Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film Processing

Hello everyone. I am new to film and am looking for help processing film. I am using Ilford BW 3200 film, but would like to try other types of color and bw film.

I don't know if my walmart/walgreens/cvs photo labs are good for processing film. Would you say to use these kinds of labs or should I send them off in the mail to a professional lab. Where should I send my film?

I am in the USA so any local lab would be great!

10-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can check here to see if there are any Harman Local Darkrooms near your location:
Welcome to Local Dark Room by HARMAN technology Limited
10-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The word is that Walmart, if they process film at all, does not return the negatives. They send a medium-low resolution scan on CD.

None of the one hour photo processors will do true B & W film at all. If they process color print film, they can process the chromogenic B & W, which uses standard C41 processing.

There are only two ways to process true B & W film: do it yourself (its easy), or find a brick and mortar camera store that can/will do it for you. None of the drugstore/discount stores can do it.
10-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a local pro lab, here in Iowa City Iowa. Maybe you have one where you live. Giving USA as a location is pretty broad.

Also, Dwaynes Photo is one of the best mail order labs left standing. I recommend them.

10-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You can mail it in to The Darkroom or to BlueMoon, both online.
10-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just found these guys! Digital Scans and Developing is $8.00!!!! Store Locations |
10-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Perhaps say what state/city you live in. Maybe someone knows a nearby lab. I'd say the lab criteria you should be looking for is high quality scans and they give you editable files in 16 bit BW or 48 bit color. Icing on the cake would all be in the Pro Photo RGB color space for maximum editing capability.
10-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Check out Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas. They have B&W services and do extensive mail order developing.

10-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dwayne's is good. I often use them for color, but B&W processing is so easy and fast I've gone back to doing my own. My darkroom had to covert back to a guest bath for several months, but film is easy to do with a changing bag, daylight tank, and scanner. (I prefer to enlarge real wet prints, but that's waiting again for the darkroom return.)
10-08-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Dwayne's is good. I often use them for color, but B&W processing is so easy and fast I've gone back to doing my own. My darkroom had to covert back to a guest bath for several months, but film is easy to do with a changing bag, daylight tank, and scanner. (I prefer to enlarge real wet prints, but that's waiting again for the darkroom return.)
You are lucky I've always needed to use bedroom with hardboard, Velcro, heavy drapes, night time and safelight in normal fittings for dry printing and print tube for wet room in bathroom.
No trouble doing cibachrome back then aeons ago.
10-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Another vote for Dwayne's for mail-order. I've had some problems with them in the past, but if you're just getting started I'd say they're definitely the best bang-per-buck... North Coast Photographic is excellent but costs a bit more. Blue Moon is good but very expensive and I've heard good things about Darkroom (mentioned above) but have never used them.
Personally I too use a local lab, hopefully for the foreseeable future, but there are certainly good mail-order options.

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 08:24 PM ----------

Another good one I've heard about is Citizens Photo in Portland OR... I've never used them but have wanted to - but keep disallowing myself to do mail order for as long as I'm getting good results from my local lab. Citizens is the cheapest I've seen by far for develop-only processing. Curious to hear if anyone here has used them and has opinions.

Last edited by chickentender; 10-11-2015 at 08:25 PM.