Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 04:27 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If Pentax brought out a 35mm film SLR today...
I would certainly consider having one, especially if a strong build like an LX, MX or perhaps a small K-5 style. A more a mechanical design rather than electronic.

09-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the point of a digital back? I thought this was about a small run of legacy LX film cameras - of course they could never get the supplier components and the skilled assemblers are all dead or retired, and they could only sell 1000 of them globally if they could even make them - because they would cost a ridiculous amount of money for a film camera.

And what makes Germany such a magic place to manufacture a film camera? If its so good maybe the manufacturing should be contracted out to Leica.
09-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
of course they could never get the supplier components and the skilled assemblers are all dead or retired, and they could only sell 1000 of them globally if they could even make them - because they would cost a ridiculous amount of money for a film camera.
Yes, but we can dream and talk and have fun doing it, can't we?

and the skilled assemblers are all dead or retired
Personally I think we've lost expertise we should never have permitted ourselves to lose - we're going to want it all back someday, and it won't be there any more. It depresses me. Where are we going to send our cameras and lenses for CLA/repair when Eric's no longer with us? He's good at what he does and I hope he's around for many years to come, but he is neither immortal nor superhuman and he deserves a life beyond the testing and repair bench.
09-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
The Leica MA costs $4000 and it's made in Germany, IMO a target of $2500 would be feasible and if the product is good they will sell,especially if they can provide a digital back.
The MA is only a small variant of the rest of the current Leica film M production.
The same kit of parts, (almost) and the same 'technician'...
Eg dissappointly they are still using the M7 chassis so IXMOO won't fit.
The modern DSLRs are cheap cause they are designed for manufacture and assembly by robots.
It would be a big change for Pentax to make 5000 off mechanical.

If you want a digital camera buy one.

Leica did do a clip on digital back for a film SLR - the DMR it is possible...

But sell well don't think so...

Last edited by Xmas; 09-23-2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Predictive error
09-23-2015, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@pathdoc: Loss of sophisticated hand skilled work in western economies to emerging market workers is endemic throughout the global economy. Culturally the vast majority of conumers (who in the past would never have owned an SLR at all) is conditioned to accept inexpensive digital products that have a short useful life and are replaced frequently.

We lament more than merely the ageing and death of several tens of thousands of Japanese company men (and their American conterparts).
09-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Expertise is slowly gained and quickly lost.
09-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

The only reasonable way this would happen would be Pentax selling a re-branded Cosina (like Nikon does with the FM-10.)

I actually think this is doable. It's not a huge market, but is low risk. Cosina still has current manufacturing capacity. Pentax could request subtle style changes (like the classic Pentax pentaprism housing.) Name it the K1000 II. Maybe price it a little bit higher than the FM-10 and use a bit more real metal in the body.

I know there is a market for a reasonably priced, name brand SLR. Every September I sell a few generic SLRs to students starting a photography class. They are universally nervous about buying a used camera, but cling to the big names that they hear from the instructors, Pentax, Nikon, Canon. Nikon is serving this market with the FM10. Why would Pentax want to do the same thing? Because it creates a lifelong relationship with a customer. If they start their serious exploration of photography with Pentax, you build familiarity, trust, and get people into your lens mount.

The bigger problem I see is providing manual focus lenses for these cameras. Nikon still makes some AI-s lenses; Pentax hasn't had new manual focus lenses since they stripped the AF mechanism out of a few F zooms in the 1990's.

- and yes I would buy one -

09-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote

The bigger problem I see is providing manual focus lenses for these cameras. Nikon still makes some AI-s lenses; Pentax hasn't had new manual focus lenses since they stripped the AF mechanism out of a few F zooms in the 1990's.

- and yes I would buy one -
Cosina until few years ago offered the Nokton in PK mount, now they discontinued it and it's just available in Ais and EF mount, so it would be easy for Ricoh to send the optical parts of their AF lenses to Cosina to manufacture new MF, easier than rebranding the FM10.
09-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Cosina make lots of manual focus SLR lenses already?
09-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
The bigger problem I see is providing manual focus lenses for these cameras.
Samyang/Rokinon if you must have new-build.

---------- Post added 23-09-15 at 13:52 ----------

We lament more than merely the ageing and death of several tens of thousands of Japanese company men (and their American counterparts).
Agreed - it's what their passing represents.
09-24-2015, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Ad from Pop Photo 2002 shows the Nikon FM3A ($489.95) not much more than the currently selling Nikon FM2 ($429.95).

Obviously the interest only applies to folks who actually use film . . . still . . .
What you need is a time machine to go back to 2002 and see if you really, really could buy those cameras and lenses at those prices. The mail order listings were notorious for "bait and switch" tactics that are actually illegal here in Canada. I remember trying to get an item at the actual as advertised price from several of the mail order listers back in 1999. The usual cock-and-bull story was that the advertised item was a cheaper "Chinese made" item, and wouldn't I rather have the proper Japanese made lens for $50 more, etc, etc? I actually got one store to take my order, and after waiting several weeks and seeing nothing in the mail, I called back (but I wasn't allowed to use the toll-free number for order inquiries) and was told "oh no, that lens is on back order" despite having been told they had had it in stock. I cancelled the order (fortunately, they never billed my credit card) and was eventually successful at finding the lens at a local store in the next city over. Yes, it cost 30% more than New York, but at least it was real and existed.
But as a regular Nikon dealer back in those days, the FM2 bowed out at around $750 - and the FM3a arrived at a bit more than $1,100. The Canadian dollar was worth about 70 cents US or less at the time. To be fair, the FM3a was a good bit more refined and had new features.
At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if Pentax could give us a new LX2 for less than $2,000 - and that would tie up development resources that would best be put into new digital products that would sell 100x better.
I'm still miffed that Pentax put millions into developing the 645D - a fabulous camera, but one few have ever seen, and does almost nothing for the Pentax brand in the larger marketplace. What if Pentax had brought out the FF camera back then, and waited until 2016 before going 645?
09-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if Pentax could give us a new LX2 for less than $2,000 - and that would tie up development resources that would best be put into new digital products that would sell 100x better.
All this is why the title of this thread begins with the word HYPOTHETICAL.
09-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #58

I would buy at least two, to switch between ISOs or colour and black/white.
In the last months I used my DSLR almost exclusively to "scan" negatives.

In the beginning I planned to shoot both digital and film. But since my wife stayed with digital, there is no point for me to bring the DSLR with me.
09-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
But as a regular Nikon dealer back in those days, the FM2 bowed out at around $750 - and the FM3a arrived at a bit more than $1,100. The Canadian dollar was worth about 70 cents US or less at the time. To be fair, the FM3a was a good bit more refined and had new features.
The background story on the FM3A was very interesting - not only because it was releasing a manual film camera in the "digital age", but also because it involved keeping people who were retiring because they were the only ones who knew about designing such a camera when it came to the metering and even the leather fabrication.

BTW, I am of the opinion that we don't need another best selling digi something . . .
09-24-2015, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Promillo Quote
I would buy at least two, to switch between ISOs or colour and black/white.
Don't spill the beans on me, but (since my wife accidentally threw out my battery chargers) I have 3 film cameras, a 28, a 43 and an 85 in my bag.

I thought I was nuts.