Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does CVS know how to push and pull process?

just wondering if anyone knows if the techs at CVS are trained in how to push and pull c41 films?

06-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
just wondering if anyone knows if the techs at CVS are trained in how to push and pull c41 films?
That is who I normally use. I think it is like anything else, it comes down to people.
I would say that 90% of the time I am happy with my local cvs.
06-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
awesome to hear.. i also have to check my local grocer's ability, as well (they generally do good work, too)
06-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt that they are. My reasoning is that 99% of the people who use CVS for film processing don't know what push processing is, so why train the techs to do it? In fact, I'm not even sure the equipment has the capability to do it.

It doesn't hurt to ask though. If you get the 'deer in the headlights look' you'll know the answer is no.

06-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The C-41 process is what is called a develop to completion process. There is little or nothing to be gained by push processing the stuff, as all you do is increase the mask density.
The old Kodak Ektapress films could be pushed a little bit with some success, but I was never able to get more than about a half stop out of them.

My background in this is 30 years of working in the photoprocessing business, I have tested pushing C-41 film and measuring the response with a densitometer. You may see a slight increase in midtone densities, but you won't get enough shadow density increase to be worthwhile.
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The C-41 process is what is called a develop to completion process. There is little or nothing to be gained by push processing the stuff, as all you do is increase the mask density.
The old Kodak Ektapress films could be pushed a little bit with some success, but I was never able to get more than about a half stop out of them.

My background in this is 30 years of working in the photoprocessing business, I have tested pushing C-41 film and measuring the response with a densitometer. You may see a slight increase in midtone densities, but you won't get enough shadow density increase to be worthwhile.
a lot of people say that xp2 and BW400cn can both be pushed and pulled to achieve good results. the xp2 doesn't need altered developing, but someone recommended shooting BW400CN at 1000 iso, and developing at 1600. i was just simply going to test this out, and see if i like it
06-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

a lot of people say that xp2 and BW400cn can both be pushed and pulled to achieve good results. the xp2 doesn't need altered developing, but someone recommended shooting BW400CN at 1000 iso, and developing at 1600. i was just simply going to test this out, and see if i like it
XP-2 doesn't have a mask, and might be the exception to the rule. BW400CN does have a mask, and won't show much speed increase, no matter how long it sits in the developer. You might get a little more shadow detail from ~Zone III and above, but this isn't a speed increase, merely a change in that part of the characteristic curve.
BW400CN has just about the worst dark fading that I have ever seen, don't expect it to hold onto an image for more than a few years before it starts to fade.

06-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They normally do not
06-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although it has been a long time, the best color process I knew for push processing was Ektachrome (E-6) I ran this regularly 1-2 stops pushed in the 1980's. I had a local lab to do the processing.

For B&W I used Tri-X400 and pushed this 3 stops (this I did myself)
06-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about your CVS but at the one near my house, but I don't want the people they have behind the counter messing with my film other than to just put it in the machine. They have one woman who is so slow, I swear it must take her 3 hours to do 1 hour processing. I only use them for test rolls of film through a new (old) camera.

CW
06-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
XP-2 doesn't have a mask, and might be the exception to the rule. BW400CN does have a mask, and won't show much speed increase, no matter how long it sits in the developer. You might get a little more shadow detail from ~Zone III and above, but this isn't a speed increase, merely a change in that part of the characteristic curve.
BW400CN has just about the worst dark fading that I have ever seen, don't expect it to hold onto an image for more than a few years before it starts to fade.
Thanks for all the great information, Wheatfeild. When I worked at a little photo hut about 10 years ago (I was in diapers, obviously ) I didn't know what the terms push and pull even meant. It was all just intimidating darkroom talk to me so I double that the folks at your local CVS are well versed either -- but it sounds from what Wheatfeild is saying like there's no need to unless you're using XP2.

BTW - I know this sounds bizarre, but while we're vaguely on the topic of XP2, I very much believe you can use standard black & white chemistry to develop it as well and push and pull at will. I believe this because I accidentally did it once and the results were wonderful.