Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
''HELP''...with streak in film

Hi Folks.
As I picked up my last roll of film from CVS, I noticed this ugly line 3/4 of the way down. My question is this. Could this be the film? or the camera? or CVS?
The previous roll, came out good. no line.
If it matters, this is the Kodak Hi def pro film. Any Ideas?

Last edited by jgredline; 06-23-2008 at 12:54 PM.
06-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a scratch. If you camera has not done this before, I would suspect the developer (CSV?). Run another role, and have it developed somewhere else.

If you get the same result (another line), then suspect the camera.
06-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Looks like dust on the rollers of the developing machine. Were these on the prints, if any, or just on the film?
06-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would tend to agree with the two posts above. This is why, after years of hunting around, I am glad to have found Specialty Color Services. They use the traditional dip-and-dunk method for developing. My first roll was both scratch- and spot-free--amazing for 2008. Scratched film during processing is the bane of the contemporary film shooter.

06-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an easy way to tell who to blame (camera or lab).

Every lab, no matter if pro or consumer, is obligated to return the complete negative, including the leading tab and tfhe end of the roll (spool take up).

Check the end side of the negative (spool side), after the last frame and get a close look at the very end, where the spool holds.

If the sratch in the negative STOPS a about half inch or longer from the real end of the film, then your camera is to blame (it can also be a dust particle trapped in the cartridge felt lips). If the scratch goes all the way, then the lab is to blame.

This is because all the film, EXCEPT for the last 1/2 inch, goes into the camera's film rails and take up spool.

Hope this helps.

Remember also, that fresh DRY film is not as easy to scratch as WET FILM. Also, check on which side of the film is the scratch (base or emulsion). From the samples, looks like its on the emulsion side, but can be either.

RB
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Folks.
Thanks for the advice. I found the culprit. ''CVS''...I just scanned one of the negatives and problem solved. Who ever scanned my negatives on to the CD Rom simply messed up or did not bother to check or simply did not care. I am glad it is not my camera. I will be doing my own processing from now on. I keep threatening to do it, but it is time....

Last edited by jgredline; 06-23-2008 at 12:54 PM.
06-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

So the scratch WAS NOT ON THE NEGATIVE. That is a relief. In this case, CVS's scanner has a "hot pixel problem". Film scanners do not use regular CMOS or CCD's to scan. They use a "line scan pick sensor" that moves across the film (or with the help of moving mirror and/or lens).

Glad you could pinpoint the culprit, and better yet, that no harm was done (except for a useless photo cd?).

RB

06-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
So the scratch WAS NOT ON THE NEGATIVE. That is a relief. In this case, CVS's scanner has a "hot pixel problem". Film scanners do not use regular CMOS or CCD's to scan. They use a "line scan pick sensor" that moves across the film (or with the help of moving mirror and/or lens).

Glad you could pinpoint the culprit, and better yet, that no harm was done (except for a useless photo cd?).

RB
Note some home scanners also have the same problem putting linear artifacts onto the scans.

One thing you should do is take the neg's back to them and have them re-scanned, after showing the scan you made
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Note some home scanners also have the same problem putting linear artifacts onto the scans.

One thing you should do is take the neg's back to them and have them re-scanned, after showing the scan you made
Yep, I doing that this evening.
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice that you figured out the problem. IMHO your scan looks better anyway. I've given up on the local film developers scans and prints. I only have them develop the negatives, and I'll take care of the rest. As it turns out most of my film shots were not as bad as I initially thought. It was just that the scans and prints that they did were that bad.
06-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Scratch apart....

Great photos
11-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Folks.
Thanks for the advice. I found the culprit. ''CVS''...I just scanned one of the negatives and problem solved. Who ever scanned my negatives on to the CD Rom simply messed up or did not bother to check or simply did not care. I am glad it is not my camera. I will be doing my own processing from now on. I keep threatening to do it, but it is time....
Your own development looks a whole lot better than the one from the lap, (and this is apart from the scratch).
11-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

RB

We also used to see that if there was a piece of dust on the scanner cover glass.
The scanner head on a printer is stationary. The film is moved across the scanner.
11-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I assume the scratch is visible in the film emulsion (probable) or on the glossy side when you inspect it.These types of scratches are usually caused by grit of some sort in the film path. Traditionally, we would look at the canister and the film feed mechanism for the culprit. As this is color, I don't imagine that you are reusing the canisters so let's hope that's all it is. I'd suggest you clean off the pressure plate and take up roller with a rocket blower. A visual inspection of the pressure plate is also a good idea.

As I assume these are scanned for you by the processor, it is also possible that the film feed mechanism in the developing machine or the scanner are contaminated. Most of the feed is done by the perfs on the edge of the film so, in my opinion, this is less likely.

A manufacturing defect is also a possibility. If that's the case then the problem will likely appear in an entire film lot.

If the problem recurs after cleaning the inside of the camera, I'd suggest testing with another lab and a different film type to start isolating the cause.

Frustrating as it is, the upside is that it appears that these images are salvageable in post if you want to put the work in. I've had slides and negatives in far worse shape from my archives!

Good luck with it.

Dave
11-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Hello,

I have encountered a different problem. The worker from the lab told me that the film was the problem being ruined by the factory (?)

and a crop

Now, I used the camera with another film and everything was ok but loading the third film and a different film (the first one was a Fuji X-TRA Superia 400) , a Ilford XP2 400 I encountered the same problem even worst. I used the same lab all three times.

What could be the problem: the lab , the film or the camera ?

Thank you very much.