Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Truly we have a glut of the finest film bodies ever made that will last multiple lifetimes, but heck it is hypothetical so here is my lineup.

Starting of with the LX, add the OM3's spot capability, use the full hybrid shutter of the FM3A and the motor drive and multifunction back of the X-700 . . .

09-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Nikon did just this for the S3 and SP circa 2000 they were eye watering expensive even when subsidised.
09-22-2015, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
So, basically an LXII?
That would make the most sense, as long as the built was like the original.

Like what Pentax did with the 67ii. Don't need anymore new plastic AF film bodies.

Phil.
09-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There are still some manufacturers that make SLRs. I think Vivitar is among them. And guess what mount it is? That's right - its K-mount (Vivitar V3800N). But I don't think they make much revenue from that. So go buy one of those, tell us how great it is. (just checked, apparently it costs under $200 and comes with bag, 50mm f1.7 and battery. everything you need, except the film)

I had one of these about 7 years ago it is what got me back in to photography and the k mount again. I would say it would be good for students in collage if they still offer photography using film that is.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 05:41 PM ----------

I also wish I still had a film body my k1000 was in such bad shape I traded it to the camera store for a couple of filters he pretty much said that the only good part was the shutter.

09-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I have a PZ-1 coming in the mail, specifically purchased so I can thoroughly test my DA lenses for FF compatibility. It will be my last film body.
I suspect medium and large format film will have a viable future for a while, but 135 and smaller? Not so much.
09-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Yes, but it wouldn't be a Pentax...

Were there sufficient demand in the marketplace Mr. Kobayashi's Cosina
could easily produce a modern high-quality 35mm film SLR with PK mount.

Chris
09-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Were there sufficient demand in the marketplace Mr. Kobayashi's Cosina
could easily produce a modern high-quality 35mm film SLR with PK mount.

Chris
True story.

Voigtlander 35 mm Cameras

It would interesting however. I for one would love to see them take the LX design and expand upon as they've done with their Bessa line.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 03:33 PM ----------

(incidentally, I'm infatuated with the medium format Bessa III folder... I imagine I will eventually own one. Truly the most useful modern operations married to purely traditional design/form.... What's not to be intrigued about?)
09-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

So, basically an LXII?
Yes, a LXII with different metering systems, AF and perhaps a digital back would be a very good choice, probably better than another plastic FF on the market.

09-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll take interchangeable viewfinders and OS metering for the dLX and leave everthing else to the Smithsonian Museum of Design.
09-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
Site Supporter

The past couple of years I've shot more film than digital again, but seldom with an SLR. I much prefer a good rangefinder for my type of photography. BTW, Leica introduced a new film model I the past year - all mechanical, not even a light meter. It has sold more than expected. I have film cameras from the '30s, '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s that function like new and are reliable. Not an autofocus in the bunch. My newest is a Zeiss Ikon ZM (Leica M mount) that was a new model in 2006, sold until 2012. Leica still make 3 film models, even though there are enough good used to satisfy the demand. There are still enough folks that want a new film camera - even with the same features as a 1980s model - to offer to a niche market.
Just a few years ago Nikon got a patent for an SLR digital back to fit film cameras. At least they still think outside the box...
Back to the question at hand: if Pentax made a commemorative run of either the LX or o previous "milestone" model, I'd likely buy one. A new design, modern camera? No thanks.
09-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
if Pentax made a commemorative run of either the LX or o previous "milestone" model, I'd likely buy one.
What do you think that would cost - $2,500?

I actually might rather buy that than the K-FF (dLX)
09-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What do you think that would cost - $2,500?

I actually might rather buy that than the K-FF (dLX)
Dream on baby... >>$
The boom in film photography 75 and on was fuelled by the synergy between c41 mini labs and easy to use 35mm SLRs that were made in millions.
K1000, OM10, Nikon...
A short run of 5000 off is expensive - even hand made
Cosina were making FM10 until recent and may still be.
Most Uni art students here in UK buy used system manual camera they get a 70 page PDF...
I've seen one buying a MPP 4x5!
09-23-2015, 02:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Dream on baby... >>$
The boom in film photography 75 and on was fuelled by the synergy between c41 mini labs and easy to use 35mm SLRs that were made in millions.
K1000, OM10, Nikon...
A short run of 5000 off is expensive - even hand made
Cosina were making FM10 until recent and may still be.
Most Uni art students here in UK buy used system manual camera they get a 70 page PDF...
I've seen one buying a MPP 4x5!
The Leica MA costs $4000 and it's made in Germany, IMO a target of $2500 would be feasible and if the product is good they will sell,especially if they can provide a digital back.
09-23-2015, 04:09 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
especially if they can provide a digital back
Even if it's only 10-12MP, that would be fine. All we need is the option. I quite like the idea of a cartridge that can fit inside, though. Take it out, plug it into a USB port, and "process your film".
09-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Even if it's only 10-12MP, that would be fine. All we need is the option. I quite like the idea of a cartridge that can fit inside, though. Take it out, plug it into a USB port, and "process your film".
And you have a film camera that can also be used as a digital, probably the back will be thicker than the film one, but I think it's feasible and would be a good idea or at least more than another plastic DSLR is a overcrowded market.