Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #31
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,423
I acquired 100 feet of Panatomic-X film that expired in 1978.
When my bulk loader is empty I'll load a couple of test rolls.

Chris

03-22-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,778
Original Poster
Reviving this thread, here are some more shots from my latest roll. I have a bulk roll of this stuff, I just love it.





03-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member
PGillin's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Florida, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 336
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I acquired 100 feet of Panatomic-X film that expired in 1978.
When my bulk loader is empty I'll load a couple of test rolls.

Chris

Just curious, Why would you do that?

Surely with such an out-of date film it'll be hard to get the developing and printing to go smoothly....

(Also, if you're feeling brave or hasty, just go in the darkroom and spool it by hand!)
03-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 358
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Just curious, Why would you do that?

Surely with such an out-of date film it'll be hard to get the developing and printing to go smoothly....

(Also, if you're feeling brave or hasty, just go in the darkroom and spool it by hand!)
It is so slow it should be ok. If it has been kept dry.

03-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #35
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,423
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Why would you do that?
Kodak Panatomic-X was a lovely film once available everywhere.
In the 1970's it was the go-to slow black and white negative film.
IMO it has a look unmatched by any of today's slow emulsions.

The only result of age I anticipate may be a slight loss of speed.
I'm still looking forward to using it when lighting conditions are right.

Chris
03-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,201
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Kodak Panatomic-X was a lovely film once available everywhere.
In the 1970's it was the go-to slow black and white negative film.
IMO it has a look unmatched by any of today's slow emulsions.
Speaking as someone who never used Panatomix-X, I'm told that New 55's Atomic-X looks and behaves like Panatomic-X. It's only available in 4X5, however.
03-24-2016, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,778
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Kodak Panatomic-X was a lovely film once available everywhere.
In the 1970's it was the go-to slow black and white negative film.
IMO it has a look unmatched by any of today's slow emulsions.

The only result of age I anticipate may be a slight loss of speed.
I'm still looking forward to using it when lighting conditions are right.

Chris
Have you tried RPX-25? I'm sure pan-X is great, but I definitely and pretty happy shooting this stuff, it's so detailed. I still haven't shot my 120 roll of it, I think I'll shot it in my Yashica Mat 124 when I get it back from CLA...

03-25-2016, 01:18 AM   #38
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 3,905
These results look good. I'll have to see if I can get some of this, ISO 25 B&W film would be very useful in sunny Spain. With ISO 100 in a camera that goes to 1/1000s I can only get the aperture down to F/6.3 on a typical sunny day without an ND filter.

03-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 358
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
These results look good. I'll have to see if I can get some of this, ISO 25 B&W film would be very useful in sunny Spain. With ISO 100 in a camera that goes to 1/1000s I can only get the aperture down to F/6.3 on a typical sunny day without an ND filter.
I don't have any problem with Panf+ apart from we don't get any sunny days.

It's ISO is 25-50 or so.

Available in 30.5m still...
03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #40
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 3,905
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
I don't have any problem with Panf+ apart from we don't get any sunny days.

It's ISO is 25-50 or so.

Available in 30.5m still...
I tried Pan F and didn't liek it that much, though it was a few years ago now and I've learned a lot since then. I can shoot Acros or T-Max at 80 so Pan F is only 2/3 of a stop slower.
03-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #41
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Have you tried RPX-25? I'm sure pan-X is great, but I definitely and pretty happy shooting this stuff, it's so detailed.
Panatomic's strength, aside from excellent fine grain, is its ability to render subtle tonal gradients. I shot it for several years until it disappeared and still have a couple of rolls in the 'fridge that I picked up on eBay and am saving for a special occasion. Yes, it is that good.


Steve
03-28-2016, 05:24 AM   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,136
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
These results look good. I'll have to see if I can get some of this, ISO 25 B&W film would be very useful in sunny Spain. With ISO 100 in a camera that goes to 1/1000s I can only get the aperture down to F/6.3 on a typical sunny day without an ND filter.
Wow. It's a rare day here I need to go over 1/250 f8 on iso 400 colour film.
06-06-2016, 05:16 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,778
Original Poster
I finally shot and developed a roll of RPX 25 in 120, on a Yashica Mat 124. Not totally sure about my scanning, I was dead tired last night when I scanned/processed this stuff, but the detail is pretty impressive! More photos on my flickr stream if you're interested.



Zooming in with a tighter DSLR scan of the same photo.


06-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,115
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I finally shot and developed a roll of RPX 25 in 120, on a Yashica Mat 124. Not totally sure about my scanning, I was dead tired last night when I scanned/processed this stuff, but the detail is pretty impressive! More photos on my flickr stream if you're interested.



Zooming in with a tighter DSLR scan of the same photo.

Looks good to me!

Phil.
06-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #45
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 3,905
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I finally shot and developed a roll of RPX 25 in 120, on a Yashica Mat 124. Not totally sure about my scanning, I was dead tired last night when I scanned/processed this stuff, but the detail is pretty impressive! More photos on my flickr stream if you're interested.



Zooming in with a tighter DSLR scan of the same photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks good to me!

Phil.
Ditto.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
film, rollei rpx, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Portrait with RPX 25 bobbotron Post Your Photos! 1 11-12-2015 06:28 PM
Anyone use Rollei Digibase CR200 Slide Film? Pioneer Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 10 07-09-2015 06:29 AM
For Sale - Sold: Rollei Beta 5 Hot shoe mount flash oneill Sold Items 10 03-19-2015 03:42 PM
Rollei Factory auction K-Three Photographic Industry and Professionals 5 03-16-2015 12:08 PM
K200D in Top 25 & K-7 out of Top 25 at Amazon Samsungian Pentax News and Rumors 8 10-20-2009 07:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top