Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2015, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Desert Island....hmmnn. Reliable, durable, no need for batteries.

I have the camera, for this assignment.

It's my '68 Pentax S1a, which I bought new in...1968. No meter, no battery, strictly mechanical. Reliable, durable....still works after almost 48 years. I also have a selenium Sekonic light meter that I bought with the S1a. It has no battery, still works.

BTW, it has a Takumar...55mm (I think) F2 lens. Came with the camera.

10-10-2015, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Leica M2 (or MA, if I was going to buy something for this 'desert island') - it's simple, beautifully put together, a joy to use, and does everything I need out of a camera without getting in the way.

If it had to be an SLR, probably an LX
10-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Leica M2 (or MA, if I was going to buy something for this 'desert island') - it's simple, beautifully put together, a joy to use, and does everything I need out of a camera without getting in the way.

I forgot about my old (1952) Leica 11f with it's 50mm collapsible F 3.5, 50mm Elmar lens. I've had it since around 1982, still works and I can use my old battery-less Sekonic,selenium powered light meter.

Then there's my old Mamiya twin lens reflex, medium format camera, with it's 80 mm Mamiya-Sekor normal lens.

I..... like many an oldster have a whole pile of non electronic, non battery powered cameras which would work well in rugged, isolated situations....like the OP's aforementioned desert isle.
10-11-2015, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it can be any camera - not just one I have - with any film - I will take a 6x7 with a Polaroid back and plenty of film. Then I can enjoy my shots while waiting to be rescued. And carrying the camera will make me strong enough to survive.

10-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I forgot about my old (1952) Leica 11f with it's 50mm collapsible F 3.5, 50mm Elmar lens. I've had it since around 1982, still works and I can use my old battery-less Sekonic,selenium powered light meter.

Then there's my old Mamiya twin lens reflex, medium format camera, with it's 80 mm Mamiya-Sekor normal lens.

I..... like many an oldster have a whole pile of non electronic, non battery powered cameras which would work well in rugged, isolated situations....like the OP's aforementioned desert isle.
Ahh, so yes, you have options... Which one is it?

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 03:37 PM ----------

We're of similar minds.
10-12-2015, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX was my first Pentax.
I've tried a dozen Pentax models since.
The KX is still my favorite...

Chris
10-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The KX was my first Pentax.
I've tried a dozen Pentax models since.
The KX is still my favorite...

Chris
I gave mine to my father last year. Was the closest thing I had to his old Nikkormat which was stolen. Better even. He loves it. (Though the film shaft is just slightly bent and as a result of him using it more than I ever did, the rewind knob-cap came loose and fell of in the woods two weeks ago. He's trying to source another on Ebay, preferably with the shaft so this doesn't happen again. Expensive little buggers on the 'Bay. Do the earlier K-1000 use the same part for that? a bit off-topic but since we're KX talking...)

10-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ahh, so yes, you have options... Which one is it?

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 03:37 PM ----------

We're of similar minds.
Probably my old Leica rangefinder, with the Pentax S1a not far behind. But both will need my old, hand held Sekonic light meter.
10-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #39

P30N, paired with the 43mm Ltd. it may not look real cool, and the risk of cracking plastic in the desert island heat is high, but it's never let me down, great for quick street shots, and does some of the work if you need it to.
10-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

There is, I hear, a fully mechanical Ricoh with the meter entirely solar powered. That might be worth consideration. As for the P30 series, that one has an interesting and annoying failure mode which leaves you unable to advance the film (the advance lever shears off the internal spindle). Otherwise my favourite Pentax film camera, narrowly edging out the ME (which is small and neat, but gets a bit awkward with larger lenses and sometimes needs the manual controls it lacks) and the Spotmatic (which can't accept K mount lenses, but I knew that when I started and I have enough to get by).
10-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
But both will need my old, hand held Sekonic light meter.
Meh, it's always sunny 16 on a desert island
10-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meh, it's always sunny 16 on a desert island
Campfire photos, star gazing, milky way, palm tree against the moon with the shining sea reflections, sunrise, sunset, rare flower blossoms in the rain forest like jungle interior, selfies in the caves off the beach...
10-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I'd have to go with my mamiya c33 with the standard 80mm 2.8 lens. I could do everything from macros to landscapes with this combo. all with no betteries. I'd take it loaded with Fuji acros and be set.
10-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Campfire photos, star gazing, milky way, palm tree against the moon with the shining sea reflections, sunrise, sunset, rare flower blossoms in the rain forest like jungle interior, selfies in the caves off the beach...
You're describing my place in FNQ now. I pine for the 4 seasons - the occasional rain all through the year, the overcast days, the colour of the turning leaves, morning walks on frosty paths, red cheeks and noses and silence of a snow covered landscape.

Grass is always greener...
10-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #45

6x7 with the 105