Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hypothetical - If Pentax brought out a 35mm film SLR today...

...would you consider it?

Naturally it would have to have an uncrippled K mount. I think anything else would be a deal-breaker.

What other features would you desire?

I suspect this is going to polarise into at least two very broad camps, but we shall see.

09-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
...would you consider it?
Yes. But there is a 'but' coming....
... It would have to be a spectacular camera to justify using it alongside my LX (recent CLA) and my MZ-3 (fresh CLA).
09-22-2015, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To be honest I wouldn't consider it. I have some film cameras and find that I simply don't use them at all. I have, but I don't enjoy film. It doesn't have the magic to it that some people seem to find for me. I'm going to sell my film gear because of this.
09-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well yes... because in the land of unicorns, they are still making film cameras
I think that train is long gone... even hypothetical...

09-22-2015, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
... It would have to be a spectacular camera to justify using it alongside my LX (recent CLA) and my MZ-3 (fresh CLA).
New LX, new MZ-3, new generation of technicians trained in the care and servicing of film cameras and lenses? (The cost and time of the latter is what makes this truly hypothetical.)
09-22-2015, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
To be honest I wouldn't consider it. I have some film cameras and find that I simply don't use them at all. .....
Neither me.
09-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think that train is long gone... even hypothetical...
Granted, but I thought it would make for a nice bit of fun now that the waiting time for "the full-frame which shall not be named" has become longer than we hitherto expected.

09-22-2015, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(The cost and time of the latter is what makes this truly hypothetical.)
I'm still working on my 1st coffee, the 'hypothetical' part had not sunk in yet
What other features would you desire?
Well, ergonomically comfortable like a MZ-S.
Auto Focus improvements of the newer** dSLR's.
The LX viewfinder & focus screen options.
Traditional mode & shutter speed dials where possible.

** newer than K7. My 'lowly' MZ-3 nails auto focus far more reliably that my 'newer' K7 did.

Last edited by Moe49; 09-22-2015 at 06:22 AM.
09-22-2015, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Granted, but I thought it would make for a nice bit of fun now that the waiting time for "the full-frame which shall not be named" has become longer than we hitherto expected.
I would love the come back of film... I still love film... a modern LX, MX body will be nice (as long as they still keep the metal body). But I also think a modern spin on them will ruin them. I still like film cameras for what they are and I am not sure I will embrace the new technology on film bodies.
09-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For the record, mine is as follows:

Start with the P30T. Given the embarrassing failure mode mine recently chose (the film advance lever fractured), go to all-metal or at least much tougher plastics.

Add ISO override.

Add shutter priority when aperture-ringed lenses are set to A (those that have them), or when a DA lens is fitted, and lift the max shutter speed to 1/2000.

Add an aperture indicator if at all possible (negotiable).

Offer full-manual, no-batteries reversion at B and 1/100 as per the ME. (It would be nice to have it at ALL speeds up to 1/1000, but I'm not sure how possible this is on cameras which of necessity have electronic shutter-speed control.)
09-22-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My suggestion is that Ricoh-Pentax produces a nice and easy digital to film converter with multi features like various film types with lots of ISOs and blank frames then we would play the old game with fresh enjoyment! !!!
09-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There are two ways Pentax could make a film SLR today:
a) Really amazing, robust, full of features, and expensive
b) Really basic, super affordable, minor features.

If Pentax goes with a) nobody will buy it because they would rather invest in digital. If Pentax goes with b) nobody will buy it because nobody needs another basic SLR.

There are still some manufacturers that make SLRs. I think Vivitar is among them. And guess what mount it is? That's right - its K-mount (Vivitar V3800N). But I don't think they make much revenue from that. So go buy one of those, tell us how great it is. (just checked, apparently it costs under $200 and comes with bag, 50mm f1.7 and battery. everything you need, except the film)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-22-2015 at 06:32 AM.
09-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think Vivitar is among them. And guess what mount it is? That's right - its K-mount (Vivitar V3800N). But I don't think they make much revenue from that. So go buy one of those, tell us how great it is
I think they stop making them... on BH website it shows as no longer available.

But... there are plenty of new and quirky film cameras in the lomography camp...
http://shop.lomography.com/ca/cameras/camera-best-sellers

Actually there is one that I kind of like, but I would never pay that kind of price for it...
http://shop.lomography.com/ca/cameras/camera-best-sellers/la-sardina-camera-...sh-belle-starr

And this seems to be a very cool thing for panoramas
http://shop.lomography.com/ca/cameras/35mm-cameras/horizon-kompakt

Last edited by mrNewt; 09-22-2015 at 06:46 AM.
09-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There is still a market for film camera, because many people still like to shoot film, simply for pleasure and old day's sake. The 'problem' is, that there are tons of used film cameras out there that are built like tanks and last forever, offer everything you need and a dirt cheap.

How would Ricoh manage to sell a new film SLR with so many great, cheap cameras around?
09-22-2015, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you had asked ten years ago, when I was still shooting film, I might have said yes - although the film *ist (not -D) was available then, and I didn't buy one.
If you had asked five years ago, when I was struggling with the 6MP CCD sensor in low light, I still might have said yes.
But now, - no. If I want to shoot film, it would be for the "slow food" experience, and I would dig out my ME-Super. Maybe the P30T, just because it still feels good in the hand, but I wouldn't want "modern" bells and whistles.