Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Half the reason I just can't pick up the K-3 very often anymore. Same reason I really like the Bessa R3m.
If you like that, you should look through and LX. Even brighter. Even bigger. True both-eyes-open shooting with a 50mm.
LX with the Finder Base FB-1 and the Sports Action Finder FC-2 is like looking through a picture window!!

10-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just put my first roll through my MX, It's a very nice camera to use. The finder is not quite on the level of the LX or F2, but it's certainly not far behind. I would say the same thing for build quality, overall it feels like a very well-built piece, designed carefully and up to serious use. I particularly like the film take-up spool, although I wish they could have made the plastic rods run all 35mm, so bulk film could be loaded without cutting leaders.
I can see why the first touch or roll with these cameras is such a revelation to so many people.

Now to find the grid focusing screen...
10-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I just put my first roll through my MX, It's a very nice camera to use. The finder is not quite on the level of the LX or F2,
The viewfinders of the LX and MX are near lifesize (or more in the LX) while the F2 (and all other Nikon models) are tiny by comparison. Although the great thing about the single digit F's is that they have 100% coverage.
10-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparent distance is a factor too. IMO the MX image appears too close. I must scan or move my eye to see the entire screen.
I prefer a viewfinder like that of the Nikon F2 where the image appears a bit further away; I can take in the entire screen easily.

Chris

10-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

No doubt that in the world of manual focus that the viewfinder is key and one will have to live with the compromises if the viewfinder is not interchangeable. Besides brightness, contrast and clarity, one will have to choose between eye-relief or magnification as they are mutually exclusive properties.

Interestingly enough, Nikon doesn't offer the variety of eye-relief/magnification that the LX viewfinder system does - along with built-in diopter
10-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The viewfinders of the LX and MX are near lifesize (or more in the LX) while the F2 (and all other Nikon models) are tiny by comparison. Although the great thing about the single digit F's is that they have 100% coverage.
I just had a squint through the finders of the MX and LX, and they appear identical to me. The LX has the standard hot shoe finder.
10-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LX with the Finder Base FB-1 and the Sports Action Finder FC-2 is like looking through a picture window!!

I have installed the SA 23 screen in my LX and tried with the FA-1 and the FB-1/FC-2 combination.

The Nikon H2 screen is bright, but the LX in this configuration is as bright as a Leica rangefinder.

10-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I have installed the SA 23 screen in my LX and tried with the FA-1 and the FB-1/FC-2 combination.
I have thst screen but I've never installed it - I'll need to try.
01-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #24

The SC-69 makes the LX even brighter. The multicoated finder system of the LX makes the otherwise amazing MX look dim. (Either makes my Topcon Super D look dark.)

Finder magnification on the MX is as wonderful as the Olympus OM-1. But those come at the cost of eye relief. The LX/FA-1 has a little less magnification, but better eye relief.
01-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #25

Yep I can certainly vouch for the MX. Over the years I have laid my hands on KX, K2, ME Super, SP and MX, and I ended up keeping the SP and MX.

The SP just has that classic feel about it, and the Super-Takumar lenses are little gems. But I have to say, the sound of the MX's silk shutter is just to die for. People rave on about the K2's titanium shutter but it's too clangy and hard sounding for me. There's a certain softness about the MX's shutter that is just perfection. Coupled with a 55mm f1.2 it's hard to beat.

Note: As I just learnt, the MX has a limited meter coupling range which makes night shots and long exposure metering a little challenging. AE tends to be the way to go for night photography, with the ME Super exposing up to 4 seconds, the K2 up to 8 seconds and the LX far beyond.

Last edited by RR84; 01-03-2016 at 09:18 PM.
01-04-2016, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Yep I can certainly vouch for the MX. Over the years I have laid my hands on KX, K2, ME Super, SP and MX, and I ended up keeping the SP and MX.

The SP just has that classic feel about it, and the Super-Takumar lenses are little gems. But I have to say, the sound of the MX's silk shutter is just to die for. People rave on about the K2's titanium shutter but it's too clangy and hard sounding for me. There's a certain softness about the MX's shutter that is just perfection. Coupled with a 55mm f1.2 it's hard to beat.

Note: As I just learnt, the MX has a limited meter coupling range which makes night shots and long exposure metering a little challenging. AE tends to be the way to go for night photography, with the ME Super exposing up to 4 seconds, the K2 up to 8 seconds and the LX far beyond.
With my MX, I think I just counted fifteen to twenty for shots like this:

01-04-2016, 02:19 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Great shots! Love the colour of the first one. Which film?
01-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Great shots! Love the colour of the first one. Which film?
Thanks. Kodachrome, which was my main film.
01-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
First one with the car in the snow looks like it could easily be a still from Supernatural. Great shot!

The MX is wonderful, and I'm seriously conflicted over whether it or the ME will be my overseas vest-pocket film camera (with the 40mm SMC-M pancake). Full-time Av for rapid shots of opportunity and 1/100 emergency powerless backup vs. full unpowered flexibility at any film or shutter speed if you're willing to gamble and guess the exposure. It's a very hard call.
01-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm seriously conflicted over whether it or the ME will be my overseas vest-pocket film camera
Hmm that's quite the dilemma you have there, pathdoc. I also own both the ME-S and MX, and it's a tough call. While the ME's auto exposure is convenient, the deciding factor for me would be that I find the MX much more satisfying to shoot. If you however do not, take the ME.