Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Spotmatic shutter or mirror problem

Hi all,

I've been having this intermittent problem with my original Spotmatic. I've had this happen at seemingly random intervals with various lenses. The outside edge of the photo appears correctly exposed, but there's a rectangular "patch" right in the middle of the frame that's blown out. I'm not having any other issues with the mirror jamming, but the lightmeter switch does occasionally stay up after releasing the shutter... and that doesn't seem to coincide with these weird anomalies.

It's a 50 year old camera, so it's probably time for a CLA, but I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone has seen this particular result before.

Here's an example: not the best shot, but I was actively trying to get the camera to do it again.

Attached Images

10-28-2015, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is hard to say, but I suspect the issue may be a failed or missing felt light seal at the hinge end of the film compartment. The hard edge at bottom is the clue. Examination of the negative strip should show a light leak extending beyond the frame border at the top of the image. It is also possible this is a failure of the felt light trap on the film canister.

Steve
10-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Aha... there is indeed a bit of that leaked rectangle extending just beyond the frame border. Upon closer inspection, the seal actually does look pretty flat... the seals were replaced on this camera before I got it, but with felt or wool, not with foam. I'll replace that one and see how things go.

Thanks!
10-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darbo Quote
but with felt or wool, not with foam.
The hinge seal is supposed to be thin felt.

Steve

10-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The hinge seal is supposed to be thin felt.

Steve
Yes, I can see that now that I've gone in to replace it... it wasn't until I went to remove the old seal that I saw how badly it had deteriorated.