Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ode to the LX ... My God, It's Full of Stars

This is nothing more than a new thread to say what myself and many other have said many times; I just felt the need post a new and dedicated one, gushing my love of this dang camera. I've never shot a camera I enjoy more. Everything it does, it does well, simply and to the precise point. Mine is in need of a CLA but I've put off boxing it up and sending it to Eric for over about two years now simply because I don't want to be without it.
That viewfinder... I can focus manually with that bright and gorgeous thing than any other camera, and in many situations even faster than I could AF on others. With a fast 50 mounted it brings a new meaning to 1:1 both-eyes-opening shooting.
That grip and form-factor... perfect. The finish, ridiculously good.
The weight; just the right amount of heft but not approaching "heavy".
The meter... my God, the meter.
And more. I just effing love the thing and wish I'd bought one a decade or more earlier.
/gush

09-19-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Amen.

My brassed and beaten copy saw twenty years of hard use,
until I weaned myself off chemicals and moved to digital.
09-19-2015, 01:45 PM - 3 Likes   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ode to the LX ... My God, It's Full of Stars
Oh I know that feeling... here's one of mine, full of LX goodness.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-19-2015, 03:05 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let's face it, in a manual focus camera, you really have to rely on the viewfinder and the Pentax LX brought functionality and elegance in design to the interchangeable viewfinder cameraworld as it is the only one that is fully functional - and actually usable, even without one installed. On the Nikon F3 you can't even see the shutter speed selected on the tiny LCD. The Minolta XK is - for all intents and purposes, not functional without it. On the Canon New F-1 - and all the other previous interchangeable viewfinder cameras unless I missed one, you need the viewfinder as the metering info can only be viewed through it.

And of course it is only piling-on when Pentax provided the most variety of viewfinders, eye-relief/magnification with most having built-in diopter.

09-19-2015, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Miranda or Practica in that lineup, Les. Miranda used to advertise their toplessness in the appropriate 1970s fashion (I briefly owned one then), but neither were really considered a professional's camera.

Anyway, I have to agree on all points. I've a similar LX collection to Kerrowdown's, and the sense of holding something special with the LX probably tops every other camera I've had, including the Leica IIIf. Even that odd, hollow "thwack " when the shutter fires is special in its own way.
09-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No Miranda or Practica in that lineup, Les. Miranda used to advertise their toplessness in the appropriate 1970s fashion (I briefly owned one then), but neither were really considered a professional's camera.
Miranda ads were the best!

They all advertised toplessness of course but the metering types loose their functionality - except the LX, due to their dependence on the viewfinder.
09-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Of all the camera I have the LX is definitely the most useful, with the F-1N it's probably the best 35mm SLR I have ever used.

09-19-2015, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Sure, it's (always) time for another LX LoveFest !!!

~Nothing~ looks, sounds, or feels the same as an LX . . .
09-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Miranda ads were the best!

They all advertised toplessness of course but the metering types loose their functionality - except the LX, due to their dependence on the viewfinder.
The Practica didn't, but its viewfinder was far more primitive. Its shutter sound was likewise, but like most East German cameras it was pretty solid (I have one of those, too...) in spite of being lightly built.
09-19-2015, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pretty pretty pretty.
I'm a big fan of the LX shutter sound actually.
09-19-2015, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's face it, in a manual focus camera, you really have to rely on the viewfinder and the Pentax LX brought functionality and elegance in design to the interchangeable viewfinder cameraworld as it is the only one that is fully functional - and actually usable, even without one installed.
And of course it is only piling-on when Pentax provided the most variety of viewfinders, eye-relief/magnification with most having built-in diopter.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
the sense of holding something special with the LX probably tops every other camera I've had
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Sure, it's (always) time for another LX LoveFest !!!
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Nothing~ looks, sounds, or feels the same as an LX .
Well said already and I can`t resist adding. When the LX was first available here and I handled it at the store where I worked I knew this was the finest ever. Finally got one two years ago and still every bit as impressed with it every time I pick it up. If I had to sell everything else but one camera, the LX is a keeper with no second thoughts.
09-20-2015, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just one combination …
09-20-2015, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Here is one of my Pentax LX taken on Lomography 100 film using another Pentax LX and the SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro.

A good reason to have another LX . . .
09-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All this just makes me want another one. then perhaps I could bear to send this one off to Eric....
09-21-2015, 08:37 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
All this just makes me want another one. then perhaps I could bear to send this one off to Eric....
How else can you take a photo of the LX through the eyes of another LX . . .