/contrast, color balance and exporting your competed work to a web file will prove to be very useful and should be pretty effortless after a while.

09-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #23

Original Poster
Well, my Luddite tendencies notwithstanding, I'm not totally computer illiterate. I work with fairly sophisticated CADD/civil design software on a daily basis, doing everything from geodetics to digital terrain modeling. The thing is, after a day's worth of that, the last thing I want is more computing intruding on my hobby.

I can see, though, where it would be a helpful, if not necessary, skill to learn.

*sigh*

I'll check out some of the software.
09-15-2015, 01:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me the typical range with scanned analog images would indeed be 5 to 30 minutes, depending on how much I value a shot and how difficult it is to get it right.

Concerning your problem: (1) Show us the results you get! (2) If the colour balance does not work out would B&W be an option? (3) Send/transfer the best blue shot from the roll and I'll see what I can do.
09-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
For me the typical range with scanned analog images would indeed be 5 to 30 minutes, depending on how much I value a shot and how difficult it is to get it right.

Concerning your problem: (1) Show us the results you get! (2) If the colour balance does not work out would B&W be an option? (3) Send/transfer the best blue shot from the roll and I'll see what I can do.
I sent the film off for processing yesterday, so I should have lab scans I can share by the end of the week.

As for B&W, I did take a few shots with Tri-X. Maybe Tri-X will save the day.

I'll try to post a few samples once the lab people do their part.
09-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As for B&W, I did take a few shots with Tri-X. Maybe Tri-X will save the day.
I was thinking of converting your shots to B&W if you can't get the colours right.
09-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #27

Original Poster
Just to update...

I had a definite blue shift. A friend has some software that we used to "warm up" the shots, and it helped. I'm still not crazy about the color, but they're better. I did some B/W conversions that looked pretty good, so we'll probably print a couple of those and call it good.

I would post a sample pic or two, but I can't seem to make it work on my phone.

Thanks for all your input.