Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cosina hasn't brought out any new film cameras this decade,
and Kobayashi-san isn't getting any younger...

Chris

09-25-2015, 03:39 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Cosina hasn't brought out any new film cameras this decade,
and Kobayashi-san isn't getting any younger...

Chris
But unlike the other manufacturers they are still making mechanical cameras and manual lenses as bread and butter products.

The Nikon F6 is mainly electronic and even has a LCD chimp back plate (film door).
If you wanted Cosina to make a modern K1000, the first problem in the miniature differential galvanometer.
And Cosina have not made a four post Barnack style mechanical timed shutter in a while.
Sover Wong says if you Nikon F2 shutter needs replacing buy another body.

Instead doing a clone of a FM10 in K mount would be easy, ie cheap,

The last K1000 I bought was uber cheap and Mint+++ with foam... There is no market?
09-25-2015, 06:39 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Instead doing a clone of a FM10 in K mount would be easy, ie cheap,

The last K1000 I bought was uber cheap and Mint+++ with foam... There is no market?
The uber expensive Leica MP has essentially the same specs as the K1000. Perhaps the market is not looking for something cheap?
09-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The uber expensive Leica MP has essentially the same specs as the K1000. Perhaps the market is not looking for something cheap?
Do you think hipsters would pay Leicabucks for a Pentax?

I don't.

09-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"I said to the Lorax, you poor stupid guy. You never can tell what some people will buy." - Dr Seuss.

Give me an MX with a match-needle meter and an M42 mount. A mini-me to the Spotmatic, if you will.
09-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I don't.
I have no idea what hipsters will or will not pay for but as pointed out there are already many cheap items available for those that are in the market for it. The speculation of $2000 for this hypothetical Pentax would still be below half the Leica MP.
09-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have no idea what hipsters will or will not pay for
If you sold them a Spotmatic SL, you could point to the (obligatory!!) battery-independence as an environmentally friendly "green" feature. Sure, there's the subsequent requirement to use their judgement and fly by the seat of their pants as regards exposure, but you could sell them on that too, on the grounds of "reconnecting with what it really means to be a photographer". And if they really wanted to get fancy, it shouldn't be too hard to develop a retro-styled compatible clip-on light meter (reverse engineering existing versions) whose CdS cell was big enough to satisfy its power requirements.

09-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you sold them a Spotmatic SL, you could point to the (obligatory!!) battery-independence as an environmentally friendly "green" feature. Sure, there's the subsequent requirement to use their judgement and fly by the seat of their pants as regards exposure, but you could sell them on that too, on the grounds of "reconnecting with what it really means to be a photographer". And if they really wanted to get fancy, it shouldn't be too hard to develop a retro-styled compatible clip-on light meter (reverse engineering existing versions) whose CdS cell was big enough to satisfy its power requirements.
You may be right but I haven't even met one hipster.If they are using film then I like them already . . .

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Well yes... because in the land of unicorns, they are still making film cameras
I think that train is long gone... even hypothetical...
If we are thinking, then what is long gone is anything else but a smart phone camera . . .
09-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Leica have been making M7s for a while the MP is a minor variant. A low volume start up would be more expensive!
09-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Leica have been making M7s for a while the MP is a minor variant. A low volume start up would be more expensive!
Like I said, there are already many cheap in the market. We don't need to cheapen it anymore than it already is.
09-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may be right but I haven't even met one hipster.If they are using film then I like them already . . .
if what I see visiting my daughters in New York or DC is indicative, many of these goofballs merely wear an old Leica like its a 50's Hermes handbag.
09-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if what I see visiting my daughters in New York or DC is indicative, many of these goofballs merely wear an old Leica like its a 50's Hermes handbag.
Lenny Kravitz edition?
09-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disheartening news today

An update to my last post:

Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - All Voigtlander Film Cameras Sadly Discontinued

Oh well, there goes the possibility of a new film Pentax...

Chris
09-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sucks.
09-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
An update to my last post:

Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - All Voigtlander Film Cameras Sadly Discontinued

Oh well, there goes the possibility of a new film Pentax...

Chris

But they ae still making the FM10 for Nikon and a K series...