Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
winding it up - begin again

Well... I did it. For the first time in more than 20 years I'll be winding film. I've a winder, 10 canisters and a 100ft bulk roll of HP5+ enroute to me as of tomorrow morning.
Oh dear....

10-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What bulk loader did you get?

I have two (2!) older bakelite Watson loaders that I will never sell...too hard to replace!

Steve
10-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What bulk loader did you get?
Got a new one - Lloyd bulk loader. Probably could've/should've gotten a used one of the 'Bay but this was an impulse buy while I was ordering some film from B&H.
10-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Got a new one - Lloyd bulk loader. Probably could've/should've gotten a used one of the 'Bay but this was an impulse buy while I was ordering some film from B&H.
I used a Lloyd in high school, but not since. I am surprised we can still buy that stuff.

Steve

10-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well... I did it. For the first time in more than 20 years I'll be winding film. I've a winder, 10 canisters and a 100ft bulk roll of HP5+ enroute to me as of tomorrow morning.
Oh dear....
What you need is a recan or short end of Eastman's 5222?
10-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I used a Lloyd in high school, but not since. I am surprised we can still buy that stuff.
Funny - it was a Watson I used in highschool/college.

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 11:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
What you need is a recan or short end of Eastman's 5222?
Heh.. is that a question?

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 11:42 PM ----------

I'm not well versed in B&W... have always shot primarily color. Have always preferred it.
10-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own an Alden 74. It's the same model I used in the late 1970's.

Chris

10-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

So I guess that means you really like HP5+ film? I'm a film neophyte, so I wouldn't know what film to chase after 100 feet at a time.
10-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
So I guess that means you really like HP5+ film? I'm a film neophyte, so I wouldn't know what film to chase after 100 feet at a time.
I don't a have a huge amount of B&W experience, and very little in the past few years. I shot a few rolls of HP5+ and one Delta3200, Tri-X and another I'm forgetting right now. I much preferred the HP5+ shots, though they were all on medium format so the grain was much less than I'm about to experience. I'm intending to start developing it at home by the end of the year and the many successful stories of different chemicals used, very very wide latitude and the around-fifity-bucks for 100ft can just pushed me toward it. I figure if I tire of it quickly I can fairly easily sell the remainder, as popular as it is. But short answer is, yeah for B&W I've liked it a lot but I reserve a star until I've ran a few 35mm through my cameras.
10-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Oh dear....
This has been in the back of my mind for several years, as the supply of color film and developing becomes increasingly tenuous. I've got a patterson developing tank & reel stashed away, and darkroom experience dating to the late 80's to fall back on. So maybe it will come to that, one of these years.
10-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
This has been in the back of my mind for several years, as the supply of color film and developing becomes increasingly tenuous. I've got a patterson developing tank & reel stashed away, and darkroom experience dating to the late 80's to fall back on. So maybe it will come to that, one of these years.
I've been in the same boat - experience from late 80s and early 90s - been considering it for years. Bought it on a whim at 1am. Now I'm committed.
100ft for 50 bucks of very capable stuff. I'm considering the Arista E6 press kits I've been reading about as well. It's the E6 where I'd really save money, and that would allow me shoot it as often as I like... It seems a huge challenge to find it in bulk, but the processing cost has risen far faster/steeper than color neg lab work, so I'm really tempted.
Anyone around here process E6 at home?
10-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been enjoying FP4+ in bulk. Have mainly been shooting it in my old Leicas (with their great cassettes), but also in SV with my old Pentax (and Asahiflex) reloadable cassettes. I use my old Nikor tanks, but now with Hewes reels. With a single reel tank, develop in Rodinal (which I didn't use back in my film days) use very little chemicals, and do rolls a few times a week. Still scanning negatives for now, but should set up the enlarger again by New Years.
I used to process E6 some in the 60s to 80s, and it wasn't bad. Also printed from slides back then. Now having all the fun I can handle with B&W.
10-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I've been enjoying FP4+ in bulk. Have mainly been shooting it in my old Leicas (with their great cassettes), but also in SV with my old Pentax (and Asahiflex) reloadable cassettes. I use my old Nikor tanks, but now with Hewes reels. With a single reel tank, develop in Rodinal (which I didn't use back in my film days) use very little chemicals, and do rolls a few times a week. Still scanning negatives for now, but should set up the enlarger again by New Years.
I used to process E6 some in the 60s to 80s, and it wasn't bad. Also printed from slides back then. Now having all the fun I can handle with B&W.
Did you happen to use a 6-step or 3-step chem process for you E6. Positive is what I love more than anything. I should probably just figure out how to get it done.
10-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got some of the last real AGFA APX100 and and some ancient Kodak Panatomic -X for my bulk loader...

Chris
10-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Did you happen to use a 6-step or 3-step chem process for you E6. Positive is what I love more than anything. I should probably just figure out how to get it done.
The last time I did +ve it was E4 but it was not difficult with a kit.
The only problem is the labs have too much capacity and will be closing down unless Ferrani start producion coating soon.

---------- Post added 10-13-15 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've got some of the last real AGFA APX100 and and some ancient Kodak Panatomic -X for my bulk loader...

Chris
Kentmere 400 30.5m x3
Foma 400 30.5m x3
Agfa APX400S 48m
5222 30.5m
HP5+ ex cine 30.5m
FSU cine 305.0m
Aside from loaded daylight loaders
Lots of Fuji C41 30.5m cans exp pre 2005