Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
First one with the car in the snow looks like it could easily be a still from Supernatural. Great shot!

The MX is wonderful, and I'm seriously conflicted over whether it or the ME will be my overseas vest-pocket film camera (with the 40mm SMC-M pancake). Full-time Av for rapid shots of opportunity and 1/100 emergency powerless backup vs. full unpowered flexibility at any film or shutter speed if you're willing to gamble and guess the exposure. It's a very hard call.
I just don't have full confidence in the ME Super with it's greater complication. My ME-S often requires two cranks of the winder to charge the shutter on the first shot of the day. It is as if the load "lock" is too slow to kick in. If you want a reliable point and shoot, here is what I do with my MX. Before setting out, pre-set the speed and aperture for the expected light conditions and type of picture. If it is street shooting, I might set a minimum of 1/125 second, and the best depth of field I can get with that. That leaves only the focus to pre-set, which is set at about 20 feet. Once on your way, be prepared to open up a stop if it looks darker than expected, or close a stop if brighter than expected. This can be done by feel alone if you want to remain unobtrusive. By all means, if one has the time, fine tuning is an option.

01-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I just don't have full confidence in the ME Super with it's greater complication. My ME-S often requires two cranks of the winder to charge the shutter on the first shot of the day. It is as if the load "lock" is too slow to kick in. If you want a reliable point and shoot, here is what I do with my MX. Before setting out, pre-set the speed and aperture for the expected light conditions and type of picture. If it is street shooting, I might set a minimum of 1/125 second, and the best depth of field I can get with that. That leaves only the focus to pre-set, which is set at about 20 feet. Once on your way, be prepared to open up a stop if it looks darker than expected, or close a stop if brighter than expected. This can be done by feel alone if you want to remain unobtrusive. By all means, if one has the time, fine tuning is an option.
Fantastic! I'll try this...
01-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Yes it is too small, but who cares.
The MX is just the right size when you add the MX Winder or MX Motor Drive.
01-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Then it's too big for the pocket of my Tilley vest.

Assembling the plethora of things that fit onto an MX is like watching OJ Simpson's character assemble his weapon in the original Naked Gun movie - he starts with a very small handheld sidearm, and by the time he finishes clipping on the accessories it's the size of a small artillery piece.

03-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
...or a soft release shutter button! I always found the MX a little slippery in my big hands, but with the addition of the shutter button I now feel that I have much more leverage on the camera as a whole.

03-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Hmm that's quite the dilemma you have there, pathdoc. I also own both the ME-S and MX, and it's a tough call. While the ME's auto exposure is convenient, the deciding factor for me would be that I find the MX much more satisfying to shoot. If you however do not, take the ME.
I ended up taking the ME, which was just a fraction smaller and (in actual use) infinitely more convenient for the sort of shooting I did with it. But it was a very close call, and it could have gone either way. I usually keep at least one of my film cameras loaded at all times - the ME has had its moment of glory, and now it is the MX's turn.
03-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #37
Pentaxian

The MX is very nice. I also prefer larger cameras in use but smaller ones are better for travel and the MX has the best viewfinder I've ever tried, except for possibly the one on my medium format 645.