Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Children of the digital age, LOL.

So this morning I took a picture of the kids with my new (to me) Spotmatic, and Miss Four wanted to see the picture - and who can blame her, when she's grown up around my K-5?

I told her no, this is one of my film cameras (she already knows what those are), and Master Six (who knows equally well, since I've let him help me load and unload one) said the immortal words:

"You have to take it out and download the film."

Which, considering he never has seen and probably never will see a rapid-process (film) photo lab, is not too bad for that age!

I must try to show them one, next time we're in a big city.

09-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Forum Member

Good one! But, who can blame him? You´re a dinosaur!
09-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ukhozi Quote
Good one! But, who can blame him? You´re a dinosaur!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
09-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Not at all!

I qualify as a dinosaur myself in many (old fashioned) ways. Just the other day I gave a telephone book to a kid to look up a number. You should have seen that puzzeled look. Ended up in explaining that all the names are in alphabetical order.

09-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My wife sometimes calls me a refugee from the fifties, but there are certain photographic luxuries (on-board metering with linked stop-down, for example) I'm not ready to give up yet. It's still the sixties for me, although some of my slide rules are probably older than all of my cameras and lenses.
10-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yup good to know I am not the only one that happens to. What is really confusing is they don't notice the difference with say my MX or my K-01 :-)

I just purchased an K-S2 but will be shooting it 'film style' with the lcd hidden so I can play even more games with them!
10-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.

10-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Moved to proper area.
Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure what area to put it in - I intended it as a general commentary and it could have gone in either the DSLR or the film sections, so I went for a more nonspecific approach.
10-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Yup good to know I am not the only one that happens to. What is really confusing is they don't notice the difference with say my MX or my K-01 :-)
I've had my nephew do similar to me when I was shooting with my Kiev. Then had to explain film to him, as he'd never encountered it.

(Also had a woman the other day who was very worried that I had taken her photo and who wanted me to delete it. That took a bit of explaining to calm her down, as when I told her that I couldn't delete it even if she was in the photo -- she wasn't -- she wanted me to prove that I hadn't taken a photo of her.)

Last edited by g026r; 10-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
10-02-2015, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the 1950s I remember a kid at school got his first camera (likely a Kodak Brownie with 127 film), and told how he loaded the film, went out and took a picture, then opened the camera and tried to strip off the paper to find the picture. That was due to all the TV ads for the then new Polaroid with the strip-apart film.
So the Polaroid generation wasn't much different...
10-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
and told how he loaded the film, went out and took a picture, then opened the camera and tried to strip off the paper to find the picture. That was due to all the TV ads for the then new Polaroid with the strip-apart film.
*facepalm* Did it not enter his head that that wasn't the sort of camera he was using?

It's going to confuse the hell out of my kids that in all likelihood the next "new" camera I bring home will be the full-frame, and then they won't ask to see the pic because they'll think it's another film body. That'll serve me right!
10-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
*facepalm* Did it not enter his head that that wasn't the sort of camera he was using?
Well, as I recall he was 6 or 7 at the time...
10-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

I introduced my 8 year old godson to my K1000 and mentioned that the pictures would be in black and white. He exlaimed "Black and white! Really?", grabbed the camera and looked through the viewfinder incredulously.