Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
how old is my k1000?

I just recently bought a k1000 with a lot of nice gear from my boss, who buys storage unit contents.

I'm curious to know how old my k1000 is. The serial number is 8287963. I viewed previous threads that tell you how you can find generally what time period the camera was made in, but for 8xxxxxx serial numbers, I only saw one beginning in 84xxxxx. Nothing with 82xxxxx. It says Asahi Pentax on it.

10-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
I own 5 K1000s. The newest has a 80xxxxx serial number and that one is from around 1987. 82xxxxx numbers should be in the same time frame.

The old K1000 thread got combined with the Serial # Database.

Pentax K1000 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
10-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,578
QuoteOriginally posted by drphotolv Quote
I just recently bought a k1000 with a lot of nice gear from my boss, who buys storage unit contents.

I'm curious to know how old my k1000 is. The serial number is 8287963. I viewed previous threads that tell you how you can find generally what time period the camera was made in, but for 8xxxxxx serial numbers, I only saw one beginning in 84xxxxx. Nothing with 82xxxxx. It says Asahi Pentax on it.
Take a photo, and go to this site, it tells you the exact date of manufacture of your camera.

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,339
QuoteOriginally posted by drphotolv Quote
I just recently bought a k1000 with a lot of nice gear from my boss, who buys storage unit contents.

I'm curious to know how old my k1000 is. The serial number is 8287963. I viewed previous threads that tell you how you can find generally what time period the camera was made in, but for 8xxxxxx serial numbers, I only saw one beginning in 84xxxxx. Nothing with 82xxxxx. It says Asahi Pentax on it.
Check the K1000 to see where it was made, that will narrow it down.

If yours says ASAHI PENTAX on the prism check to see where the s/n is located and if it says MADE IN JAPAN.

Phil.

10-20-2015, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Take a photo, and go to this site, it tells you the exact date of manufacture of your camera.

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
And how it's going to read EXIF from 35mm film?
10-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,479
QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Take a photo, and go to this site, it tells you the exact date of manufacture of your camera.

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
And how it's going to read EXIF from 35mm film?
I was thinking the same thing
10-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,578
Uhhh, ya got me!
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 491
QuoteOriginally posted by drphotolv Quote
I just recently bought a k1000 with a lot of nice gear from my boss, who buys storage unit contents.

I'm curious to know how old my k1000 is. The serial number is 8287963. I viewed previous threads that tell you how you can find generally what time period the camera was made in, but for 8xxxxxx serial numbers, I only saw one beginning in 84xxxxx. Nothing with 82xxxxx. It says Asahi Pentax on it.
78xx xxx to 84xx xxx is 84 to 89 about

10-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 27
Confirmed dates

If it was made HK/Japan has nothing to do with dating. Assembly of the K1000 in HK started within the first year of production.
Pentax were assembling in HK long before the K1000 was released.
Serial number location is only relevant to series I bodies.

K1000 serial number range 828XXXXX is from late half of 1988. It is a late series III body.

Series IV bodies started at around 84XXXXX. (later half of 1989).
10-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
If it was made HK/Japan has nothing to do with dating. Assembly of the K1000 in HK started within the first year of production.
Pentax were assembling in HK long before the K1000 was released.
Serial number location is only relevant to series I bodies.

K1000 serial number range 828XXXXX is from late half of 1988. It is a late series III body.

Series IV bodies started at around 84XXXXX. (later half of 1989).
The rabbit hole is opening....


Steve


(...happens every time K1000 production/manufacturing details are discussed...)
10-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 491
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The rabbit hole is opening....


Steve


(...happens every time K1000 production/manufacturing details are discussed...)
Spoil sport?
10-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
If it was made HK/Japan has nothing to do with dating. Assembly of the K1000 in HK started within the first year of production.
Pentax were assembling in HK long before the K1000 was released.
Serial number location is only relevant to series I bodies.

K1000 serial number range 828XXXXX is from late half of 1988. It is a late series III body.

Series IV bodies started at around 84XXXXX. (later half of 1989).
This is something I suspected because as far as I remember the SP1000 was already assembled in HK, and it makes sense that the K1000 replaced it in the production line, however the parts must be imported from Japan as the top cover is the same as the KX.
10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 27
Lowest confirmed serial number in first series body for HK assembly I have is 7501113. You are correct about parts originating in Japan.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k1000
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much my old filter can cost now? micromacro Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 9 01-24-2014 10:05 PM
How to Clean My k1000 K-Arnav Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 10-06-2010 06:55 AM
How Difficult is it to Remove K1000 Top Plate? builttospill Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 09-21-2010 08:00 AM
How Do I Clean my K1000?? bigK Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 08-12-2010 06:36 PM
My K1000 Is Scratching Film KJon Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 09-13-2009 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top