Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Damn! I must have been in the washroom when that happened.
Somebody better tell Michael Reichmann...he was still jazzed about the Pentax 67II in 2009...

https://luminous-landscape.com/pentax67ii/

Steve

11-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizowel Quote
No memo - it just happened. All the R&D into new and better cameras went digital 10 - 12 years ago. The last new Pentax film camera was released in 2003, Nikon 2004. There may be an exception out there somewhere but us film shooters are generally using 20th century cameta technology. It's still better than digital in some respects but I wonder how great it might be with 10 more years of R&D added in.
Obviously the exception is the Pentax LX and I am sure we can debate what is best but only if it would be productive . . .
11-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #63

Somebody better tell Michael Reichmann...he was still jazzed about the Pentax 67II in 2009...

https://luminous-landscape.com/pentax67ii/

Steve
Hey, I am still Jazzed about the K-1000 but that doesn't make it a new camera. The 67ii was released in 1998 - again, 20th century technology. I don't know of any but there probably are a couple new cameras released in the past 10 years but no new technology. As you said, all the R&D money has gone into new digital sensors and shutters etc. My point was not to debate what camera was released when but to simply point out that just because the camera manufacturers abandoned further developing film cameras in favor of digital doesn't mean that the film cameras were nearly as advanced as they might have become.

---------- Post added 11-03-15 at 05:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Obviously the exception is the Pentax LX and I am sure we can debate what is best but only if it would be productive . . .
Not debating best at all - the LX was awesome! I was just pointing out there has been no new film camera technology released in the 21st century. The LX was released in the early 1980s I believe.
11-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #64
Site Supporter

PZ-1
LX

I am unworthy.

11-03-2015, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Not debating best at all - the LX was awesome! I was just pointing out there has been no new film camera technology released in the 21st century. The LX was released in the early 1980s I believe.
I got that the first time you said it. And BTW, the LX is awesome!

What you didn't say is what feature you think may be lacking.

As for correct year of release, this is what I have with their year of release as a reference.

Larger version -> My cameras by year

From my own experience, I am not sure what photographic feature I am missing . . .
11-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #66
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Three. That's Pentax K, film and digital, Canon EOS digital, Pentacon Six - medium format film. Will probably get a Pentax 6x7 next year too.
11-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #67

Currently own a Pentax K1000 and its the first film camera I have owned. Recently the lens for it broke. The focus is no longer focussing and it is stiff to turn. Just wondering if a lens from a ME super would fit the K1000
thank you
11-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucyjc Quote
Just wondering if a lens from a ME super would fit the K1000
thank you
It will

11-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #69

I got that the first time you said it. And BTW, the LX is awesome!

What you didn't say is what feature you think may be lacking.

As for correct year of release, this is what I have with their year of release as a reference.

Larger version -> My cameras by year

From my own experience, I am not sure what photographic feature I am missing . . .
I would like a version of Sony's SLT technology on my ZX-L to add optional live view and continuous phase detection autofocus. That would be sweet.
11-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #70

It will
thank you
11-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #71
Site Supporter

My point was not to debate what camera was released when but to simply point out that just because the camera manufacturers abandoned further developing film cameras in favor of digital doesn't mean that the film cameras were nearly as advanced as they might have become.
Might it be that the reason why the development went into the digital gear was because it was (and continues to be) an immature technology? Again, I would challenge you to define "advanced" and indicate what features you feel might have been incorporated into film cameras that would improve their utility over what was available in say, 2005. I suggest you use the Nikon F6 as an example of state of the art for that point in history for 35mm film. What tech would you migrate to the F6 from current dSLRs that does not involve a digital imaging sensor.

Steve
11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #72
Site Supporter

What tech would you migrate to the F6 from current dSLRs that does not involve a digital imaging sensor.
FWIW, I can think of a few features of obsolete 20th Century tech that I would like to see migrated to current dSLRs. True TTL flash would be a good start point.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2015 at 11:29 AM.
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #73
Veteran Member

What I currently have:

Canon FD
Exakta (Varex)
M42
Mamiya TLR
Minolta MD
Pentax K
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #74

Might it be that the reason why the development went into the digital gear was because it was (and continues to be) an immature technology? Again, I would challenge you to define "advanced" and indicate what features you feel might have been incorporated into film cameras that would improve their utility over what was available in say, 2005. I suggest you use the Nikon F6 as an example of state of the art for that point in history for 35mm film. What tech would you migrate to the F6 from current dSLRs that does not involve a digital imaging sensor.

Steve
Why can't we have a sensor in there with our film? As I posted earlier, some SLT technology adding optional live view and continuous phase detect AF would be sweet. Polaroid was working on instant developed 35mm film at one time. Let's throw that in too. Why Can't We Have Our Cake AND Eat It too?
11-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #75
Pentaxian

I shoot these medium format cameras regularly
* Fuji GSW690III
* Hasselblad 500C/M
* Pentax 67
This now and then
* Wisner 4x5 Technical Field
These not much at all
* Spotmatic F
* ME Super SE