Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Advice on performing a CLA

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on performing a CLA on a Spotmatic SP F with SMC Tak 50/f1.4? I have one which has been sitting unused for probably 25 years now (I ran a roll through it maybe 10 years ago), and desperately needs some love. I like tinkering with things so I'd like to have a go at it myself - it's basically a paper weight at the moment, so no great drama if I stuff it up!

Fair to say I have no experience pulling cameras apart

Any guidance would be great!

Cheers, Nick

11-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My advice is to send it to dcshooter
11-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I found this for the SPII: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/nat_cam_spii.pdf
Also found this but doubt it will help in any way: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/pentax_spotmaticf_manual_s.pdf
11-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cameras are easy enough to service if you have the tools, but calibrating the meter and shutter requires instrumentation.

Steve

11-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera service manuals
Their Spotmatic service manual is excellent.
11-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
My advice is to send it to dcshooter
OP's in Australia; postage is going to be a bit on the high side.
11-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would send the camera to Eric in the USA (postage is high, but the service is great and comparable to AU costs).

The lens can be done at home and would be a good project. You will need three tools. A wrench to take the vanity ring off, a spanner to remove element retainer rings and a standard screw driver (small) to take the screws out. Very low risk and good fun.

11-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I would send the camera to Eric in the USA (postage is high, but the service is great and comparable to AU costs).

The lens can be done at home and would be a good project. You will need three tools. A wrench to take the vanity ring off, a spanner to remove element retainer rings and a standard screw driver (small) to take the screws out. Very low risk and good fun.
Well low risk is dependent on being practical.

But a K 1.4 needs

Plastic ointment tub to just clear the 49mm threads cut a ring from rubber gloves to clear the glass and filter threads sandwich and unscrew name plate.
The rest just needed rubber gloves for grip needle nose pliers pretending to be a lens spanner grinded down to just fit slots on file or diamond dust pad.

Mine had fungus several elements down but the lens retaining rings were not tight.
The fungus cleaned off like dust no detectable damage, ladies hand cream, the real problem was getting the residual oil from the cream removed.

Think I needed a screw driver as well.

The big thing is stopping before getting stuck, a coffee break is key.

My lens had nice build quality.