Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MX Focusing Screens

Recently I had the chance to handle an MX, and really like the size and feel of it. So, I bought an MX and it's in the post, should turn up on Friday. Because it's smaller and lighter than the F2 I've been using, I'm expecting to carry it around more. The only thing that I'm not so enamored with is giving up the grid focusing screen my F2 has. To me the grid is very useful for composition, for measuring perspective distortion (I have a 17mm tamron I use frequently) and for the occasional multiple exposure.
I know that such a focusing screen, the SG-something, exists for pentax, but I'm not entirely clear on the compatibility of MX and LX screens. Are there any besides the SG's that have the grid, and what will be the practical effects of putting an LX screen in an MX?
Also, aside from ebay or the marketplace here, where would be a good place to look for the screen? Is it possible Erick would have/sell one? The MX might very well go out for a CLA in a few month's time anyways.

10-21-2015, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I know that such a focusing screen, the SG-something, exists for pentax, but I'm not entirely clear on the compatibility of MX and LX screens. Are there any besides the SG's that have the grid, and what will be the practical effects of putting an LX screen in an MX?
MX-LX focussing screens are completely interchangeable. This old Marketplace ad reproduces the brochure with all of the available screens for the MX and the LX:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/32637-sale-sold-pentax-mx-l...se-amp-sg.html

Edit: Oops. Those were the first 8 screens available when the MX came out. It looks like they released 17 screens for the LX, although many of those might be identical to MX screens, except slightly brighter:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/misc/focus/screens/

I bought the SG. I couldn't stand the original SC-1 (matte + split + microprism).

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 10-21-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional info
10-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
MX-LX focussing screens are completely interchangeable. This old Marketplace ad reproduces the brochure with all of the available screens for the MX and the LX:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/32637-sale-sold-pentax-mx-l...se-amp-sg.html

Edit: Oops. Those were the first 8 screens available when the MX came out. It looks like they released 17 screens for the LX, although many of those might be identical to MX screens, except slightly brighter:
Pentax Focusing Screens

I bought the SG. I couldn't stand the original SC-1 (matte + split + microprism).
I'm in the other camp. With the near 1:1 finder of the MX and LX, I very much like the matte/split/micro. Normally with less magnification I don't care for them.
10-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW Eric Hendrickson once told me no meter adjustment is necessary when using an LX screen in the MX.
Apparently any difference in light transmission is negligible.

Chris

10-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I'm in the other camp. With the near 1:1 finder of the MX and LX, I very much like the matte/split/micro. Normally with less magnification I don't care for them.
I had to get away from the split/micro so that I could properly focus my Tamron Adaptall 300mm f5.6. Half of the split image and microprisms go black with such a slow lens. I can see how the split image focussing aid would be useful for macro.
10-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Back in my film days, I used an MX and an LX side by side (also a Super A and later a Z-1p). I put grid screens in all those bodies that offered the possibility (excluding the Super A). I did a lot of architectural shooting with the 28mm shift lens, which is how I got used to them, but came to prefer them over all other options. Although MX screens have the same dimensions as LX ones, I found that using the LX screen in the MX gave me very dark corners, if I recall correctly. Anyway, my conclusion was that it was no good. The reason is that the LX has a very different finder construction with the big lens between screen and pentaprism which the MX does not have. The screens are adapted to that. In a nutshell, the original MX screen is better in the MX.
A French seller has an SG screen on the big auction site right now for an acceptable price.
10-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I had to get away from the split/micro so that I could properly focus my Tamron Adaptall 300mm f5.6. Half of the split image and microprisms go black with such a slow lens. I can see how the split image focussing aid would be useful for macro.
Micro prisms and split images are each optimised for the lens characteristics but both will go dark with slow lenses away from their optimum.

10-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm contemplating that certain screen from that certain auction site, but is that really a good price?
Is it just because MX focusing screens are rare?
10-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I'm contemplating that certain screen from that certain auction site, but is that really a good price?
Is it just because MX focusing screens are rare?
This could start you down a different sort of road... but... I got the screen I wanted by purchasing another MX.
10-27-2015, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This could start you down a different sort of road... but... I got the screen I wanted by purchasing another MX.
Well, that's an option as well I suppose, but I'd end up selling one of them pretty quick.
Having too much space and money tied up in gear is no good
After all, part of the reason for getting the MX was that it might convince me to trade off the massive F2.
06-22-2023, 04:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

This is an old thread, BUT could an ME screen be made to work with an MX? By a bit of jiggery to make it fit, would it display and meter okay?
I got a cheap MX in rough condition but I’m determined to revive it!
06-22-2023, 08:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
This is an old thread, BUT could an ME screen be made to work with an MX? By a bit of jiggery to make it fit, would it display and meter okay?

I got a cheap MX in rough condition but I’m determined to revive it!
I'm guessing, but I doubt it would fit. The MX viewfinder is very different from the ME. LX screens do fit MX, though I think there is a brightness issue of 1/2 stop. I've checked eBay and there are some but at ridiculous prices and $30-$40 shipping! Nuts! I've got a few MX parts bodies and I'm pretty sure I have a few standard screens. DM me an address and I'll send you one.

06-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I'm guessing, but I doubt it would fit. The MX viewfinder is very different from the ME. LX screens do fit MX, though I think there is a brightness issue of 1/2 stop. I've checked eBay and there are some but at ridiculous prices and $30-$40 shipping! Nuts! I've got a few MX parts bodies and I'm pretty sure I have a few standard screens. DM me an address and I'll send you one.
Thats amazing news, thanks!
I was willing to file away the tab on the ME so it might fit into the MX, but not having to do that is probably best
06-26-2023, 06:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Useful link...