Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just received my ME in the post!

So I just received my first Pentax ME in the mail

As a kid I had an old MX and kinda fumbled around with it. I was about 8 or 9 and could shoot pictures but the results were pretty random LOL. Fast forward from 1982 to 2015, and I have owned a K-50, I have a K-30, and a Q7,... and now this beauty.

I got it from EBay for $35 USD shipped! The lens is worth more than that. Winds smoothly, shutter engages smoothly, lens needed some cleaning to get grime out of focal meter but now turns smoothly. Glass is crystal clear through elements. Basically at this point I have what is a superb quality ME, both visually and it seems mechanically and with lens clarity.

Can't wait to slap in a roll and shoot. Pictured with my Q7 for size and styling comparison.

You can obviously see how the Q series was definitely styled with legacy camera bodies in mind. Even the bottom of the Q10 and Q7 tapers inward like the bottom of an ME/MX/K-1000.

Here you can see them both sporting Pentax-M 50mm lenses... the Q7 with an f2, and the ME with its f1.7.

The 50mm is a natural fit on the Q. And these cameras are from totally different eras... two eras apart at least, maybe three depending on how you consider camera gens... but still sit so pretty next to each other.

I'm headed to the local camera shop now, where they sell and develop/print film. I'll be shooting my first five rolls in B&W. Should be interesting getting more familiar with Sunny 16 and a lot more thought behind composition.

Any advice... GIVE IT TO ME! This is my first film camera (as an adult) and I've already moved to the habit of shooting my DSLR in Manual... so I hope that helps me approach this. I've had an Pentax-M 50mm f2 for awhile now, and it has been my FAVORITE lens on my (now dead) K-50 and my (now primary) K-30... and for sure, my favorite portrait lens. This M 50mm f1.7 is going to be even better... on the K-30.. and of course, on this ME.

Can't wait to go shooting with the ME this weekend!

10-27-2015, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See the little screws that go into the sides of the mode dial/shutter button assembly? Make sure all of them are screwed in securely. If the one on the right hand side comes loose, the shutter button assembly will fall out if the camera is shaken or inverted and the inner plunger that bears upon the shutter release plate inside the camera will be lost. Then you will have a paperweight unless you can source a new one.

This happened to me and fortunately I was able to source and fit spares. Now I have a really excellent little camera for use with light, small primes in aperture priority mode 24/7. I think you'll have a lot of fun with yours.

Looking at this and the Q together makes you realise how easy it would be to make an ME-D or MX-D if only the will were there...
10-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the ME - it's a great little camera and was my first film SLR. However, you might just start with a single test roll of film to determine if there are any issues. Mine had some serious light leakage due to the old and crumbing seals around the rear door. The foam mirror bumper was pretty much non-existent, having also crumbled away from age. Unless you know the camera was serviced, there's a good chance the seals are shot. Fortunately, DIY seal kits are cheap and easy to install. I got mine from Jon Goodman here in the Dallas area, but he also ships his kits pretty much anywhere. (I'll try to find his email) Hopefully your meter and shutter are sound and accurate, but these cameras are pretty old, and sometimes need servicing. Your first test roll should expose any issues. Have fun!

Last edited by paulh; 10-27-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typos
10-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

nice camera

you bought a nice camera.
think it is a better one than the future Pentax ff

10-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I actually have decided to shoot the first roll exclusively at the non-power 1/100 shutter speed. I want to see what it does. Going to keep a log of the shots. After that I will throw in fresh batteries and use the auto and log again.

Those screws look good. I have eyeglasses screwdrivers and will check. Should they maybe have a teensy tiny bit of loctite?
10-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Snug them down and you should be good. I think loctite might be a bad idea - if it gets into the shutter release mechanism and binds the inner plunger to the shutter button, it may prevent you from using a cable release.