Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
...selfies in the caves off the beach...
I might have to change mine then, it's hard doing selfies with the minimum-focus on a rangefinder

10-17-2015, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Such a digficult choice
In terms of dream options:
A Graflex Speed Graphic with an aero ektar 175 and 6x9 roll film back would top my list without question.

In terms of 135 format options the nikkor FM2 with a zeiss 35/1.4 would top my list.

Of the cameras I own though,
I'd go with a pentax 67 and 105/2.4
11-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #48
gma

My first camera, bought at the age of 11 was my K1000. If I had to sell all but one, I'd keep that one, and so if it was a one way trip – K1000.

If I might return home in a few year's time (to be reunited with the K1000) I'd take my SV. Quite apart from there being no such thing as a battery fairy (the SV has no built in meter), I'd enjoy shooting close ups of the local wildlife, and my Takumar macro would get plenty of action. Best to use it on an M42 body, and the SV is my prettiest. And it has a self timer…
11-20-2015, 02:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i would bring my LX to the island, with SMC 35mm f2, or may I bring more lenses?

developing film could pose a problem. And posting the images here in PF even a bigger challenge. So I would need power, Internett access, darkroom, chemicals and a computer, as well as a scanner. A refrigerator with food, beer and film is also a must. hm.

11-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I own two SLR film cameras, my KX purchased around 1997, and a Canon of some kind from the late '80s. My choice is the KX with zero hesitation. It is a camera I'll always love - nothing fancy or pretentious - what you see is what you get, simple and reliable match-needle exposure control, good viewfinder, DOF preview, delay timer and a shutter release button. A great example of the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle.
I'd also go with the KX due to it's simplicity, tank like construction and, well, sentimental value.Also, if I only had the choice of 1 lens, it would definitely be the K 30/2.8
11-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #51
Forum Member

I still think the MZ-S was the best film camera Pentax ever made. I sold mine years ago and I wish I'd kept it. If I could buy another, brand new, I would. And I'd pair it with the 43mm Limited, my favorite Pentax lens.
11-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #52
Pentaxian

My Hasselblad 500 C/M ; does not use batteries, is my favourite camera to use, big enough to use for protection and if you view a ship in the far horizon a couple of quick shots taken with the Hasselblad will get their attention simply by the noise it makes.

Of the cameras I have access to perhaps the Fuji GX680: it creates huge negatives and one could take the film magazine off and have an instant shelter from the elements.

11-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
My Hasselblad 500 C/M ; does not use batteries, is my favourite camera to use, big enough to use for protection and if you view a ship in the far horizon a couple of quick shots taken with the Hasselblad will get their attention simply by the noise it makes.
Clearly you've never heard the canon fire that is the shutter action of a Pentax67.

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
I still think the MZ-S was the best film camera Pentax ever made. I sold mine years ago and I wish I'd kept it. If I could buy another, brand new, I would. And I'd pair it with the 43mm Limited, my favorite Pentax lens.
My MZ-3 paired with the 43 is a truly a tiny little auto-menace.
11-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #54
Pentaxian

It's a hard choice for me now...

1) Ricoh XR-1 - match-needle system and aperture viewing window, DOF preview, and AFAIK fully mechanical shutter. Sizeable.

2) Pentax MX - lovely, small and handy. Rotating shutter speed indicator in viewfinder and aperture viewing window. LED exposure indicator for on-exposure, half-stop either way and over/under is easy to see when the light is not good, but is battery dependent, while the camera is otherwise not.

I love my MX, but I have to concede that with bigger lenses and in a battery-less situation the Ricoh may have an ergonomic edge. Also I believe its shutter is metal rather than cloth, so that might give it an advantage too.
11-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Clearly you've never heard the canon fire that is the shutter action of a Pentax67.

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 11:14 AM ----------

My MZ-3 paired with the 43 is a truly a tiny little auto-menace.
The point is to get the ship's attention not knock it out of the water.
11-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The point is to get the ship's attention not knock it out of the water.
Touche'
11-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correction...

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I own two SLR film cameras, my KX purchased around 1997, and a Canon of some kind from the late '80s. My choice is the KX with zero hesitation. It is a camera I'll always love - nothing fancy or pretentious - what you see is what you get, simple and reliable match-needle exposure control, good viewfinder, DOF preview, delay timer and a shutter release button. A great example of the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle.
I now have noticed a mistake from my previous post quoted above...I purchased my KX around 1977 (not 1997). Only off by a couple decades .
11-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm surprised at the number of respondents naming the KX! That's the only film camera I own, so I guess that gets my vote too. I only wish that it had a little grip to wrap my fingers around.
Upon further review, and upon further acquisition, I now think the Super Program is my favorite film camera. I still have the KX (which is for sale now), and I still think it's a nice camera, but man holding it for very long hurts my hand. It needs a grip! The SP has a nicely contoured thumbgrip, and with the finger grip on the front is nearly ergonomically perfect for me. I also like having an aperture priority automatic mode, and the button controls turn out to be a little easier to use one-handed than the top dial when in M. So, if I can change my vote, let me trade in my KX for an SP!
11-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Upon further review, and upon further acquisition, I now think the Super Program is my favorite film camera. I still have the KX (which is for sale now), and I still think it's a nice camera, but man holding it for very long hurts my hand. It needs a grip! The SP has a nicely contoured thumbgrip, and with the finger grip on the front is nearly ergonomically perfect for me. I also like having an aperture priority automatic mode, and the button controls turn out to be a little easier to use one-handed than the top dial when in M. So, if I can change my vote, let me trade in my KX for an SP!
I just really didn't care for that camera - at least mine. I got fed up with it finally and included it in the package I sent to Eric to have my LX CLA'd a couple months ago and told him to keep it for parts. He gladly did.
01-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #60

Desert Island? If I can send it off to Eric for repairs, Pentax LX. If not, probably Topcon Super D, since it's the closest thing to "eternal," and the lenses are also great.