Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film gear have any value still?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So a co-worker (Canon shooter) came across a box of Pentax gear (a relative passed away a number of years ago and the spouse is moving from the family home). He, being aware that I'm using Pentax, brought the gear to work to see if I wanted it and if so, for how much.

I don't see alot of value here for my personal use but am not shy hold on to stuff as maybe I'll find the time or be more inclined to have this gear later.

I've included a list of the main gear (various old filters, 3rd party flash, shutter release, etc not listed).

The bellows might be fun someday. I've a macro lens though and am not sure I'd use an M42 bellows for much.
The copipod looks cool, but again, what am I ever going to use it for?
The 4 lenses I have in K mount and the 1.4 are both yellowed.
The extension tubes, same as the bellows.....and again, m42.....
I have 4 film bodies currently but these bodies have both been kept well.

As such, I don't mind spending $50 or something if they just want them gone, in hopes that someday I might find the gear worth having.
I'm not inclined to undervalue someone else's gear though, without at least being honest in that regard.

Anyone see much here that might have value and would make it worth is while to ebay this (either together or piecemeal).

Thanks.

M42 bellows with book
PENTAX Bellows Unit II (M42) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database in original box with sleeve.

Copipod
PENTAX Copipod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database in original case with booklet.

asahi pentax lenshood SP SV SLA lenshood in case and in original box.

m42 35mm 3.5 in stamped (Takumar 3.5/35) case
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

m42 135mm 3.5 in stamped (Takumar 3.5/135) case

m42 50mm 1.4 (qty 2)

Case with extension tubes (AOCO)
Pentax Aoco Asahi Optical Company Genuine Case FOR Extension Tube | eBay

Pentax AF16 Flash in sleeve type case with booklet

Asahi Pentax Ref-Conveter in case and original box

Asahi Pentax Correction Lens adapter in original box

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (qty 2)

SMC Pentax stamped case (SMC Pentax 4/50

10-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

sure there is value...stuff like this is bought n sold constantly.......
10-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bellows is good for macro work. Get an m42 flanged adapter for use just with the bellows. Depending on the camera you have you might use an m42 extension tube to be sure you have the clearance from the pentaprism.

The lenses can be used on any slr with the right (original) Pentax adapter.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-12-2015 at 08:02 PM.
10-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Assuming that all of the gear are in good working order, I'd say there is about 300 to 400 CAD, possibly a little more for the entire collection if you were to sell them piecemeal.

10-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The bellows is good for macro work. Get an m42 flanged adapter for use just with the bellows. Depending on the camera you have you might use an m42 extension tube to be sure you have the clearance from the pentaprism.
Warning warning warning Get a T mount to go onto the bellows. The pentax adapter will lock on and you can't get the bellows off the camera because the flash protrudes forwards - film cameras were flat
10-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all.

I will show him this thread and let him decide. I am guessing he'll take it all back for the potential value.
10-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Warning warning warning Get a T mount to go onto the bellows. The pentax adapter will lock on and you can't get the bellows off the camera because the flash protrudes forwards - film cameras were flat
I specified the flange type adapter which doesn't lock and suggested using an m42 extension tube to extend past the pentaprism. Also the entire m42 mount on the bellows easily separates with the turn of a thumb screw allowing the bellows to be removed and then the small ring can be turned to remove it from the adapter. The pentax adapter would be useful for using the lenses directly without the tubes or bellows.

I own this same bellows and use mine with the Pentax adapter and extension tubes. I should grab a flanged adapter to use to make it easier, but what I have works.

---------- Post added 10-13-15 at 11:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Thank you all.

I will show him this thread and let him decide. I am guessing he'll take it all back for the potential value.
Remember that value is for gear that is in great condition, the lenses may have fungus, the apertures may be sticky, there may be scratches... value may not be there.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-13-2015 at 08:17 PM.
10-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

Remember that value is for gear that is in great condition, the lenses may have fungus, the apertures may be sticky, there may be scratches... value may not be there.
Everything I've looked appears to have been well looked after.
10-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Everything I've looked appears to have been well looked after.
Cosmetics aside, you can't really know what shape it's in until you've put film through it.
10-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The bellows might be fun someday. I've a macro lens though and am not sure I'd use an M42 bellows for much.
macro lenses and bellows can be stacked together.

The copipod looks cool, but again, what am I ever going to use it for?
testing for lens decentering... if you put a mirror on the table, and center the camera directly over it, the sensor should be pretty parallel to the surface of the whatever graphic you are shooting.

when pentax ff digital comes out, that could be very handy for wide lenses.

you are eventually going to move from film to digital?

The 4 lenses I have in K mount and the 1.4 are both yellowed.
yellowing can be fixed, it's a question of testing to see which lenses have the least amount of decentering, i would hang on to the 50/1.4's.

that glass is a bit weak on the sides on my a7r, k-mount 35's or the fa35 are much better.

m42 135mm 3.5 in stamped (Takumar 3.5/135) case
goodwill donation.
10-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bellows is m42. Macro is K mount. That would mean conversion on both side etc......or using one of the m42 lenses.

I haven't shot film in probably 10-15 years.

None of the equipment is mine to hang on to.

The case would be handy as I've a K mount 135 3.5 and although I haven't tried, it'd probably fit.

Basically, I next see the co-worker on the 16th and unless he just wants it gone I doubt he'll give me everything that I think has value for next to nothing. Will see.....

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
macro lenses and bellows can be stacked together.

testing for lens decentering... if you put a mirror on the table, and center the camera directly over it, the sensor should be pretty parallel to the surface of the whatever graphic you are shooting.

when pentax ff digital comes out, that could be very handy for wide lenses.

you are eventually going to move from film to digital?

yellowing can be fixed, it's a question of testing to see which lenses have the least amount of decentering, i would hang on to the 50/1.4's.

that glass is a bit weak on the sides on my a7r, k-mount 35's or the fa35 are much better.

goodwill donation.
10-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bellows is m42. Macro is K mount. That would mean conversion on both side etc......or using one of the m42 lenses.

I haven't shot film in probably 10-15 years.

None of the equipment is mine to hang on to.

The case would be handy as I've a K mount 135 3.5 and although I haven't tried, it'd probably fit.

Basically, I next see the co-worker on the 16th and unless he just wants it gone I doubt he'll give me everything that I think has value for next to nothing. Will see.....
Reverse mount the lens. Could be fun to try.
10-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Cosmetics aside, you can't really know what shape it's in until you've put film through it.
Oh sure you can. You can visually inspect lenses for fungus, lens separation, oil on the diaphragm and so on. Turn the focus ring to feel for the smoothness of the lens' operation. Turn the aperture ring to see if the diaphragm is opening and closing properly.

As for the camera body, fire off the shutter at all speeds and listen to see if the shutter speeds are accurate. Leave the film back open and fire off the shutter to see if the shutter curtain is working properly. Check inside the mirror box to see if the foam seals and bumpers are working properly or if they need replacing. If the camera has a meter, test the meter against another camera/meter.

People have been buying used cameras probably from the day after the camera was invented and it would be most unlikely that you'd have the chance to 'put the film through' any of them before you buy.
10-15-2015, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried using the equivalent Takumar lens case on my K series lenses and none fit properly. The wider K Series 52mm filter diameter lenses are usually too wide for the Takumar 49mm cases.

Phil.
10-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It does have value, and the lenses have held value well...
The 135/3.5 is an OK lens, the 35/3.5 and the 50/1.4 are good.
I see you mention a 50/4 if that is there it is valuable