Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Could be bad scans, or light fogged at the lab (because it's so uniform).

10-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #17

Original Poster
Got the negatives back. The first half-dozen frames look to be exposed more or less correctly. All were afternoon shots, sun at my back.

The next several, all taken at the same place, from mid-morning to noon, overhead sun, were all overexposed to varying degrees. The elephant photo I posted earlier is from that batch. Some were worse, some about the same.

The shots after that were taken at various times, mostly afternoon, and are exposed correctly.

It seems to me that one of two things happened: either my light meter temporarily went haywire, or my shutter speed is off at around 1/250 or 1/500, which is where most of the overexposed shots were taken.

Sound reasonable?
10-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the lens filter flare theory made sense. Particularly in overhead sunlight without a hood.
10-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The filter may need cleaning. Since I had a UV filter on my Takumar 50mm f4 macro lens I didn't bother with the lens cap. However I noticed that when I was shooting back-lit subjects the contrast would go way down vs with light behind me or using a macro flash. I cleaned the filter and everything was fine. It had picked up a slight haze probably from air pollution.

10-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #20

Original Poster
The dirty filter idea could have merit. Thinking of driving into the sun with a dirty windshield, I could see the same sort of effect in these shots. It doesn't look dirty, of course, but it could be environmental haze. I'll give it a cleaning and see what happens.
10-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You need to look at the neg

Bad flare will have silver in all the shadows
Normal shots will have some zone0 clear film shadows

Lens hoods are not optional if the yellow ball gets into a lens...

Generic rubber allows a drop unto concrete if you are lucky!