10-10-2015, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak Medalist II with FP4+

Why?
No batteries necessary
Extra-sharp 100mm Ektar lens
Its rangefinder mechanism could prove useful for surveying the island
Large, heavy, and built to military specifications, it could also be used as a hammer, war-club, or raft ballast
It's 6x9 negative can be contact-printed using alternative processes, like albumen prints from Loon eggs.

Last edited by AquaDome; 10-10-2015 at 09:53 AM.
10-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

If you had to choose just one of your film cameras, any brand, any format - and I do mean JUST ONE - which would it be? And why?
What a terrible thing to contemplate

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 10:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Kodak Medalist II with FP4+

Why?
No batteries necessary
Extra-sharp 100mm Ektar lens
Its rangefinder mechanism could prove useful for surveying the island
Large, heavy, and built to military specifications, it could also be used as a hammer, war-club, or raft ballast
It's 6x9 negative can be contact-printed using alternative processes, like albumen prints from Loon eggs.
I like your style!
10-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

A tough question for sure. My choice, the Leicaflex SL2 35mm SLR. Built like a tank, reliable and a spot meter that doesn't become inaccurate over time. This was the last hand built SLR made by Leica. The lens line for it was stellar. The Pentax 67 is a close second though.
10-10-2015, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Asahi SV and ST 55/1.8.

It would be difficult to leave the KX'es and SMC lenses behind, but . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 10-10-2015 at 04:22 PM.
10-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
What a terrible thing to contemplate
It is a bit morbid, isn't it?
10-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only one

Here is a piece of heresy for you, apologizing in advance, but anyway: Old original F1 with my FL 55 mm f 1.2, no batteries, just a big heavy piece of use-it-anywhere camera with the film you prefer. Just to keep from insulting you and my K-3 and three amigos, I will not mention the brand name!
10-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Here is a piece of heresy for you, apologizing in advance, but anyway: Old original F1 with my FL 55 mm f 1.2, no batteries, just a big heavy piece of use-it-anywhere camera with the film you prefer. Just to keep from insulting you and my K-3 and three amigos, I will not mention the brand name!
I find it difficult to believe anyone here would truly fault you for that choice.
10-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
MZ-S

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I find it difficult to believe anyone here would truly fault you for that choice.
Well, I don't want to forget my MZ-S with battery grip, maybe with the 77 mm limited lens. It is battery dependent, but has all the conveniences iof the digital age, and I am not embarassed to say the brand, Pentax.

10-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I'm surprised at the number of respondents naming the KX! That's the only film camera I own, so I guess that gets my vote too. I only wish that it had a little grip to wrap my fingers around.
10-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm surprised at the number of respondents naming the KX! That's the only film camera I own, so I guess that gets my vote too. I only wish that it had a little grip to wrap my fingers around.
I've found that putting on one of those DSLR handstraps (the type that attach to the right-hand strap lug at top and to tripod mount at bottom) really improve handling/confidence for me on the more "flat' SLR bodies like the KX.
10-10-2015, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I've only had my KX for a year and a half or so, but it jumped to the head of the class quickly. If you only have one film camera, I'd say you picked a good one.
10-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be honest on a desert island without batteries there is no much difference between a KX and a KM (or a Spottie), while if batteries are available a K2DMD or a LX is a much better choice IMO.
10-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
To be honest on a desert island without batteries there is no much difference between a KX and a KM (or a Spottie), while if batteries are available a K2DMD or a LX is a much better choice IMO.
I have a K2 that I like very much. Other than the obvious ability to have a motor drive, is the DMD significantly different than a standard K2? I'd like to try a DMD, but they seem scarce and priced accordingly.
10-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I have a K2 that I like very much. Other than the obvious ability to have a motor drive, is the DMD significantly different than a standard K2? I'd like to try a DMD, but they seem scarce and priced accordingly.

I have all five K bodies and while the K2 is already an excellent camera the DMD has some refinements that makes more alike a LX, it has the lens aperture window (like the KX, and one of the reasons why the K2 is considered "inferior" to the lesser model), AE priority lock (not even the LX has it), a split screen, a flag inside the finder when you under or overexpose (like the LX) and the finder blind...in short it's a pro camera like a F3 or a Canon F-1N besides the lack of interchangeble finders and screens.

Unfortunately the cost was prohibitive (more than a Nikon F2 if I remember correctly) so it was soon discontinued and now it is worth quite a lot of money, so I would say yes if you can get one at decent price go for it, the building quality feels even better than the LX....and like the LX it is capable of extremely long exposure times in auto mode (I measured 35 minutes, but perhaps it can do better, Les can answer to that) even if it does not follow any lightning changes unlike its heir.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-10-2015 at 04:24 PM.
10-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #30

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a K2 discussion.

So: my vote for the KX stands, but if I can get my hands on a K2 DMD, I may resurrect this thread and change my answer.