Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P30T looking grim.

Was reloading a roll today when to my horror the shutter cocking arm swung freely and without effort to its limits when I tried to wind on. Last shot of previous roll was good, but the arm got almost to the end of the arc on what would have been frame 25. I fear something has sheared off inside. Is this a well established terminal failure mode, or should I look at getting it fixed?

09-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This thread might help:
Pentax P30t - Broken advance lever
09-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, so mine is probably doomed. That being the case, has anyone ever salvaged the split focus screen from one of these and installed it successfully in a K5? Will that work?
09-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are some queries on PF lately about problems with the old P30 film cameras .
I am putting a counter-point to anybody considering acquiring one of these in preference to other Pentax bodies of the time, particularly in preference to the earlier metal Pentax or Ricoh K bodies.

For the pathdoc's problem , here is quote page 9 of the Operating manual:
"Note: The wind lever may stop in the middle of a stroke when the film comes to its end. Do not force the lever and rewind the film leaving the lever as it is"

I don't see such a comment in the manuals here for other , earlier Pentax cameras I had.

I owned a P30T and it was not a nice camera for me to use, furthermore it was nothing but trouble, it failed 3 times in warranty (still have the 3 Australian service reports here) and I abandoned it on 3rd fail.
It was restricted to dx code iso settings.
The Manual shutter mode ( which I liked to use for 35 years on these cameras and still do) , was annoying to me on the P30T compared to the earlier Pentax and Ricoh K bodies I had.
I don't recall why, perhaps it was the dim display compared to the earlier cameras' leds, or perhaps it was the difficulty of rotating the shutter dial.
The manual mode is described on pages 24+ of the P30T operating manual.
The camera, of plastic , at 500 g was not the lightest in its class.
The metering range for night tripod photos was way too limited: Lowest manual was 1 sec, metering limit was only to 1/8 sec with f/2.8 even with iso 400 film. (The coupling range diagram on page 40 has sent me cross-eyed a few times)
( Compare to say, a Pentax MZ-5, or a metal bodied SPD metered Ricoh of that era.)
Even the much older Pentax MX could do better low light metering:
https://app.box.com/s/oo6slnkpofcjoh4zsouf

Am I too critical of this camera?
I suppose there are others who had more success with the P30T than I did!

09-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was had at a bargain to replace an heirloom P3 I thought was dead but later returned to life. I quite liked it; it had the right mix of manual and automatic functions, and felt good to hold. The fact that it was working well until this failure (which in retrospect I may unintentionally have brought about, though that last winding stroke didn't feel any different) suggests you had a particularly bad copy.
09-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

You're welcome to my P30T for free if you're OK with paying shipping. It's in 9/10 condition, not giving it a 10 because it not ... new. PM me you postal code if you want and I'll let you know the cost, I'm in the GTA near Toronto.
09-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm genuinely touched by the generosity of the people on this forum. PM sent.