Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

MX shutter dial... am I doing it right?

I find it very difficult to turn the shutter dial while taking the picture.

I know some cameras are tight others easy but what is normal for an MX? Seems to be a two finger affair on the copies I have used.

Being left eye dominant makes it less easy for sure to do with the camera up to your face.

It's really my only complaint about the little guy. Love it.

09-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The dial on the MX here is a bit tight and height/location of the shutter button makes it more difficult to access.
The Ricohs here are easier by the location of the shutter button however the Ricoh XR-2 is more difficult, much like the Pentax MX.

I recall the Pentax ME Super, with its electric shutter speed buttons, took some getting used to.
09-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I find it very difficult to turn the shutter dial while taking the picture.

I know some cameras are tight others easy but what is normal for an MX? Seems to be a two finger affair on the copies I have used.

Being left eye dominant makes it less easy for sure to do with the camera up to your face.

It's really my only complaint about the little guy. Love it.
That's pretty much anyone's complaint, if they have one, about the MX. Never really bothered - I've just gotten used to it and can do it by pinching the dial (thumb and index finger) while resting the camera in my left palm holding the lens with left fingers.... camera barely leaves my eye if at all. Certainly not as graceful as a one-figured affair (that sounds dirty) but doesn't really slow me down much. Every camera has a quirk.. that's the MX's.
09-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can do IT but I have to develop a technique

09-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jamey777. You're correct: the shutter speed dial on the Pentax MX 35mm SLR camera is tighter than the one in the earlier Pentax KX and makes it difficult to impossible changing the shutter speed with just the index finger. I used to have both and that was my main gripe on the MX. Now, I suspect it was because the mechanical linkage to the shutter and the viewfinder indicator was actually more complex than that of the KX and the Nikon FM, which I evaluated once but never purchased (that was the time of the old economy [pre-real state deflation] and yep, it's similar to the time of the new economy [a.k.a. now]). I wonder if a camera repair person may be willing to try to smooth the dialing operation, but for now or the last 30 something years, 'it is what it is'.
09-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

It is a bit stiff but I can adjust it with my index finger while looking through the viewfinder. (ooh err missus)
09-22-2015, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Overminiaturization, or damn you OM-1!

The MX shutter speed dial is also too close to the pentaprism cover, leaving less finger room.

Chris
09-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, i will trade that for 39 exposures :-)